5 Likes

Don’t even joke man. What the hell

4 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Who is he sidekick too?

Keating > drover’s dog > Hawke

Well, … if we’re going there

From 88 onwards, yes. Hawke paved the populist way for the necessary reform, though.

In general: Keating>Curtin>Whitlam>daylight> everyone else>giant turd sandwich>Abbott.

1 Like

I dunno, the giant turd sandwich was just saying what we were all thinking.

2 Likes

P Keating would argue with a reasonable degree of persuasion that Robert James Lee Hawke was his sidekick.

I reckon he’d argue that Bob held him back and should have let him drive the batmobile a fair bit sooner.

2 Likes

Big call putting Keating above Curtin. That man had a toughest job of any PM and did it extremely well.

Also, a good case could be made that the last 45 years of Australian political history may be summarised as fighting over preserving or destroying the advances produced by the Whitlam government.

So I would place Curtin and Whitlam as # 1 and 2.

Finally I think Hawke and Fisher can reasonably be placed above “everyone else”.

1 Like

Valid points, all.

Whitlam loses points for unsustainibility (economically), the whole Timor kerfuffle, and gains for the fact that we have never had, before or since, a leader of his vision.

Curtin gets enormous points for telling Churchill to go ■■■■ himself, loses some for “look to America”, though it is not his fault that a necessary decision at the time has led to our longstanding engagement with a nation that has become very different to its WWII self.

Keating was to economics and fiscal policy what Whitlam was to social policy. Visionary and single-mindedly determined to force through what he knew was right. His decisions as treasurer are almost the sole reason we are in the solid economic shape we are today, despite every subsequent Liberal governments bumbling economic management and credit-claiming. His hatred of the Liberals was inspiring (and remains so). And I admired his unparalleled ability to eviscerate his opponents: The job he did on Hewson was an absolute work of art.

Hawke fixed the blight on this nation that was the Fraser years, and built the platform of sustained popularity that Keating was able to consume to make necessary but wildly unpopular changes. For that, and the yardglassing endeavours, he deserves credit.

1 Like

Word :fist: