Winter Olympics - trying to not die

Normally it’s a “northern beaches” kid.

Like were meant to recognise that as code for something…

I thought JZ controlled the landing enough for the judges who watch in real time, not slow motion replay.
Commentators went on about it a bit too much, only because it meant aussie was eliminated IMO.
Final was good to watch and I think JZ was unlucky not to get the Gold, his jump was impressive, plus going last, with all the pressure and extra time wating at the top.

I agree with you on the geographical disadvantage Australian athletes are faced with however, snow sports are becoming much more accessible to ‘regular’ people. Skiing and snowboarding isn’t quite the privileged endeavour it once was. The snow areas of Asia have seen a boom of Australian visitors over the last decade or so. Reckon Australia will be well represented in the Alpine skiing and snowboarding events in particular over the next 10-20 years as the kids that are getting their first taste of the snow now make their way further in the sport.

That and there’s a heap of dry sports that carryover well into some of the winter events
Eg all bobsledders, skeleton etc come from a sprinting background. Aerial types can benefit from a gymnastics background etc etc

How many of our summer medals are won in the traditional blue collar street sports of equestrian & the various yacht and canoe sports?

2 Likes

Equestrian is a blue collar sport, as confirmed by this bloke:

Good call by you.

it challenges one’s faith in curling when you see this happening

A Russian Olympic medallist has left the Pyeongchang Winter Games on suspicion of doping.

Alexander Krushelnitsky, who competes in curling, is suspected of testing positive for meldonium, a banned substance that increases blood flow and improves exercise capacity in athletes.

He is awaiting the results of analysis of his B sample, expected later on Monday, before a violation can be confirmed, Russian Olympic delegation spokesman Konstantin Vybornov said.

Krushelnitsky won bronze with his wife in mixed-doubles curling at Pyeongchang.

Suspicions of a doping violation have shocked the Russian team and also the sport of curling, where steady hands and sharp eyes outweigh physical fitness.

The case could jeopardise Russia’s efforts to draw a line under a years-long drug-cheating scandal.

Vybornov described the situation as “simply nonsense”.

Russian curling federation president Dmitry Svishchev also expressed shock, saying Russian curlers had been tested on January 22 before flying out to South Korea and the tests were negative.

“I have known these guys for many years. Only a crazy person takes banned substances before a competition, before the Olympics,” Svishchev said on Sunday night when the news first broke.

“It’s a strange story. It raises a lot of questions.”

Russia has been accused of running a state-backed, systematic doping program for years, an allegation Moscow denies.

As a result, its athletes are competing at Pyeongchang as neutral “Olympic Athletes from Russia” (OAR).

The Russians had been hoping that a clean record at Pyeongchang would persuade the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to allow them to march at the Games closing ceremony on February 25 with the Russian flag and in national uniform.

The International Olympic Committee said it had taken note of the case without going into details.

It said that if the case were to be confirmed, it would be considered by its OAR Implementation panel, the body in charge of monitoring the OAR team’s behaviour at the Games.

Krushelnitsky has not responded to a request for comment.

He and his wife, Anastasia Bryzgalova, won bronze in a game against Norway.

The Norwegians would take that medal if a doping violation is confirmed.

“I hope it’s not true … for the sport of curling,” said Norwegian team skipper Thomas Ulsrud.

“If it’s true I feel really sad for the Norwegian team who worked really hard and ended up in fourth place and just left for Norway and they aren’t even here.”

2 Likes

The US vs Finland women’s ice hockey on atm is quick as all hell

You gotta wonder how any athlete could be busted for using Meldonium - What a strange case!

Apart from the qualifiers were there was a guy from GB who was only doing a Triple Twisting Triple flip, inside of the Quadruple Twisiting, Triple flips that everyone else was doing, I had no idea who had done a good or bad jump unless they stacked the landing.

As far as I could tell the reigning gold medalist who failed to make the final by less than .5 of a point seemed unlucky.

Dave Morris also seemed unlucky to me to only score 112 for his first jump in the qualification rounds for a jump that seemed very similar to jumps that all the other guys were scoring in the 120s for.

Could not discern a difference between the gold and silver medalists either.

1 Like

Give the girl a medal

I don’t know why Diggers raves about skiing. Snowboarders win their medals and some of the competitors can barely even ski.

Diggers is ned flanders… It feels like ok wearing nothing at all

1 Like

That’s what I look like on a half-pipe, but with even less elevation.

E Ledecka is a skier who snowboard’s a bit.

All video footage of her in the half-pipe should be in fast forward and accompanied by Benny Hill music.

1 Like

Brother-sister figure skating pairs are amusing. Put your hand into your sister’s crack and hoist her in the air.

To be an Australian Olympic commentator do you have to be ■■■■■■■ brain-dead.

1 Like

It’s not just Olympic commentating

1 Like