Women's AFL

I'm very happy for women and girls to play AFL as much as they want to. But having watched a quarter last night I don't think I'll be watching much more.

Feel like this is quite a reductionist perspective… ignores the fact that last night was the first ever game… so much more to the story… it is very easy to pick holes… why not just appreciate it for what it is?

It IS possible to appreciate something without enjoying it eg I appreciate that gymnasts are incredible athletes but you couldn’t pay me to watch a gymnastics competition

Am liking no.17 for the Dockers.

Brought a smile when they called her name while she was attempting to get the ball…

Hooker :slight_smile:

(wonder if related somewhere along the line)

I'm very happy for women and girls to play AFL as much as they want to. But having watched a quarter last night I don't think I'll be watching much more.

Feel like this is quite a reductionist perspective… ignores the fact that last night was the first ever game… so much more to the story… it is very easy to pick holes… why not just appreciate it for what it is?

It IS possible to appreciate something without enjoying it eg I appreciate that gymnasts are incredible athletes but you couldn’t pay me to watch a gymnastics competition

Yep… agree and I think it will probably be a hell of a lot easier for Essendon FC supporters to enjoy it when we have a team… I am enjoying it despite this… however my level of passion will grow exponentially once this happens…

How much does it cost to set up a team and rub it effectively? Seen a bit of last night’s game and today’s, in the same corner as Shelton.

How much does it cost to set up a team and rub it effectively? Seen a bit of last night's game and today's, in the same corner as Shelton.

Good question… but if minnow clubs like the bulldogs (2 premierships in a bloody huge lot of years) can do it then surely Essendon FC (the Man U of AFL) can do it?

How much does it cost to set up a team and rub it effectively? Seen a bit of last night's game and today's, in the same corner as Shelton.

Good question… but if minnow clubs like the bulldogs (2 premierships in a bloody huge lot of years) can do it then surely Essendon FC (the Man U of AFL) can do it?

AFL will be using this as an avenue to funnel money to the minnow clubs. Clubs like us will need to fund it ourselves.
I thought the AWFUlL was only offering a limited number of licences, which clubs could bid for. May have all been predetermined, but understand from reporting that EFC decided not to bid, no idea if licence bidding was auction-type $$$$$$. Did it come up at AGM or that members Q&A? Also, wonder what the AWFL standard contracts are like and whether they are covered by AFLPA. No doubt there is a WADA clause.

I read it as we are struggling to reduce our debt as it is. No point being a part of something that hasn’t been trialled yet and could screw our debt up even more.
Hopefully we get a look in once a season is completed and we can see how it can benefit us financially.

AFL will be using this as an avenue to funnel money to the minnow clubs. Clubs like us will need to fund it ourselves.

Quite possibly… However I still think in terms of our family/ culture/ history when thinking about Michaelia Long’s passion for the game and all of the other daughter’s of the club (whether they be daughters of players, supporters or otherwise) who bleed red and black, we owe it to them to get this happening ASAP.

There will be congestion and lower scoring as long as the teams play structured footy. Noticed the ladies lack the running power of the men which can be addressed in time,and lack the ability to hit low flat kicks to break up the zone, which will need more work.

It’s sweet how you guys think Melbourne and Footscray are paying their own bills.

The Bulldog girls are easy on the eye.

It’s sweet how you guys think Melbourne and Footscray are paying their own bills.

Yep.

It’s all been pre determined that they have the first crack at this.

Also, for anyone wondering about the skills dropping off, especially towards the end of the game. In their infinite wisdom the league decided there would be 16 a side but more on the bench WITH LESS ROTATIONS ALLOWED! For amateurs on a hot summer night. FFS.

Happy to watch the girls play, disappointed to see Carlton win.

Must admit I watched the first 5 mins and there was about 10 turn overs out of 15 kicks so I turned off.

They went in ■■■■■■ hard though I’ll give em that but it was just too scrappy for me.

Are you forgetting parts of our last season?
I thought the AWFUlL was only offering a limited number of licences, which clubs could bid for. May have all been predetermined, but understand from reporting that EFC decided not to bid, no idea if licence bidding was auction-type $$$$$$. Did it come up at AGM or that members Q&A? Also, wonder what the AWFL standard contracts are like and whether they are covered by AFLPA. No doubt there is a WADA clause.

Gut feeling is that the AFL preferenced giving licences to the weaker clubs or the clubs they wanted to promote - so Melb, the Dogs, and GWS at the top of the list (did the Suns and/or Lions get a licence)?

Suspect part of the reason we didn’t bid is because we’re a zillion dollars in debt and want to pay some of that off first, and partly cos we knew full well that the AFL would have made sure we didn’t win the bidding process anyway.

I’m kinda with Shelton. I’m more than happy for an AFL women’s League. The fact that this has happened is a positive thing as has made many people happy. The world can do with more happy people.

However, I thought the standard last night was pretty low and I didn’t find it entertaining, so I doubt I’ll be going out of my way to watch it again. Yeah sure, it was the first game and I’m sure it will improve but until then…meh.

And this isn’t an anti women’s sport thing. One of my favourite sports to watch is women’s golf. And there are some men’s sports that I don’t find entertaining so I don’t follow or watch them either.

I’m kinda with Shelton. I’m more than happy for an AFL women’s League. The fact that this has happened is a positive thing as has made many people happy. The world can do with more happy people.

However, I thought the standard last night was pretty low and I didn’t find it entertaining, so I doubt I’ll be going out of my way to watch it again. Yeah sure, it was the first game and I’m sure it will improve but until then…meh.

And this isn’t an anti women’s sport thing. One of my favourite sports to watch is women’s golf. And there are some men’s sports that I don’t find entertaining so I don’t follow or watch them either.

Totally reasonable comment… I am
Pretty happy to watch any footy eg EDFL, Ameteurs etc etc I think as a result the fact that women’s AFL isn’t straight away an amazing standard doesn’t worry me.

Must admit I watched the first 5 mins and there was about 10 turn overs out of 15 kicks so I turned off.

They went in ■■■■■■ hard though I’ll give em that but it was just too scrappy for me.

Are you forgetting parts of our last season?

You think Stallion watches the footy? He’s just there rubbing one out to the memory of gumb

Am liking no.17 for the Dockers.

Brought a smile when they called her name while she was attempting to get the ball…

Hooker :slight_smile:

(wonder if related somewhere along the line)

Do they have a hooker playing? Raise their pay!

There will be congestion and lower scoring as long as the teams play structured footy. Noticed the ladies lack the running power of the men which can be addressed in time,and lack the ability to hit low flat kicks to break up the zone, which will need more work.

Their defensive zoning will be miles ahead of anything they can do offensively for quite some time (clearly don’t have the skill level to pierce a properly set up zone with short kicks/handballs nor the physical capability of kicking the ball over or around it)

I’d be really interested to know whether the AFL have had any input/sway over the playing styles the sides will implement
I know for me personally, if I was coaching the girls purely with the goal in mind of winning I’d be hammering defensive structures, tackling and physical fitness with the aim of turning matches into low scoring wars of attritition (which they kinda are already, so imagine how low scoring it’d be if I was in charge!)

Well, some sides are clearly streets ahead of other’s at this point. Some very similar lopsided results thus far.