Who stays and Who goes

Part of any fridge restocking (read: list management) is making changes. Part of any good fridge restocking is choosing the right players to let go of. 

according to Dunlop's thread 

Ashby

Browne

Daniher

Fletcher

Gleeson

Gregory

Hams

Hardingham

Hibberd

Hocking

Howlett

Jetta

Van Unen

Winderlich 

Zaharakis

are all out of contract at the end of 2014, as are all rookies:

Ambrose

Dell'Olio

Rayner

Steinberg

Thurlow 

My question is, with the mandatory 3 list changes per year, who stays and who goes. 

A lot of form to look at yet, but if it were me making the call today it would be Stein, Dell, Jetta and one of VU/Gregory to the rookie list, and we'll probably trade some unfortunate bugger.

It barely needs pointing out that it is not me making the call and we should all be glad of it.

Colyer and No’B on 2 year contracts? Gee.

Jetta, Van Unen and Gregory would be in the gun. Dell and Steinberg may not get another contract from the rookie list.

A lot of form to look at yet, but if it were me making the call today it would be Stein, Dell, Jetta and one of VU/Gregory to the rookie list, and we'll probably trade some unfortunate bugger.
It barely needs pointing out that it is not me making the call and we should all be glad of it.

Do we need to keep doing this whole delist from the main list, but put on the rookie list nonsense?
We've done it with what, 4 guys now, and it's yielded zero senior games.
If they're not up to it, they're not up to it, and it wastes a rookie spot.

l think this is thread worth revisiting at the other end of the season. Early days still, a lot of footy still to be played between now and when decisions need to be made. Patience.

Although l would say there were a few clowns in the match review thread after the game yesterday who should be moved on.

Do we need to keep doing this whole delist from the main list, but put on the rookie list nonsense?
We've done it with what, 4 guys now, and it's yielded zero senior games.
If they're not up to it, they're not up to it, and it wastes a rookie spot.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think an extra year on the rookie list is a big ask for a young tall you have faith in.

Yeah, Gregory maybe… Van Unen would just end up another rookie list clogger, which we seem to be carrying too many of in recent times.

l think this is thread worth revisiting at the other end of the season. Early days still, a lot of footy still to be played between now and when decisions need to be made. Patience.
Although l would say there were a few clowns in the match review thread after the game yesterday who should be moved on.

I was kind of hoping this would be a season long discussion. That was very ambitious because I see your point.

Dare I say it, Fletch

Ashby - possibly shown enough already to be recontracted, played 2 games and has looked ok

Browne - would be harsh to delist, due to his character I think we would offer another contact...who else is going to get Jobe his coffees :)

Daniher - Multiple year deal offer here. Efc want this done sooner rather than later I imagine. Improving every game.

Fletcher - Up to him if we don't win the flag in 2014 1 more year please plus break 400 game barrier.

Gleeson - Multiple year deal similar to Daniher will get better as the year progresses.

Hams - going on that 1 game last year he put body on the line plus vfl watchers re contract

Hardingham - recontract

Hibberd - recontract multiple years

Hocking recontract

Howlett recontract

Winderlich 1 year

Zaharakis  recontract

Players id look at letting go.

Gregory - Id say delist, but need to see how he performs rest of the season. Maybe delist and rookie?  how long can we wait for his development.

Jetta - Hope he gets to 100 games....likely to be his final year at EFC.

Van Unen - in trouble as need 3 to delist, I hope he improves though, doing something at VFL level right to earn a debut.

However we may trade a contracted player making 3 list changes.

rookies:

Ambrose - looks like getting elevated to senior player, see how year pans out.

Dell'Olio - looks gone too slow at AFL level.

Rayner - keep as rookie

Steinberg looks gone as well - Ambrose in front of him. Could be a handy player at another club. Maybe saints interested would arguably be as good as their second or third tall forward after Reiwoldt.

Thurlow - Keep as rookie.

Dare I say it its too early to be discussing this, we would have a better idea at the middle of the year. 

Colyer's contracted?

Colyer's 2015 is the new Jetta's 2014.

Colyer's contracted?

Colyer and a third rounder is our new trade bundle

Colyer's contracted?

Colyer and a third rounder is our new trade bundle

How many packets of chips could we get?
Samboy or Thins?
Full packet? Half eaten? Empty?

Keep Gregory for another 12 months. Big blokes take some time.

I'd be surprised if Gregory is turfed. Has shown improvement and was always a long term prospect. Also the state of our list may dictate some conservatism in retaining tall potential key position players.

should i stay or should i go 

wwwwwoooooooo

Yeah, Gregory maybe... Van Unen would just end up another rookie list clogger, which we seem to be carrying too many of in recent times.

How many guys on the list would you actually put in a category of list cloggers?
My mental process is that's guys who've been around enough years to crack it, but haven't, and don't look like they're getting much closer.
I get 3: Colyer, Jetta and Pears.
I don't think that's a lot. At all.
There's not much from 4th year up (Browne? Off a knee...) that aren't first 22 players or very close.
And being harsh on the rest, 3rd-year-or-less guys is just stupidity.

It should have read ‘rookie list’ cloggers.

It was directed at Steinberg and Dell, and a few before them.

Jetta is the only clogger on the main list imo. Colyer getting there

Oh. Rookie list cloggers.

Umm, who cares? :wink: (please don’t turn this into a flamewar, you angry man).

Not really fussed, if the club still sees them as a backup option (Dell) or some development left (Stein), and we’re missing out on the last rookie pick or two…meh. I think overall we’ve done well clearing the decks on the main list and getting the best guys who’ve slipped through the gaps, that’s the downside.