Women's AFL

I have no interest in the AFL finals, VFL only for me, but this game has me hooked. The standard has lifted a heap since I last watched and I can’t help feeling we missed the bus big time by not pushing for a team. I knew of a few top female footy players who will be happy to see the game on prime time viewing but spewing that they never got the chance.
Can’t wait to see a team of women in the sash.
PS The Scraggers have this one sewn up.

Great game, love watching it.

Wish the farkhead commentators would stop being so patronising.

And did you hear P.Jackson???
"… they’re special, aren’t they??.. "

taylor harris is basically joe, from what i’ve seen this game.

taylor harris is basically joe, from what i've seen this game.

No mo.

For some reason I just can’t get into it… Just feels like watching below standard vfl without having any connection to either team or any of the players.

Maybe I just need to give it time…also don’t think the commentators are helping…

I watched about 10 mins and thought it was awful.

It’s a matter of getting used to it, I reckon. It’s different from senior men’s of course. But it still is entertaining… to me, at least.

There seemed to be a bit more space than I’m used to. Still tacked, but it was a freer game, especially having watched the VFL final beforehand. Really looked like swapping to a smaller ball in the days before the match completely stuffed their accuracy.

Tell ya what’s identical to men’s footy… the farkin ■■■■■■ umpiring! Does ‘holding the ball’ apply in this game??

Tell ya what's identical to men's footy.. the farkin ■■■■■■ umpiring! Does 'holding the ball' apply in this game??

its the same umpires.

Is it sexist if I just dont like watching it

Seeing Fitzpatrick on tv makes the blood boil!!!

I really enjoyed that. Will definitely watch a few games next year if that’s how the games will be played. So fast and very few stoppages.

Seems that way.

Commentators wouldn’t call our basic errors or stuff ups. Imagine BT commentating without being able to bag people. Yay equality.

Is it sexist, if I am imagining they are naked?

I thought it was great. This competition has a massive future.

Of course not.

The girls are just like any other footballer out there, trying to get a kick and enjoy themselves. They’re not the ones that have asked to have their leagues finals campaigns picked apart and put on prime time TV.

Don’t have to watch it, and that’s fine. Just treat it like the female version to many other sports* tennis, soccer, cricket, golf…

*except the AFL has made them change the time of year it’s played, changed the ball size, changed many of the rules, manufactured some excitement.

Only watched the first five minutes so far but pace, big hits and huge full forwards. What’s not to like?

Great game, love watching it.

Wish the farkhead commentators would stop being so patronising.

And did you hear P.Jackson???
"… they’re special, aren’t they??.. "

Do you think women commentators would make a difference? (Said in a serious manner)

Tell ya what's identical to men's footy.. the farkin ■■■■■■ umpiring! Does 'holding the ball' apply in this game??

Hahaha the umpire wearing number 11 is my best mate. I’ll pass on the feedback!!
He called me on the way home just before and said that they were encouraged to let play go as much as possible and only pay the clear and obvious free kicks.

Edit: Actually @Koala if you read this, do you remember when I was on your table at the Crichton medal about 4 years ago and one of my schoolmates Michael (‘Pelly’) came along as well? That was him out there tonight.