Who Should We Draft?

What did I miss?

Parish is being sacrificed…errr…I mean swapped for Martin.

1 Like

sigh, fools I tell ya.

I actually think if the team performs as most of us expect someone who is pretty reasonable won’t get as much game time as they hope and they’ll be looking for more opportunity. It’s not out of the question that Parish could be in that boat.

We haven’t, and I very much doubt we will try to rejig anything so we do.

No-one in the Martin class.

1 Like

Lol!!! Or Bob Hadfield and Esmae Watson!!!

I think this is a good post. However I would be surprised if his good end of 2018 form didn’t continue or improve.

I just feel as if the endurance penny dropped.

1 Like

Typical Blitz who have an obsession with ordinary players - I can’t see Martin being in our best 22.

What draft pick currency can we trade this year?

Am I right that it’s currently 2 x 2nd rounders (2019 & 2020)? But possibly also our 2020 1st round pick if the AFL give us clearance to do so.

Couldn’t find a spot for him on the bench? Put him in a strong side like ours and you’ll very quickly have an appreciation that he’s slightly better than ordinary. Dodoro no doubt sees him as the silk on the outside and up forward that we need more of. Would be amazing watching he, Fantasia, Walla and co rolling through midfield & the forward line together. Has time, and a sidestep that wins you grand finals.

2 Likes

If he still wants to come to us we will be able to get him. This is the last year of his contract.

2 Likes

Think salary cap will be the challenge though.

1 Like

Gold Coast still need to trade him.
Remember what they forced the Hawks to pay for Jaeger.

More than challenging.

And not much relief likely. Bags probably goes, but he wouldn’t be on much. Hooker and Myers are the next oldest and they look to have a few more years left.

It’ll be interesting to this point what happens even if Disco doesn’t try and do a deal for Martin.
Maybe it’s the year where calls are made on guys who are on the periphery of the best 22. Laverde, Guelfi, Stewart, Hartley and maybe a tough call made on one of Gleeson Ridley and Redman who are all vying for a similar spot in the team. Then of course there’s Parish…

And then of course there is the fact that we may not need, or even have a place, for Martin as our own players develop.

Generally it costs more to bring a player over into your club.
We were very lucky Shiel took unders to come to us compared to offers from Blues/Saints/hawks
Although I Believe shiel is still paid very handsomely in comparison to our other stars.

For Martin there are a number of things working against us

• Spots on the list, I cant see a huge amount of turnover at the end of the year, but who knows, maybe some players will want to leave for more opportunity elsewhere if our 22 is hard to get into and they are offerred more $$ elsewhere.
  • Trading with the suns
  • Salary cap - with lots of young guys improving no one leaving can we fit Martin in.
1 Like

Pretty reasonable analysis I reckon.

I’m a big fan of Martin’s potential, and I think in a better environment than the Suns he could develop into an exceptional player. But I think it was a choice between Shiel and Martin, in the end. Just don’t know how we’d be able to fit them both (plus the poaching premium) under the salary cap.

I would be surprised if we don’t lose a player or two this year, but I’d expect that’d be more among talls than smalls. Clubs will be nosing around whichever ones of Smack, Brown, Ambrose, even Stewart etc aren’t getting a regular game - all have shown that they can perform at the top level, and clubs with a structural kpp deficit will think they could slot right in. Regardless, losing any of these guys isn’t going to free up a load of cap space, especially cos some of our younger players will be likely in line for pay rises too.

I don’t think trading with the Suns will be an issue, one way or another. After Shiel, we have no trade currency so we’ll be taking him as a FA or not at all.

List spots - if he wanted to come over, we’d find room somehow. It’d probably mean someone gets cut or moved on who is probably unlucky for it, but I’m sure we’d do it.

3 Likes