Wheel of Time discussion thread (Books and TV show)

BTW, for non-readers, E4 is a very important episode. There’s a lot of worldbuilding info given about Aes Sedai and warders, the different branches of Aes Sedai, the danger of male channellers, how female Aes Sedai can link together to achieve more, the Tinkers, etc. It was a great ending to the episode.

I also really liked how they show the blackness of saidin being weaved by Logain (and male channellers) and the potential madness through the black figures speaking to him.

1 Like

I think the whole weaving visual is one of my favourite parts of the show. I think when I read the books I kind of just imagined them chucking spells at each other but this fits the theme so well

I actually imagined weaving as being more literal, like weaving thin to thick strings of glowing light together into a cohesive shape that defines the magic being done.

What they’ve done on the show looks more like electricity or smoke, so not quite matching what I imagined, but that’s ok.

1 Like

We didn’t find out til the end of book one.

1 Like

Yeah, agree it didn’t become “official” until the end of book one, but it was pretty obvious early on who it was going to be when you read the book.

@FuriousGeorge you mentioned that you were going to give the series a read. The first book is pretty derivative, very LOTR-like. The series becomes unique only from Book 2 and 3 onwards, when there is more explained about the Aes Sedai, the saidar/saidin system and how it works, and the more evil characters are brought into the story. Just a heads up.

2 Likes

Episode 5 just keeps building. Child Valdas actor was very good.

I probably wouldn’t even read it until after the entire series is complete or abandoned

potentially future tv spoilers

they definately filmed Rand and Tam travelling from the farm to EF so think we may get Tam’s secrets reveal as a cold open to episode 8

1 Like

Really looking forward to this show, don’t have any TV series that I can get in to.

Never watched or read GoT either.

Loved these books though and haven’t read them in a loooooong time. The show will jog the memory from scratch.

Also have a new TV arriving soon and saving this to watch as the very first thing.

1 Like

I disagree…I think they’ve given him way too much screen time already…he’s not a major player in the overall scheme and yet they are setting him up that way.

Big time…almost from the get go…so many changes…small ones are ok…major changes like in episode 4 really peed me off

imo he is

he shows redemption is possible for male casters and theres hope for the ashaman

3 Likes

also

I think bringing him in this early and having nyneave interact with him early makes the healing even more impactful

That all happens much later in the books

He doesn’t really get portrayed positively until he gets healed in Lord of Chaos (book 6) which is also when the Ashaman first appear…there’s just no need this early

Everything doesn’t have to happen in the first few damn episodes…I feel that the writers are rushing to get things out that don’t need to be revealed so early.

At the end of that episode my Dad said:

“It’s amazing how they can weave a story to have such incredible power.”

Which has to be one of the most amazingly accidentally insightful comments about the wheel of time from someone who hasn’t read the book.

Its an adaptation of the whole series, not book 1 then 2 then 3 etc

1 Like

That’s bollocks.

Or, if true, it’s a poor way of doing things.

In a visual medium, how do you show the threat of gentling if you don’t show it happening to Logain? You can’t stop the show for a few pages of explanatory text.

That threat is huge for the future of the story. It is one of the biggest risks the dragon faces. In the story timeline, it happened to Logain around this time. I don’t see how you do the tv show without using Logain as an example in season 1.

And in the books, Logain was more threatening in the eyes of those watching than he was in his own actions. Because the characters interacting with him were terrified, Jordan deliberately slanted his portrayal.

1 Like

How was he gentled in the books?

It certainly wasn’t by breaking the weaves of Aes Sedai and killing some of them. They could have done it without the over the top method they used. The way they did it has also impacted how other characters will now be portrayed.

Lan did not almost die…he was always depicted as a larger than life, almost invincible, figure. But no, Logain smashes through a weave and Lan get’s his throat cut…cue, bullshit scene where Nynaeve somehow taps into the source at some incredible level and saves him. FFS, there was just no need for that

1 Like