When should we aim to challenge?

So never?

weā€™re a absolute minimum of 5 years off contending to be good

ive said it before and ill say it again, its very, very important we nail the next two drafts so those guys are playing GOOD football when the likes of draper, hobbs, perkins, reid, jones, durham, martin, caldwell etc are in their prime

at this stage - the likes of merrett, wright, ridley, redman, laverde, Langford, mcgrath will be the SENIOR players with plenty of experience. this is the most under rated part in all of this. we have zero, ZERO decent senior experience. Shiel is the closest thing to acceptable. stringer, hind, heppellā€¦fmd yeah great examples

I would absolutely trade stringer and shiel for this reason. neither will be around by the time we are good again.

if we short sight ourselves and try and go all in on rhe near future, we will fk this up and weā€™ll be having the same discussion in 5 years

5 Likes

someday-not-tomorrow

1 Like

What do you mean ā€œWhenā€??

Right now, of course. Dammit, Iā€™ve been a supporter of this club for nearly 40 years, and it is my right to see a Premiership next year, if not sooner! And if that doesnā€™t happen, Iā€™ll go support someone else!!

Stupid question.

100% agree. Most important factor for winning a flag is a core of experienced (Over 150 games) players.

Issue with trading those two make us devoid of experienced group which is important for development of younger players,

Thread feels premature.

Just need to keep working on being a perennial finalist , first turn up, then compete.

I mean how many years was it since the cats last flag and they have been playing finals for ages?

All being said. The club wins its first month of footy next year and LID OFF!

We are missing the following components. Put them in place and we can definitely challenge.

A McKay like foward
A May like defender
A Bolton like forward
A Cripps like Mid

A world class high performance manager

A Longmire/Scott like coach

A Selwood like captain

Youā€™re leaving outā€¦
A Bentick

i wouldnt have thought jake is exactly a role model for the younger players with how he has consistently prepared and presented for years

shiel - yeah. heā€™s pretty professional

Depending on the new coachā€¦

Next yearā€¦

Every year.

3 Likes

When we can play 4 quarter footy.