Women's AFL

I loved that free flowing game between Essendon and Geelong years back , Sheedy and was it Bligh coaching, with Ablett senior at one end , was it Salmon the other, so many goals kicked.
Prefer that style to trench warfare.
I would like the women’s game to go that way, does not have to be a copy cat of the men’s game out of the blokes current coaching manual.

The losing teams of each 3 games have scored a single goal each.
I love the Bombers and struggle to watch a full game of our Reserves as the quality drop is significant. My cousin has played women’s football for a number of years and played along side quite a large number of the women drafted.
As much as I’m pleased they all get an opportunity to pursue their dreams, from my perspective it’s far from entertaining at this stage.

Walked down to whitten oval tonight with the full family in tow (including my two young daughters). Everyone had a great time, lovely atmosphere, beautiful night. The players were having a real dip. Can’t fault it for a relaxing summers evening outdoors.

Frankly it is fantastic to see woman’s sport attracting such fantastic support and i think it is a wonderful message of equality for young girls.

I loved that free flowing game between Essendon and Geelong years back , Sheedy and was it Bligh coaching, with Ablett senior at one end , was it Salmon the other, so many goals kicked. Prefer that style to trench warfare. I would like the women's game to go that way, does not have to be a copy cat of the men's game out of the blokes current coaching manual.

Which leads me back to my question of whether the AFL have given the clubs a tap on the shoulder to play this way
The rule adjustments (less players a side and even further reduced interchanges) would point to their desire to have an ‘old school’ type of playing style
Funnily enough during the Dogs/Dees exhibition game last year I commented to my brothers that all the old school guys who hadn’t moved past the 70s and 80s would love it - check the Facebook comments the next day and sure enough bunch of older men and women exclaiming how much they enjoying it because it reminded them of the 70s and 80s lol

I think it’s wonderful. Yeah standard not the greatest, but that isnt the point at this stage. I guarantee it will get better and better every year. I love the effort they play with. Its just good to have a comp that means something in the pre season. Cant wait until the bombers have a team in

I loved that free flowing game between Essendon and Geelong years back , Sheedy and was it Bligh coaching, with Ablett senior at one end , was it Salmon the other, so many goals kicked. Prefer that style to trench warfare. I would like the women's game to go that way, does not have to be a copy cat of the men's game out of the blokes current coaching manual.

Which leads me back to my question of whether the AFL have given the clubs a tap on the shoulder to play this way
The rule adjustments (less players a side and even further reduced interchanges) would point to their desire to have an ‘old school’ type of playing style
Funnily enough during the Dogs/Dees exhibition game last year I commented to my brothers that all the old school guys who hadn’t moved past the 70s and 80s would love it - check the Facebook comments the next day and sure enough bunch of older men and women exclaiming how much they enjoying it because it reminded them of the 70s and 80s lol

On the point about the 70’s and 80’s there’s obviously been a direction to let the game go in the AFLW.
Why isn’t his same direction provided to the men’s game, outside of finals anyway?

They realise that’s what the public want yet over officiate during rounds 1-23.

The women are attacking the ball. You can’t fault that and good on them.
in last nights game there was a blatant shirt front which would cost at least 2 weeks in the men’s game, yet it was barely picket up on the commentary.
All of this will change when someone is seriously hurt and there’s no longer free entry into the grounds.

I haven’t had any interest in it as yet but maybe that will come. To be honest, my lack of interest isn’t because it’s woman’s sport, it’s because I am really only interested in Essendon at this stage - I’ve also dropped off following a lot of other sports (male and female).

Agree with Ivan that it’s a great thing for young girls.

Also agree with others in here that the AFL probably have some evil ulterior motive but I’m not sure if that means it shouldn’t be supported.

On the point about the 70’s and 80’s there’s obviously been a direction to let the game go in the AFLW.
Why isn’t his same direction provided to the men’s game, outside of finals anyway?

They realise that’s what the public want yet over officiate during rounds 1-23.

The women are attacking the ball. You can’t fault that and good on them.
in last nights game there was a blatant shirt front which would cost at least 2 weeks in the men’s game, yet it was barely picket up on the commentary.
All of this will change when someone is seriously hurt and there’s no longer free entry into the grounds.

you’ve answered your own question there

I thought I heard a report was made over the effects mic. Didn’t hear anything mentioned after the game though.

I haven’t seen any of it, but judging from the crowds and level of support seen thus far, it would be a disservice to fans and players to have the grand final as a curtain raiser to an afl game. It deserves a stand alone gf.

Tuned in twice last night - once in the 2nd quarter and again with 6 minutes to go in the 4th. Scores had increased by 1 point.

I loved watching the exhibition game last year but with such little score progression last night, I hope there is enough entertainment in other areas of the game to keep the crowds.

Must admit I watched the first 5 mins and there was about 10 turn overs out of 15 kicks so I turned off.

They went in ■■■■■■ hard though I’ll give em that but it was just too scrappy for me.

Are you forgetting parts of our last season?

Just last season?

2nd half of the 2nd quarter? What happened?

storm, so lightning?

I still think the AFL has jumped in too quickly and it would of been better if the VFL/WAFL/SANFL had comps for a couple of years first to build up the number of quality footballers available. Think we will see a lot of serious injuries as there are quite a few players new to game thrown in at the deep end with no awareness or feel for the game

I think this would’ve been the better way for the afl to implement it, but like all things they do they go off half cocked. I think it would go a long way to ensuring the long term survival of the sport.

If you had a choice, would you prefer them to launch GWS and GCS or the Women’s comp?

The low scoring in AFLW is the stuff of a Ross Lyon wet dream.

If you had a choice, would you prefer them to launch GWS and GCS or the Women's comp?

women’s, but in a proper systematic way.

AFL talent pool is too diluted.

If you had a choice, would you prefer them to launch GWS and GCS or the Women's comp?

Woman’s comp.

Disappointed we aren’t involved. Hopefully soon. Comparing it to the men’s game is pointless. It’s almost a different sport.