Where is the team Round 1 2023?

I agree. Snelling and Davey both push up the ground. The only small forwards really are Walla and Menzie.

Given it’s an extended squad I’d say they are all named anyway.

Why Walla?? He isn’t fit enough.

3 Likes

Don’t disagree. But what I think is irrelevant. Just what I think will happen. The way the vfl squads and afl squads have been named for the practice matches suggests to me he is playing.

Any team without MENZIE is not worth naming.

6 Likes

Yeah we’ve got Walla & Guelfi who have questions around their fitness.

If we’re about setting high standards being & team first, selecting them kinda goes against this.

1 Like

If walla is selected, Scott loses a lot of credibility

2 Likes

My guess:

Z-T Laverde Kelly
Redman Ridley McGrath

Draper Parish Shiel
Martin Setterfield Durham

Merrett Weideman Perkins
Menzie Wright Voss

Massimo, Caldwell, Davey, Langford

Feel they will role the dice on Parish and Langford as they are too important positionally for us. Got to feel Voss is a big chance for Stringer’s position.

2 Likes

Perhaps not as cut and dry as that. Given his messaging around Stringer I wonder if there are different fitness parameters for Walla.

1 Like

Nah it is

Nah, its not.

Yeah it is

Perhaps to you. To others it may not be.

I may disagree with it based on my own assumptions, but he doesn’t lose credibility in my eyes as I don’t know the parameters they are measuring Walla by.

1 Like

Yeah… nah.

I think we have enough genuine small forwards in Menzies and Davey, supported by our mids who can play forward and apply pressure, that there isnt a solid enough rationale for playing someone who is unfit and hasnt played a senior game in over a year.

It makes perfect sense to transition him back into the team through the VFL where he can build his fitness and confidence back up, and work his way back into the team through good form.

I like how @scotty21 is the only one who remembers what this thread is.

8 Likes

I copped my only blitz suspension ever for starting one!

6 Likes

They started to get a bit racy.
Apparently.

1 Like

I think there is a bit of a trend where clubs like to have a few more smaller options to provide forward pressure and goal scoring options that are not mids.

Cats liked 2 talls, a medium (Rohan) and 3 smalls with Miers and Close often pushing up past Stengle.
I can see us setting up in a similar way with Jones/Voss acting as a medium tall, Walla deeper and Menzie and Davey pushing up and back. Final spot comes down to having an extra small up forward (Snelling) or and extra small defender (Hind/Mass) with the one not picked playing as sub. I think Hind or Mass end up as sub. Just imo.

1 Like

If you aren’t getting suspended on blitz every now and the , you aren’t blitzing properly.

1 Like
5 Likes