Women's AFL

Who can put their life on hold to move interstate for a couple of months for $5000? You'd probably have to leave your job. Would it be worth moving your life for?

My issue is there are several blokes who play local footy get paid substantially more than that a season. FFS, this is the elite women’s competition. They deserve to be paid more than some bloke who played a few seasons of VFL and is now dominating some local comp because he was too lazy to play with guys who took it seriously.

There are some blokes playing local footy getting paid more than some AFL players.

These girls are not full time athletes. They are playing a fledgling two month competition which needs to be sustainable long-term. Some of the girls playing are just taking up the sport. If it’s a great success, the salaries will rise accordingly.

Who can put their life on hold to move interstate for a couple of months for $5000? You'd probably have to leave your job. Would it be worth moving your life for?

Some of them are literally doing this. It’s a dream come true for some.

I lived in a hostel for 5 months and lived off savings so I could train under someone
Most semi-pro tennis players and golfers live in hostels out of backpacks
If you want to do something enough you’ll find a way to do it

Thought it was great. It reminded me of International rules in that the girls didnt slow play very often. Lots of running and quick movement. It was "mark" and immediately play on (quite often when they shouldnt have) and there were actually some pretty big, high speed hits as a result.

Obviously these were the best 40-odd players. How it looks next year when they need 300 players is a different question.

We should also keep in mind (as mentioned above somewhere) that these are not full-time professional footballers. That day will come, when female players will be 100% dedicated to the game, be 100% fit, filtered through a long process from childhood, etc.

There will also be a semblance of a gameplan that they practice together over the course of a few weeks, not slapping together for a demo match.
Thought it was great. It reminded me of International rules in that the girls didnt slow play very often. Lots of running and quick movement. It was "mark" and immediately play on (quite often when they shouldnt have) and there were actually some pretty big, high speed hits as a result.

Obviously these were the best 40-odd players. How it looks next year when they need 300 players is a different question.

We should also keep in mind (as mentioned above somewhere) that these are not full-time professional footballers. That day will come, when female players will be 100% dedicated to the game, be 100% fit, filtered through a long process from childhood, etc.

There will also be a semblance of a gameplan that they practice together over the course of a few weeks, not slapping together for a demo match.

Watch how many people start complaining about how slow and low scoring the games are once teams start implementing AFL level zones against non-AFL level skills

Watch how many people start complaining about how slow and low scoring the games are once teams start implementing AFL level zones against non-AFL level skills

if gils gonna micromanage everything in the afl, he should direct them to play man on man.

if gils gonna micromanage everything in the afl, he should direct them to play man on man.

Probably the best way to ensure some form of success for the league - will appease everyone stuck in the last footballing century

Wouldn’t it be great if the bulldogs won tbe first flag, meaning their women’s team will have effectively equalled in one season what the men have in over 90 seasons?

We really dropped the ball as a club not getting in on the ground floor on this.

Reckon we might have had some other priorities.

Glad we didn’t get a women’s team. Only going to be a drain on club resources in the future.

I lived in a hostel for 5 months and lived off savings so I could train under someone
Most semi-pro tennis players and golfers live in hostels out of backpacks
If you want to do something enough you’ll find a way to do it

You were training under someone?

Sexist.

/jks

Let’s give the competition a name that makes the Twitter handle grammatically incorrect.

WAFL was taken.

and AWFL doesn’t really work

We really dropped the ball as a club not getting in on the ground floor on this.

Reckon we might have had some other priorities.

My personal conspiracy theory is that we withdrew our initial expression of interest after being told by the AFL that there was no way in hell we’d be awarded one of the franchises.

and AWFL doesn't really work

No THAT would have been funny

What the fudge is this?

Why not just have the W where the A is and the backing colour be pink?

Why not just have the W where the A is and the backing colour be pink?

I’m shocked that this got knocked back internally after likely being suggested a dozen times, also.