Who wants to be a contract manager?

So i’ve done a few sums and come up with a table of what the average wages would be across a list.

The $10.36M salary cap is based on the 2016 season.

So assuming the 2015 list, how would you distribute it? As a rule you can’t also pay below $9.842M as per the 95% rule.

Feel free to change around the numbers in what category, but lets keep the wages as per the table so we can make comparisons.

We talk about X player should only be paid $ but when you try to calculate it there is a lot of players who are earning a lot less! When you think about the top teams, there are a lot of players who could be paid a lot more at another club.

Have a go and share your results.

All the more proof that paying Carlisle any more than about 500k is absurd

All the more proof that paying Carlisle any more than about 500k is absurd

Try plugging in players and you’ll realise there isn’t much coin going around or comparing to a Carlton who probably has 0 players in that top bracket!

Why have you done so many at 13? Is there a source for that I’m not familiar with? I thought they’d be more evenly spread.

Why have you done so many at 13? Is there a source for that I'm not familiar with? I thought they'd be more evenly spread.

I said you can play with the numbers as you wish. If you want more or less then change it.

I should say though, the AFL has said the average wage of the player is $240,000.

You’d assume our best 22 would be on the average.

Oh, this is fun!

I need to export this to excel when I have some time

I think there’d be a few more on the start wage wouldn’t there? … Maybe up to 6?

IIRC all draftees start at that (150k) & is it a 2 year contract straight out of the gate?

That would make at least all 1st & 2nd years at no more than that.

Aren’t rookies on more than that these days? Isn’t it somewhere closer to $75k?

In any case - should set up a banding/bracket system - much easier to manage. Only downside it you might have players over or under paid slightly

Also, only half a rookies salary is counted in the cap, & I think maybe rookie B listed is all outside it … ?

Geez, yeah and veterans only counting half of theirs too… complicated!

Good post, Soulnet. That really does put things in perspective.

There should be a brown paper bag option so Fark Carlton fans can play as well.

This should give you a good idea of league wide distribution of salaries. It also goes to show how some of the figures being thrown around as reasonable for Carlisle are just plain ridiculous.

From this we could determine that on average 1 player at each club has a $700k+ salary, 3 players between $500k-700k, 4 players between $400k-500k, 7 players $300-400k, and the remaining are on less than $300k. So if you’re not within the teams top 4 players, and you’re getting paid over $500k, you can consider yourself overpaid.

Hawthorn paying 700k to Frawley. Carlisle much better player for mine. Circumstance and timing have as much to do with it as outright value. You have a very narrow view.

Hawthorn paying 700k to Frawley. Carlisle much better player for mine. Circumstance and timing have as much to do with it as outright value. You have a very narrow view.

Frawley was reported to be on $2.2M over four years, so $550k per year (top 8 at the club, which seems plausible). If Frawley was being paid $700k, he would likely to be the highest or second highest paid at Hawhtorn. I think that’s pretty unlikely.

All I’m trying to do is provide some context by giving these figures. Of course circumstances and timing will dictate that some players will get more than their worth. But the reality is that clubs need to abide by salary cap restrictions, and if you pay someone much more than their worth, it is going to sting you down the track. You say “narrow minded”, I say “pragmatic”.

Speaking of complicated.

1st year players get a base amount on the round they’re picked ($73k 1st, $66k 2nd, $63k 3rd+) plus $3600 a match, plus an additional end of year bonus of up to $10k depending on how many games they play. 2nd year players get $75k-$96k (1st), $68k-$87k (2nd), $64k-$83k (3rd+) plus $3800-$5200 per game depending on how many games they played in their first year.

So a new draftee over his first two years can earn anywhere from $128k to $365k, which I imagine makes organising the cap a pretty fluid affair.

Not disagreeing, however Frawley was an AA before he went to Haw wasn’t he?

This should give you a good idea of league wide distribution of salaries. It also goes to show how some of the figures being thrown around as reasonable for Carlisle are just plain ridiculous.

From this we could determine that on average 1 player at each club has a $700k+ salary, 3 players between $500k-700k, 4 players between $400k-500k, 7 players $300-400k, and the remaining are on less than $300k. So if you’re not within the teams top 4 players, and you’re getting paid over $500k, you can consider yourself overpaid.

Need to add an extra million to the cap though from 2014.

Yeah, I just did the exercise too, and other than marquee players, I doubt anyone gets above 800 K, I don’t think we’d have any players above that.

It worked pretty well averaging out by dividing the players in each bracket by 18, but actually comes up 5 players short of a full list plus rookies, who in our case we could safely assume are the 5 in the lowest bracket…

PER CLUB
.5 @ 8 to 1 mil

2 @ 600 - 800

2 @ 500 - 600

4 @ 400 - 500

7 @ 300 - 400

8 @ 200 - 300

11@ 100 - 200

5 @ 60 - 100

So if we nip off the .5 at the top, that leaves 39 accounted for vis a vis the above AFL issued graph, so all that remains to work out is where do the extra 5 fit into the broken down per club figures, so that it roughly comes to the cap allowance.

One extra into each of the 5 from 2nd bottom (100 - 200) to 2nd top (500 - 600) categories would probably be fair.so…

2 @ 600 - 800

3 @ 500 - 600

5 @ 400 - 500

8 @ 300 - 400

9 @ 200 - 300

12@ 100 - 200

5 @ 60 - 100

43 players Total …and if you multiply each brackets avge (100 - 200 = avge 150 etc) by the amount of players in each bracket, … it comes to … drum roll pls …
$10.3 million … so… spot on.

And putting players into said brackets, I’d start with Jobe & BJ being the 2 in the top bracket… Hurls Cags & Hooksey in the next … I get abit stuck at that point … who’s the next 5?

Need to add an extra million to the cap though from 2014.

The cap is scheduled to rise $250k per year until 2017. That means salaries will rise approximately 4% each year.