Who Should We Draft?

Essendon is working out an American recruit today who tested at the US combine this year. 
Highlights reel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8WihsSa80

Pretty ordinary kicking action but that is to be expected for a foreigner who isn't accustom to the sport.

Looks a very good athlete and has really good hands judging by that.

Essendon is working out an American recruit today who tested at the US combine this year. 

Where did you catch wind of this? Like the look of him. Seems super serious about it.

Wonder if they'll run him through some drills at training tomorrow?

Takes the ball at its furthest-away point.
WANT.
P.S. I was joking when I said Mr Hooker was going to the USA to train with our next recruit, again.

Takes the ball at its furthest-away point.
WANT.
P.S. I was joking when I said Mr Hooker was going to the USA to train with our next recruit, again.

hahaha... I followed links and ended up with Marvin Cox (youtube), where the collinwood guy says exactly that  :)

For those who can't see youtube at work, any details on who it is? Everyone is talking about "him", but nobody has said a name!

It'll be very interesting to see how our list management strategy changes next year once we have proper draft picks again.  How much has our recent emphasis on free agency and picking up recycleds been mandated by our lack of alternatives?  Given we've been pretty conservative with delistings over the last couple of years (so much that there could easily be 6-8 main list changes coming up at the end of next season), will we look to draft deep into the late rounds or will we bring in more recycleds?  How will that affect the gametime/development of our young blokes?  And given that quality free agents are generally towards the end of their careers, how will that affect our age profile?  Can a club under the current rules sustain a high-quality list through continual topping up?  If a club tries, what will the strategy do to its age profile and ability to attract/develop young talent?  t's all very much up in the air, given how new the rules are.

No secret I'm generally more in favour of drafting rather than poaching/recycling to build a list, though there is of course a place for both and a large part of my preference is based less on actual rational analysis and more on the fact that I hate cheering for players I despised at their old team!

I agree that there are a heap of players who will need to have decisions made on them next year - Dalgiesh, Kav, NOB, Jerrett, Browne, Hams, Aylett, Steinberg, Ashby, Gleeson (if he went backwards in 2015) plus the older possibilities in Fletch, Winders, Gwilt and Chapman. That's twelve senior list and two rookie list players that would need to show a certain level to justify 2016 contracts.
The thing is, even after the sanctions expire we still only have one 1st and one 2nd round picks to use (well, as long as nobody does a Ryder). If 6-8 of those above needed to go/retired, then even "without sanctions" that is still 4+ late picks for the senior list. So I think the club will still look closely at the free agents and discards, especially if our performance has us in the premiership window.
I think the success of Hawthorn and Sydney in using traded, recycled and FA players will also influence ours and others thinking for a while. Both have shown that you can keep a team at the top of the ladder a long while utilising these approaches. If EFC could go back and change things so the sanctions didn't exist, I don't think that would be at the cost of Cooney and Chapman. I think it would be at the cost of a NOB, Aylett, maybe Edwards. And I think the lsit would be stronger with both the young talent and older talent there.

For those who can't see youtube at work, any details on who it is? Everyone is talking about "him", but nobody has said a name!

Alexander Aurrichio, baseball/soccer player from Columbia University, 197cms, born 1990.

Also majored in law which will come in handy

Essendon looking at him seriously. Is training with St. Kilda today.

It'll be very interesting to see how our list management strategy changes next year once we have proper draft picks again.  How much has our recent emphasis on free agency and picking up recycleds been mandated by our lack of alternatives?  Given we've been pretty conservative with delistings over the last couple of years (so much that there could easily be 6-8 main list changes coming up at the end of next season), will we look to draft deep into the late rounds or will we bring in more recycleds?  How will that affect the gametime/development of our young blokes?  And given that quality free agents are generally towards the end of their careers, how will that affect our age profile?  Can a club under the current rules sustain a high-quality list through continual topping up?  If a club tries, what will the strategy do to its age profile and ability to attract/develop young talent?  t's all very much up in the air, given how new the rules are.

No secret I'm generally more in favour of drafting rather than poaching/recycling to build a list, though there is of course a place for both and a large part of my preference is based less on actual rational analysis and more on the fact that I hate cheering for players I despised at their old team!

I agree that there are a heap of players who will need to have decisions made on them next year - Dalgiesh, Kav, NOB, Jerrett, Browne, Hams, Aylett, Steinberg, Ashby, Gleeson (if he went backwards in 2015) plus the older possibilities in Fletch, Winders, Gwilt and Chapman. That's twelve senior list and two rookie list players that would need to show a certain level to justify 2016 contracts.
The thing is, even after the sanctions expire we still only have one 1st and one 2nd round picks to use (well, as long as nobody does a Ryder). If 6-8 of those above needed to go/retired, then even "without sanctions" that is still 4+ late picks for the senior list. So I think the club will still look closely at the free agents and discards, especially if our performance has us in the premiership window.
I think the success of Hawthorn and Sydney in using traded, recycled and FA players will also influence ours and others thinking for a while. Both have shown that you can keep a team at the top of the ladder a long while utilising these approaches. If EFC could go back and change things so the sanctions didn't exist, I don't think that would be at the cost of Cooney and Chapman. I think it would be at the cost of a NOB, Aylett, maybe Edwards. And I think the lsit would be stronger with both the young talent and older talent there.

Don't reckon we would be close to cutting 12 players if our performance had us in the Premiership window.  I do get your point on the post and I think it is a great post.

Essendon looking at him seriously. Is training with St. Kilda today.

Whoring himself around like Judd?  That was distasteful.  No thanks. :)

Don't reckon we would be close to cutting 12 players if our performance had us in the Premiership window.  I do get your point on the post and I think it is a great post.
Well, I said 12 were up for review. I also then said if we cut 6 we would still be using 4 late picks. I agree if we're in the slot the chances of delisting 12 are low. They're probably low full stop, that would be a huge turn-over.

It'll be very interesting to see how our list management strategy changes next year once we have proper draft picks again. How much has our recent emphasis on free agency and picking up recycleds been mandated by our lack of alternatives? Given we've been pretty conservative with delistings over the last couple of years (so much that there could easily be 6-8 main list changes coming up at the end of next season), will we look to draft deep into the late rounds or will we bring in more recycleds? How will that affect the gametime/development of our young blokes? And given that quality free agents are generally towards the end of their careers, how will that affect our age profile? Can a club under the current rules sustain a high-quality list through continual topping up? If a club tries, what will the strategy do to its age profile and ability to attract/develop young talent? t's all very much up in the air, given how new the rules are.

Good post.
However, I reckon Ashby, Gleeson and Jerrett are pretty safe for 2016.
Another mid-long term injury for Browne and/or Pears would just about do it for them. NO'B would be on the shakiest ground due to not showing a lot ever since his debut (except fot endurance) and Stien has to prove he's worthy of a SENIOR spot or he's gone unfortunately.

Ashby, Jerrett and Gleeson are certainly at the safer end of the spectrum. But fundamentally, none have proven themselves yet. If there was more list pressure and they had shocking (but injury free) years next year, questions would need to be asked. The fact we’ve got so many who will be scrutinised and you never turn over 12 players probably means they have more safety, but if they didn’t perform they might only get one year deals.

When was the last time we gave someone under 28 a one year deal?

We always tend to give out two year deals even when it’s burnt us and was looking likely to burn us (Jetta, Pears, Gumby)

When was the last time we gave someone under 28 a one year deal?
We always tend to give out two year deals even when it's burnt us and was looking likely to burn us (Jetta, Pears, Gumby)

Browne is on his second consecutive one year deal.  I think Hams is on a one year deal as well.

correct.

I thought Browne got 2 years when we unveiled like 8 blokes at once?

Spike used to get 1 year deals to keep him on edge (his choice) didn't he?

Spike used to get 1 year deals to keep him on edge (his choice) didn't he?

Yep
1 Like