Women's AFL Team for EFC - 2021 entry at best

Sounds about right, … maybe 2.3, . (interest.)

I may be wrong, but out of the clubs bidding for an AFLW expansion team, the Bombers are the only ones I have seen displaying a manufactured AFLW guernsey sample (in both home and away designs) with all the correct logos and sponsorship. Also with suppliers name (COAR, or Cotton On, as per Geelong men’s team).

It might mean nothing, and I suppose it would be easy enough to get samples made up… or maybe it’s a spoiler that we will get a licence.

2 Likes

What the…just because they share digs doesn’t mean they have to agree on everything or anything.

Spoiler: it Isn’t a spolier

I have zero doubt that an EFC team is essential to the success of the competition. The AFL would know this. Hence their dilemma will be sticking with the original applicants or going with the team they know they need (and hate). I reckon they’ll deny the initial efc bid but introduce us the following year. Thus proving that they are spineless money grabbing jelly fish.

1 Like

I partly agree with you but I reckon you are being kind. I’ve thought of plenty of other adjectives I would have used.

Money comes first, they operate out of a highly successful business model you know. Let’s see what pops up to helkp or hinder our application for a license.

You could look at it the opposite way to what has been posited here.

If other teams failed before they were deemed to have at least one reason why they shouldn’t be in the league. Whether it be facilities, supporter base or otherwise.

You might say they’d be then facing an uphill battle rectifying those shortcomings, at least anytime soon.

We on the other hand are applying “fresh” and have just as good of a chance to be accepted as those who were granted licenses the first time around.

Top 3 clubs by supporter base. Arguably (is it arguable?) best facilities in the league (with space for Africa). Home ground provisioned (not really unique to us I guess). Financial clout (presumably, given we’ve applied). We’ve obviously put a lot of work into our pitch/application. Hell, the Michaela Long story would just about be the biggest in the league instantly and bring untold publicity and interest.

Not saying it will happen. But there’s two ways to look at everything

2 Likes

The fact that we already have jumpers made suggests to me that we have a pretty good chance.

I’d really love this to get up. More Bomber champions for us all to see.

1 Like

To me it looks like we’re trying to make up for lost time through sheer visibility and enthusiasm.

Presumably other clubs will apply for 2019 entry licenses too, but I haven’t seen anything like the effort and prominence around the place from their applications. Junpers designed, michaela long etc being heavily promoted as the faces of the bid, etc, etc. im not seeing this level of effort or hype from other clubs. Admittedly this might be partly because I mostly follow EFC-focused footy news outlets, but I’m also seeing it through outlets like the TAC cup club feeds, which are pretty neutral.

I think we know our bid is starting at a handicap cos we didn’t apply last year, so we’re trying to make up lost ground by demonstrating that we’re REALLY REALLY hyped over the whole thing.

Boomer’s daughter is an ambassador like michaela.

Richmond and geelong do a lot of work already in their regions (worked on the assumption they’d be next in after missing out last time).

Yep

Funny, I just see it as a professional and well thought out bid for a team.

1 Like

Our bid does say to me that we are coming to the end (or have already reached it) of whatever it was that held us back from bidding to be one of the inaugural clubs.

Be that distractions from football / finances / or whatever… I see our bid as a very good sign.

Oh, it is that too.

2 Likes

**** off Gillon

5 Likes

What’s the bet that the AFL “suggested” to us that we shouldn’t bid for a license the first time around (due to “optics”) and that we should concentrate on other things first?

2 Likes

Wrong there George.
We didn’t bid due to financial reasons.
Now that all that (bar two compo claims) is back on track, we are doing what we always intended to do.

1 Like

It’s not like (in particular) Brisbane can afford it, of course.

Consider me cynical enough to think it’s another way to shuffle money to some of the broke clubs.

3 Likes

The AFL will be offering you a position soon, you’ve figured it out. Creative accountancy its all the go.

That’s another reason why they need clubs like Essendon filling the stands.