Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

Incorrect.

The club is acutely aware of a fall in attendance & gate receipts. It needs to be as a lot of sponsorship dollars are tied up with these things.

The club is always very conscious of the gate & attendances. It needs to be to function as an on going concern. Less so than other clubs like the Roos or the Saints.

Luckily we have so many paid up members who have paid for seats but don’t turn up to these games otherwise it would be a serious issue. I am one of those people.

2 Likes

While watching the incredibly depressing replay of the Freo game I got to pondering my dream coaching team.

Coach 2020-21: Paul Roos. He won’t stay longer than 2 years.

Assistant Coach: Luke Hodge.

1 Like

My preference is for an untried coach. The issue we have had with Worsfold to an extend is that he’s done it before. He doesn’t appear to have that ultimate hunger to drive the absolute best out of eveyone. I’m thinking Roos would be exactly the same.

Someone with a 5 year grounding in a successful setup is the ideal person for me. This is without actually thinking about who fits this bill.

2 Likes

Starting to think stuart dew might have been good but again we didn’t actually go through a legit hiring process so he was no chance anyway.

2 Likes

Save a spot for Dan Richardson.

If Crow gets chopped and let’s be honest, there are always casualties when we miss finals, then Richardson will be riding shotgun in the cannon with Woosha and Crow given his statements today declaring there has been no mismanagement.

1 Like

My preference for Caracella is well known around these parts. We should’ve been onto him last year and started the succession planning to transition him in and Worsfold out. Given Caracella is likely to sign an extension at Richmond (probably not until the futures of Richardson, B Scott & Bolton in particular are known) we should be talking to the likes of Bassett & Sam Mitchell too. The very mention of Mitchell is enough to cause some form of regurgitation in ones mouth, it’s the sort of bold move this club hasn’t made in a long time and Mitchell would absolutely clean house which is something I think we need given the decade long hover this club has been in. Of the experienced brigade, I absolutely believe Ratten and Voss would be infinitely better coaches this time around. Ratten in particular was stuff to get the shaft given what he achieved with a crapp Carlton list and having spent a few years in the Clarkson camp, he’d have to be better for it. Voss is more of an unknown but hearing him speak about the lessons he took from the first time around (bearing in mind he had zero apprenticeship, along with having the experience of seeing another system that’s been reasonably successful in his time as well as his exceptional leadership, he’d have to be better this time around. Surely?

5 Likes

Some guys are just better as assistant coaches than senior. And often ex-senior coaches make great assistant coaches too.

1 Like

Oh God no. Don’t want that smug wanker anywhere near our club.

9 Likes

He has a sensational track record. Coached Sydney to a premiership and he turned Melbourne from a rabble to a credible contender. (Simon Goodwin is currently turning them back into a rabble.) But he won’t stay more than 2 years.

Hodge is exactly the sort of disciplined hard man who should make a great coach. Two years of learning under Roos and he’ll be ready.

2 Likes

I’d take Hodgy any day of the week, Paul Roos can ■■■■ right off!! That ■■■■ and his mate Ross Lyon are key reasons as to why the game is a ■■■■■■■ snorefest to watch these days.
Roo’s was worse that Woosha in that he only won one flag by a few points and had COLA and the AFL up his ■■■.

5 Likes

I don’t think that is a sensational record.

1 Like

Took Melbourne from two wins to ten in three years?
That’s decent, I guess.
But it’s a lovely position to be in that if Melbourne succeed it’s thanks to you but if they fail it’s the new coach’s fault.

4 Likes

If you get Hodge you absolutely must put in serious experience in your assistant coaching group. Almost certainly need someone like Ratten as one assistant and also another assistant who has been around the traps for a few years.

2 Likes

Get Caracella. Try and get Balme as well to run the football department

Then try and get guys like hodge to come over as an assistant.

And please for the love of everything turf out guys like Harvey and skipworth

5 Likes

Mitchell is the one that would absolutely turn us into an uncompromising club again. It would be an extremely tough sell for the club given the hatred our supporter group rightfully has for him. But if we want to be that feared club again we need someone like him taking control of everything. The only thing which may see as avoid him is that he probably needs a few more years as an assistant meaning his readiness wont match up with Worsfold’s end date.

2 Likes

Get Neil Balme

2 Likes

Regarding this, I wasn’t around to know the feeling that bringing in Sheedy had at the time but I can imagine that bringing in a Richmond veteran would have been quite a groundbreaking event. I can see similarities with bringing in Mitchell - tough player from a rival successful club.

You might say, the pressure on us to perform now, will either make us or break us.

1 Like

Mitchell and Clarkson have set him up at Hawthorn. Mitchell will eventually take over Clarkson’s position I think. I cannot see him coming or wanting to come to Essendon.

6 Likes

the correct answer is a process. A genuine process.

The names are irrelevant at this point. Get the process right, the decision may just be the right one. Basically, we need to start doing what we haven’t in the past. That is where we start.

At least it is getting mind numbingly obvious the bloke isn’t taking us anywhere. Change is inevitable.

3 Likes