Willie Di*ck article

For your reading pleasure (please move if there’s a more suitable category)

Willie ■■■■ gave up promising AFL career after only seven games
MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
May 26, 2017 8:00pm
Subscriber only
KEVIN Sheedy called them “Hollywood” — the good-lookers — and in Sheedy’s time they were Leon Baker, Gavin Wanganeen and Willie ■■■■.

Two of them are legends of the red and black and the other is a might-have-been.

Willie ■■■■ played only the one season at Essendon — seven games, in fact — before family forced him back home to Western Australia.

It was 1992, the year before the “Baby Bombers” delivered Sheedy his third premiership.

Willie was from Goomalling, a wheatbelt town near Northam. Today’s population is 499. It also has produced the Carr brothers, Josh and Matthew.

Willie, now 51, is a Noongar and had the football traits for which Noongar men are renowned.

“He had flair, good touch, great evasion, beautiful kick — if he had stayed he probably would have played 100-plus games, like Dean Rioli,’’ Sheedy said.

“He’s not unlike Rioli. He was quicker, but it depends on what you call quickness. All Riolis are quick, but put them over 100m they will get beaten by a lot.

“Put them over 5m and they’re quick over three angles.”

Willie ■■■■ played just seven AFL games for Essendon in 1992 before going back home to WA. Picture: Simon Santi (The West Australian)
Sheedy said there were only about 35,000 Noongar people alive today — presumably half of them women — and they had produced 54 AFL players.

In 2012, Willie, a half-forward, was named in the best 25 WAFL players from the past 25 years and, Sheedy said, Willie is in contention to be picked in the all-time greatest Noongar team, which will be selected next year by Barry Cable, John Todd and Mal Brown, with Sheedy as a consultant.

He was champion at home, yet like hundreds, maybe thousands of indigenous youngsters, he will always be a might-have-been in Victoria.

He arrived at the Bombers at age 26 from the Perth Football Club with his wife, Delys, and their three children, William who was five, Dean, three and Dannielle, one.

“I got a job with the Danihers in their cleaning business,” Willie said this week.

“Because we’d start at 6am, I’d leave home at 5.30am, do my work, go to training and then get home at 8.30 at night.

“The kids wouldn’t see me through the week. (Delys) had it pretty hard. It was up to her to look after the kids and I’d only see her on the weekends and one of those days was when we played.’’

Willie ■■■■’s 1992 profile picture.
Delys and the kids returned home shortly before the 1992 season ended and, despite a two-year offer to stay, Willie said no.

“I had to sacrifice my footy career, you know. She wasn’t happy over there so we came back over here.”

Willie played in the reserves premiership team in ’92 alongside James Hird, Joe Misiti and Mark Mercuri and a veteran named Terry Daniher.

Wanganeen, who was then 19, described Willie as “very talented, a lovely, lovely fellow, one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet”.

He added: “He was very silky, very football smart. When he got the footy, he made the game slow down. He made time and that says to me, once he adjusted and got a year or two in the system, he would have been almost Daniel Wells-like, just smooth.

“I’m interested to know why he went back.”

Odds_Banners_AFL.jpg

Family?

“Yeah, that rings a bell.”

Michael Long, who was 22 in 1992, had a better memory.

“He shouldn’t have went home,” Long said.

“I reckon his wife wanted to go back home, that’s what I remember. He could play.

“He could have forged a long career at the Bombers.

“We always had the saying ‘Kickett-Long-■■■■’, because that’s when Derek was there.

“All the boys used to say that, that was the in-joke. It was short lived, unfortunately.’’

Sheedy remembered it as if it were yesterday: “Willie ■■■■? He went home. His wife wanted to go home.”

Twenty-five years later, Willie wishes he had stayed.

“It was the best thing I’ve ever done,” he said. “I have regrets; my wife regrets coming back here, too.”

The Dicks are a famous football family in Goomalling.

Willie’s grandfather, Paddy ■■■■, played for Railway Union and Avon, his dad Norman and Norman’s four bothers — Syddy, Doug, Jimmy and Patrick — all played for Konnongorring Football Club.

Willie ■■■■ sacrified an AFL career for family. Picture: Simon Santi (The West Australian)
The town had one church, a football oval, a wheat bin and a hall.

“(The club) folded when I was about 10,” Willie said.

At 18, Willie left Goomalling for Perth to start a career in the big smoke. At 25, he won the Perth B&F and he left for the even bigger smoke.

The Bombers took him at pick No.21 in the national draft, which was both exciting and perplexing for Willie.

He remembers asking the Bombers why they didn’t recruit him when he was 18. He was told: “We heard you wouldn’t want to come over this way.”

“I said to them, ‘No one bothered to ask me’.”

Willie returned to Perth for the 1993 season and left at the end of that season to play in Northam.

Sean Gorman, a senior research fellow at Curtin University in Perth who wrote the book Brotherboys, The story of Jim and Phillip Krakouer, lived in Northam for five years and said Willie was an “amazing footballer”.

“Willie was tough, hard, could read the play like a book,” he said. “Noongars have a natural affinity for the game.

“With black fellas, all you need is a football, you just get the footy and play. It’s one of the greatest stories in Australian sport — Noongar people playing AFL footy.”

It was only seven games at Essendon but it has given Willie a lifetime of memories.

“I’m amazed because it feels like I played 100 games because people still — and I don’t know if it’s because of my name — but they still come up to me,” he said.

His favourite memory was his first game, against St Kilda at Waverley. He had 12 disposals and kicked two goals.

His funniest memory was playing against Richmond at the MCG in front of 35,000 people. He recalls smothering the ball, scooping it up and kicking a goal on his non-preferred left foot.

He was pumped until the runner arrived and told him Sheedy wanted him to kick on his right side and “wanted him to straighten up”.

Willie thought otherwise. “I thought I’d waste time straightening up,” he said.

What he won’t forget was the buzz of Melbourne.

Willie is a might-have-been, but proudly is not a never-was.

“I loved it, but like I said, family came first with me,” he said.

“I had been with Delys since I was 18 and I’m still with her and I’m still happy.

“But I have no doubts I could have made it.”

27 Likes

■■■■.

Swear filter is really dicking us around.

5 Likes

Kickett, Long, ■■■■ had the makings on a memorable centre line

1 Like

Is Dean ■■■■’s car still at Windy Hill?

1 Like

Shouldn’t ‘Willie’ be censored as well?

1 Like

Willie had an outstanding career in the WAFL with Perth FC in mostly poor teams too.

He was a beautiful footballer to watch, with sublime skills and toughness to go with them.

Glad to see that Robbo tracked him down as I’ve often wondered whatever became of him.

1 Like

Remember listening to that St Kilda game and Willie’s debut on 3aw. Shane Healy and Rex Hunt going ballistic commentating. Reckon Rex wishes Willie’s career had kicked on too just quietly.

1 Like

Today, the club would have the knowledge + resources to support a player like Willie and his family and would have had more of a chance at keeping him/them in Melbourne for longer. Timing has a big impact on life. Was a cracking player at Perth and was always surprised West Coast didn’t pick him up.

2 Likes

I remember just about every game he played in 1992. Hated that year, especially when we lost to Hawthorn by 160 point at the G.

Don’t recall Willie to be good in any of them, kicked a few goals I think but didn’t have any real impact. Except we did love his name.

I thought he struggled in his 7 games and played WAFL style footy. Of course another pre-season and time adapting to AFL footy could have made a difference -

Good article. I was surprised wanganeen rated him so highly but I’ll take his assessment as fact. What could have been

I remember I think it was in round 2 where Fitzroy smashed us. We were down by 94 points at 3/4 time and it was only and 11-goal last quarter that helped us save some face. Think that was Willies first match .

Just recently someone posted the 92 reserves grand final and although I was watching with interest the baby bombers Willie really stood out as a classy player. I did wonder what happened to him, luckily Robbo answered all my questions. I was surprised how old he was that year.

Yep we got some frightful smashings in that year.

But then it was 1993 !!!

Met him as a 12 yr old in the rooms after training, was a nice guy…signed my footy…the rest of the blokes on the footy played in the 93 premiership. Still got it on my bar

I sat through every painful minute of that game (Dunstall kicked more himself than our entire team managed) by virtue of having caught a ride in with my Hawthorn-supporting boss (if I hadn’t been underage I would probably have gone to the Royal or something… anything!). Spent the entire second-half reading the paper and listening to Melbourne record an upset win over Collingwood on my walkman, which was a beacon in an otherwise dark, dark day.