Who stays and Who goes

I woulda thought once Fletcher retires, Carlisle takes his spot. In essence, have Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle as talls and Bags, Hibbo and Demps as med/smalls.

Belly in the goal square, Daniher CHF and Hardy/Ambrose as third tall.

I woulda thought once Fletcher retires, Carlisle takes his spot. In essence, have Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle as talls and Bags, Hibbo and Demps as med/smalls.

that works for me

Not every team has three talls though.
We've been so spoiled with Fletch, as he can play 'tall' or 'small.' I don't really see any of Hurley, JC or Hooker being able to do that.
That's where Pears comes into it. Hopefully.
I'd love to see Jake, Hurls and Hooker in the same backline, but I'm not sure it's always practical.

Colyer's contracted?
Colyer's 2015 is the new Jetta's 2014.

Colyer and a third rounder is our new trade bundle

I reckon Ricky Dyson would be justifiably upset at that.

TRUTH. Say what you like, but at least Ricky Dyson could kick.

We've been so spoiled with Fletch, as he can play 'tall' or 'small.' I don't really see any of Hurley, JC or Hooker being able to do that.
I'd love to see Jake, Hurls and Hooker in the same backline, but I'm not sure it's always practical.

West Coast always have AT LEAST 3 talls, and often 4 or 5, at any one time. One of our tall backs could play the loose, but our coaching staff always make our loose player (if we have one) a mid at the stoppages. With our list, we're sorted for midfielders for now. We certainly need to recruit at least 1, possibly 2 talls who are more forward-inclined, even if Fletch does play another season. Maybe a developing ruck as well (although we know how that turned out this past draft!)

yet Pears isn't smart or agile/mobile enough to play on smaller opponents and the bigger opponents he would play well on, hooker and now hurley will get first dibs.

The only way it'll work is if Pears takes the number 1 forward, hurley the second and Hooker to play the floating back position however that would require the opposition to have a 3rd tall to play off, as I don't think Hooker would be able to look after a smaller opponent.

I dunno, Pears is a bit quicker and more agile than the other two, and It’s not like he’ll be taking the best small forward.

I reckon developing versatility on who he can play on, is what Pears needs to reignite his career. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

What exactly does Pears do that Carlisle/Hooker/Hurley don't do? He'd he slower than all 3, and his disposal and rebound isn't better than any of them.
If he was 09 Pears and still had that pace, and that cocky "chase me if you can" rebound, I could see the argument.
Right now he's got the mobility & skills of a big bloke but not the height.

I dunno, Pears is a bit quicker and more agile than the other two, and It's not like he'll be taking the best small forward.
I reckon developing versatility on who he can play on, is what Pears needs to reignite his career. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Needs to get his pace back and really back himself - otherwise he's kind of the worst of both worlds IMHO.

I disagree that he’s slower than the others mentioned, and (based on nothing more than a few snippets in pre season games - Which is how all players should be evaluated) I reckon he is getting his ground level mobility back.

Of the guys mentioned, he is the most suitable ‘type’ to play that role. That’s not to say he will, or that he’ll ever find that 09 form. That’s the million dollar question, really.

But for the sake of hypothetical discussion, I’d prefer a backline of Hooker, Hurley and Pears, rather than Hooker, Hurley Carlisle, as far as balance goes.

On Fletcher, if his body is capable and he’s still in our best 22 (pretty sure he will be) he should be encouraged to play next year. As to a successor, I too doubt Pears has the flexibility. Potentially it’s Stein, potentially it needs to be a combination of players depending on who we are playing.
We definitely need one of Stein or Pears as defensive taller back up. Arguably we need both.
Gregory - only the club would know. DVU will need to show a bit as a mature ager to stay - especially since Gleeson and Ashby are showing signs they can fill in (or more than fill in) for that position anyway.
I think Jetta will be delisted, and (at the moment) I would like to see Colyer traded for a bag of chips. Dell is definitely gone.
I think Browne either needs to be delisted or delisted and rookied. He hasn’t proven himself on the main list and there would be doubts he can ever stay fit enough. If he’s still got enough potential, let him develop it on the rookie list. Frees up a main list spot for Ambrose.
So I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jetta, Browne, DVU delisted, Colyer traded and Ambrose promoted. So three draft spots on the main list. Dell delisted, Browne rookied, so one spot on the rookie list.
Then we need at lest two talls from those three ND picks, and another ruck option for one of the last two spots. Doesn’t leave much for smalls…

I thought Pears looked good in pre-season.

Granted I only saw the one NAB Cup game but in that game he pulled off a few blind turns, a 360 to get out of the grasp of 3 opponents and his disposal was solid.

We all know just how good he is when he is fully fit and confident and I saw enough in that one game to suggest that he could get back to the player he was.

I’m not giving up on him yet and I believe he can still become a great player.

I agree that he’s getting closer to where he was & needs to be but I genuinely think the other three either are actually quicker (Carlisle definitely is) or read it that much quicker and more definitively they’re “playing” quicker. Not necessarily a slight on Pears btw.

“Type” is an interesting one, you wouldn’t think a 38yo guy almost 200cm would be the flexible “mid size” tall who can go onto smalls, rebound, do just about anything… but he is. Just have to work with what you’ve got.

Hope he does get back.

Solves a lot of problems elsewhere with tall balance (ie Hooker {Pears} & Hurley permanently back, Joe {Ambrose} + Bell permanent forward, Carlisle switching betwixt the two arcs)

Reckon

Delist Jetta Zaka Melksham Dempsey howlett Stanton Heck reckon Watson as well.

Rebuild…

All the above based on form alone.

Have I gone too early on some of these guys???

Reckon
Rebuild....

one of these things is not like the other

Who are Heck and Recon? Are they on the rookie list?

Who are Heck and Recon? Are they on the rookie list?

Recon would have to be Neale Danihers recon(structed) knees.

Reckon
Rebuild....

Howlett is spelt with a lower case 'h'?

Reckon
Rebuild....

You serious? Of all the woeful things I've said in above post you pick a grammar mistake ....
By the way yes howlett is spelt with a lower case h in this post.

Reckon
Rebuild....

You serious? Of all the woeful things I've said in above post you pick a grammar mistake ....
By the way yes howlett is spelt with a lower case h in this post.

Geez calm down, I was sarcastically answering sameolds sarcastic comment.