"Where is the love" by Red n' Black Eyed Pea Hearts (warning looong OP)

Benfti, we are a great club.

The only measure of greatness is past deeds, so don’t tell me I’m living there- we all are. A great club is not whoever is currently in the top 4. By that measure GWS was a great club earlier this year. Another reason GWS is not a great club is because it is largely an AFL construct. A great club is built over time by members and supporters, in our case since 1871.

16 flags. Car#ton is also a great club- did you think we would waste our hatred on a lightweight club? But we are the greatest. When we get ambushed by the AFL, Government and media, do we go to water? Do we start sacking players, or shedding members like at Princes Park?

Membership goes up, members vote in supportive board members and make clear the coach is not to be sacked. Servants of the club like Bomba take the hospital handpass and coach right when we need them. Legends like Bruce Reid and James Hird have the guts to say no to the AFL quislings who can’t do anything unless a closed door is involved. The players are right behind Hird. Even the sponsors hang around. So DannyD, there is the love.

Winning every week does not make you a great club, but it is fun for the opera-goers. I don’t like losing but I did not sign up on the condition we kept winning. Maybe the season is shot, but the club is not. The club has become greater.

Far out that's one of the best posts I reckon I've seen on here. Well said.

I ■■■■■■■ love this club, We all do, We will get through this no doubt.

We are and will always be a great club.

You get a big, fat, nonhomo kiss for that.

no sarcasm kiss from me

Think I’ll just go with a lift of the pot and an approving nod.

When I stop thinking Essendon is a great club I'll stop following football.

I would follow and support Essendon if they sunk down to 3 members and a team in the ammo’s, but there are people who have pulled on the jumper and bleed for this club that feel the same way I do, and let down by the last few regimes, and im not talking about those who fit that description that are in the media. These guys dig in because the know we have been a great club, and will be a great club again but it takes people accepting where we are and putting in to move things forward.

why?

I’m a fourth generation supporter and member, 2 family members have donned the sash at lower levels (reserves and 19s) it’s my families club.

So what people are saying is great people make a great club. All clubs have great people.

I’m saying that it’s more than that, and a lot of the other areas and this is independent from wins, we have left a lot to be desired in recent times.

If people accept where we are now, and where have been recently as great, then a truely great club again we will never be.

People are digging in now because they want to get us back to where we should be, on and off the field, because we are not a great club right now and we should be.

We are, but l think ben’s point is, we have been greater.
Nothing wrong to aspiring to reclaim the heights of our greatness.

Definitively, we are a Great club.Should really choose another adjective.

Definition of GREAT

a : notably large in size : huge
b : of a kind characterized by relative largeness —used in plant and animal names
c : elaborate, ample
a : large in number or measure : numerous
b : predominant

So what people are saying is great people make a great club. All clubs have great people.

I’m saying that it’s more than that, and a lot of the other areas and this is independent from wins, we have left a lot to be desired in recent times.

If people accept where we are now, and where have been recently as great, then a truely great club again we will never be.

People are digging in now because they want to get us back to where we should be, on and off the field, because we are not a great club right now and we should be.

Yes, all clubs have great people, Ben
Did you seriously believe that just because a club is your club, it has more great people??

It’s a relative thing, like family. ‘My kids are the most wonderful in the world’, kinda thng. We pretend the things closer to us are ‘greater’ , but we all should know that in reality… it’s a matter of perspective.

Unless ‘great’ means ‘success’ to you.

We are not defined by how we react to success, we are defined by how we react to adversity.

So far the club has handled the ongoing crisis by sticking together. Sure there are signs of cracks, but the fabric holds us together.

This is what defines us as a great club. Even if our side is not performing. We have close to record membership, we have love for the team and the great bunch of players on our list right now.

I saw this in round 2 after we beat Hawthorn. The club is alive, together and its a great fellowship, in good times and bad.

We are not defined by how we react to success, we are defined by how we react to adversity.

So far the club has handled the ongoing crisis by sticking together. Sure there are signs of cracks, but the fabric holds us together.

This is what defines us as a great club. Even if our side is not performing. We have close to record membership, we have love for the team and the great bunch of players on our list right now.

I saw this in round 2 after we beat Hawthorn. The club is alive, together and its a great fellowship, in good times and bad.

Yes. It is through adversity, we fall or we stand together and we grow together, this is when our spirit shines.

Stickin’ together is what good waffles do.

Unfortunately these days clubs don’t have the ‘tribal’ suburban ties they once used to. Players are from all over the country and even other parts of the world (Canadian Mike Pike - just in case we forget) and I think they attract more fair weather supporters.

Now clubs are a business/corporate entity supplying entertainment to the masses, catering to the big end of town and that ‘tribalness’ is disappearing or has disappeared. Who knows how it will be in another generation or so, will supporters have that deep seated passion for their club as a lot of us here do for EFC?

All I know is that when I arrived in Australia as a youngster, I chose Essendon as my team to follow and have done ever since and no matter what ■■■■ is thrown at them, I will always support them. Sticking together and sticking up for our club is the only way to make sure our club survives and moves forward, greater than ever.

If this club died right now, the typeset on the headstone would be comic sans.

Stickin' together is what good waffles do.

Personal experience? lol

Stickin' together is what good waffles do.
Hello fellow waffle better than being the other sort of woffler.

Its a good thread concept.

Our supporter base is an asset.

The best sides that have inspired pride, passion, excitement and good old footy feelings for me have tended to have the following as a foundation:

Hard and tough
A good helping of country boy or rough diamond made good types and associated values
Minimal dickh*ads
Support people are footy people through and through
A culture of hard work but belief that at our club on the big stage, your development can go forward quicker than at smaller support base club
A good sense of humour and fun

Then to weave into that strong foundation, and culture, once its set, you can take raw talent and tame it and reap the benefits.

But if you don’t have the foundation then you bring talent in and it goes backwards.

The glitzy corporate stuff, to me, needs to come on stronger after that foundation is laid and you have some genuine success that you’ve taken to the bank for a few years.

You could almost go with a stripped back hard and tough type approach to the club that is almost purely footy and development and hard work focused. I could imagine Sheed’s fronting that up.