Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

As big a gormless man child that breteton is, I tend to agree with some of the stuff he says, even though some of it’s pretty captain obvious.
Regarding the last bit though, It might also be that Cox is overblown ■■■■■.

It says Cox’s form slump. More like he peaked for a couple of games last year and he’s now returned to normal.

2 Likes

So, now its blame the coaches fault for the teams becoming too defensive! FMD! They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Coaches coach the team and use various strategies to win games of footy. Losing will eventually cost them their job. That’s what coaches do and if they can’t get the win and hold the cup aloft, they get the replaced fairly quickly. Few coaches resign and leave on their own terms.

I wonder what new rules the AFL will find for next year??? How will the AFL counter the coaches game plans? Will they make the bench movement smaller by either removing how many times players can be rested or reduce the number of players on the bench? One thing we can be certain of, change in some form will come.

1 Like

Of course it’s blame the coaches, they are the ones that put together these strategies.

The coaches have turned our game into a game of keepings off with zones, 36 players in one third of the ground and 20 players around the ball.

Sure it’s their job to win but that doesn’t change the fact that they are responsible for the shitshow, not the AFL as you like to blame.

1 Like

Old mate Marc McGowan has just posted on Twitter:
“Coaching changes at Essendon. Opposition strategy coach Rob Harding and forwards coach Paul Corrigan to move on at season’s end. Story on afl.com.au soon”

Does he mean at the end of this year, or at the end of their contracts, some time in the distant future - who knows?

3 Likes

End of the year - https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-12/two-bombers-assistant-coaches-set-to-depart-at-seasons-end

Season’s end would indicate end of this year.

Also makes me think that the club will keep John on, but change out assistants.

1 Like

Not surprised about Corrigan, forward line has struggled.
Bit of a surprise about Harding. Wonder whether he left or we pushed him?

Well most want the forward coach gone.

Rob seemed like he added value, but at same time we don’t seem to set up well against anyone.

1 Like

Discussed here

1 Like

Corrigan has got nothing out of Daniher. He makes Fantasia look like he’s injured. Pretty sure he injured Smack’s hamstring.

3 Likes

This in the Woosha thread…

To this in the other coaches thread…

2 Likes

Disagree. Its the AFL contantly changing the rules to try to counteract what the coaches were doing. If they had just left the rules alone the game would have evolved as another coach started to counteract the tactics of a previous coach. Instead of letting this natural progression take place, the AFL had to start jumping in to try to change the game.
I wonder if they have every done a proper analysis of any of their changes prior to implemenation, and I doubt very much they have ever done one after. They just bring in another rule.
They have given us what we have to day. In a bid to try to stop the coaches tactics to win games, being effective.
You couldnt make this ■■■■ up.

10 Likes

The AFL have an obligation to keep the game attractive enough so that people want to go and see it and keep growing it so that other sports don’t eat into viewership.

Coaches begged for extra interchange so that they could cover for injured players as they cried that they were losing games because they only had 17 fit players left (Which was true at times)

So the AFL gave them extra interchange and what did the coaches do?

They turned the game into a shuttle run, with Collingwood recording 170 rotations in 1 game and 150 + every game.

The coaches talk a good game but the bottom line is they don’t give a rats ■■■■ about the state of the game all they care about is winning so it is the AFL’s job to try to fix what the coaches break.

The biggest mistake the AFL have made is to ever listen to one word the coaches have said and this BS about having them over to dinner at Gills is a joke.

The coaches are a cancer on the real game of football that was based on 1 v 1 contests between great players and was once great but is now pretty ordinary.

4 Likes

It’s a combination of both those things but don’t blame the coaches. They do what they can within the rules to win. If it’s all out defence that wins the day then of course you’d do it. The game is also a victim of the superior fitness of the players. Being able to cover vast distances has helped this defence mindset.

2 Likes

And who was it that got the players back earlier and earlier and devised training programs so that they could take advantage of the extra interchange and get them to do flat out efforts up and back for 3-4 minutes then get interchanged.

It wasn’t the AFL…

Hot take: it’s not the AFL or coaches, it’s professionalism.

4 Likes

True but it begins and ends with the coaches.

I’ll make this my last post on this as it is a hot topic for me and i’ll go on and on until it’s DonToDeath

The coaches devise a gameplan they want to play and everyone else comes along for the ride.

The Fitness dept and the other cocophany of departments we have these days map out a program for his gameplan, then they train it and implement it in games.

It begins and ends with the coaches.

3 Likes

So who is it in the middle?

The AFL by pandering to their requests.

1 Like