Whats the nicest sandwich you have made or had the pleasure of munging?

Had a gator po’ boy in NOLA last year with lettuce, tomato, pickles, slaw and a spicy remoulade. Was so faaaaaarking good.

There’s a place here in Cairns called Jafflehead (guess what they make). Got some really tasty ones - the cheesy burger and the breakfast one are pretty damn good.

Can’t go past a chicken, cheese & onion toastie with sweet chilli and mayo. Delicious.

1 Like

Apparently from the doco that’s what you should be doing…but to each and their own.

Just had one two hours ago.

Half of it is in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch!

2 Likes

Nice fresh roll or crusty bread sliced thick, hot salami (hungarian or calabrese), chilli olives, sun dried tomato, fresh tomato, roasted peppers, onion, lettuce and fetta., drizzle of olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper and a bit of salt.

Philly cheese steak well up there as well.

Used to be a little shop in Rosebery up here in Sydney that used to do a marvellous chiken schnitzel sanga. Topped with cheese tomata and onion and lots of freshly ground black pepper and salt, mmm.

Am very partial also to a bog standard toasted ham, cheese, tomato and onion sandwich. Toast bread first, ham and tasty cheese on one slice, tomato and onion on other. Place open under grill until cheese starts to go brown. Marry the slices then lightly spread some butter (not margarine) on top.

2 Likes

Anyone go camping and have a fire pit? Make a sandwich with egg, spaghetti and meatballs, cheese. Place the sandwich in a jaffle iron and stick it in there fire.
When cooked tastes absolute gold!
Down some suds, makes me a happy camper

5 Likes

Just checking, there’s no ‘bread’?

Just all that stuff baked into a jaffle? Could be great.

1 Like

There’s bread alright. Keeps everything together with the ch’ heeeeeeese!

Best thing I’ve munged was definitely not a sandwich. :yum:

2 Likes

BLT is pretty good. If needing a bit more substance add a fried egg and a bit of cheese. Must have whole egg mayo.

Another one, if you’ve been out catching a pile of flathead:
Flattie tails fresh as can be, rolled in flour and fried in butter. In buttered squishy white bread, with whole egg mayo and lettuce, salt and pepper…

Almost as good as your shrimp po’ boy from nwarlins (had a few of those many years ago).

1 Like

Flathead tails “As fresh as can be”:
Some of us prefer the hook taken out. Even scaled and boned.

Recipie my good man?

2 Likes

Yep. When my wife and I went. We ordered 1 meal and split it between us. Cheap way of dining. No wonder they have a high obesity stat.

This is what I do:

Grill up some capsicum and onion in some oil and after a minute or 2 chuck in some thinly sliced rib fillet steak with a little butter and some garlic and season with salt and pepper.

When it’s done chuck it in a soft hot dog roll and top with either provolone cheese and/or some kraft cheese spread thats been melted in the microwave. Make sure you get the butter and grease from the pan so it can soak into the roll.

Damn good eatin’.

3 Likes

Looking it up was funny, the yanks really get worked up about what is a “real” cheesesteak. This is my method.

I go with scotch fillet cut paper thin from the butcher, then I roughly chop it up. Season with salt pepper.

Separately prepare ahead some sauted thinly sliced onion, green capsicum & mushrooms.

Little bit of olive oil in a large fry pan, then brown the meat very lightly in 2 batches (about 250g each), you want it still be a bit pink so as not to over cook it all up. Slap 2 slices of singles & 2 slices of provolone on top to cover each batch. Leave for a few minutes just like that to melt it all in good and get a bit of char on the meat underneath.

During all that, be heating up some of those French baguettes you get from Coles that need cooking. Get the larger ones, usually in a two pack. End up like a subway roll.

With everything ready at the same time, I slice the warm roll to make a pocket (one side intact) and spread some mayo on the bottom, slide in the meat & cheese and top with a bit of the vegies. You want more meat than veg.

Then double wrap them in paper first, then foil and leave for about 10 mins. Now I don’t know what kind of voodoo magic goes on during the resting but it just makes such a difference for me.

Cut in half and serve those bad boys.

As you can tell I’m a bit of tragic with this stuff. No one else will be as obsessive as this.

16 Likes

Impressive dedication, right there.

1 Like

Bet ya it was finger lick’n good!

Thanks for reminding me of rare roast beef sandwiches.
I used to have them about twenty years ago in Sydney and gosh, they were good.

I like the votes for salami and basic chicken schnitzel, too.

Florries are delicious, too.

1 Like

I love this. I’m assuming it makes two? 500 grams is a lot of meat

Yeah that’s for two. I generally make 4 each time.

They are pretty filling, I almost exploded after eating one and half. Rest of the family had a half each, which was more than enough apparently.

Eyes > stomach.

I refused to give the last one to the dog. It was lunch two days later.

Today might have to be Philly Cheesesteak Saturday.

3 Likes

Chicken cheese and mayo toasted sandwiches are my go to. Top notch

1 Like