Workplace jerks

The Background…
Recently a very large project was shutdown here and a bunch of people were laid off. As part of that, one whole floor has been closed and is in the process of being occupied by another business. Not all the people on that floor have finished up yet though and some are now on my floor temporarily. It’s not “cramped” but it is a case of a few different groups are here from normal. We have IT Infrastructure, IT helpdesk, some subject matter experts, commercial managers, project managers, and other project staff (like me), as well as the people finishing up over the next couple of months. All part of the same company (or contractors, like me). All loosely related (i.e. in the IT space) but with very, very different roles.

IT Infrastructure here has a long, long history of being… Problematic. IT infrastructure in general tends to attract a certain personality type, and the culture within the team here over the last 10 years (I’ve been on and off involved here for over that now) has only grown worse. They think they are the most important people in the company, despite never delivering to the businesses priorities - they do what they want to do first, not what is needed first. i.e. whatever is most fun or best for their CV… They are also unaffected by the recent layoffs.

The Incident
Infrastructure guy decides it’s time to start taping up some boxes. At his desk. They have a room for this, which is less than 10m away from his desk, but he decides to do it there. I’m about 30m away and it’s annoying the **** out of me but I can live with it.

One of the commercial managers though is on the phone to a client and right next to this. She suspends the call then says very politely “Excuse me, I’m on a call and I can’t hear it, do you mind doing that in the room over there?”

Infrastructure guy responds:“No”. Nothing else. And continues taping.

Commercial manager watches dumbfounded for about 30 seconds. She then asks “I’m asking politely. Do you mind just moving into that room? It looks like you’ll be a while and I can’t do my job while you’re making that noise”

Infrastructure guy doens’t look up: “No”. And continues taping.

“I’m asking nicely and I don’t know why you can’t?”

Silence. Well, from his mouth. The taping continues.

She get’s up and walks into the room to see what is in there. She walks out and again says: “The room has clear workbenches that are more appropriate for that work. Can you please go in there and stop disrupting everyone else”

Silence. Again, just from his mouth. The taping continues.

The infrastructure team lead is right there also. Silence from him. Silence from everyone. She walks away. He keeps taping, and continues for 5 minutes before stopping and also walking away.

None of the people near her helped. The team lead who was responsible should have stepped in but didn’t look up from his monitor. ■■■■■■■ disgraceful.

So why didn’t you help?

So why didn't you help?
Part of the reason I'm posting.

What should I have done? I was 30m away with about 20 people between me and the incident. Does that make my inaction OK?

And does a non-involved man interjecting reek of patriarchy? She was handling it very well. Far better than I would have in her place.

And what should I do now? Should I contact HR to advise them of my account of the incident?

I don’t have the answers to these questions. So what would other people do, looking at this from the outside?

Punch him in the throat. It’s what Clarko would do, and he’s accredited.

Pretty hard to get involved with that many people in between. I’m assuming that he was using one of those box tapers? Sounds like the team lead is a gutless ■■■■ kisser though.
Someone should have got his attention with a hint of sarcasm by saying something like “I guess speaking to clients on the phone isn’t as important as packing ■■■■ up” loud enough to rattle his cage.

If this guy is annoying her she should have done a “Clarkson”

Apparently its OK, but only if he was annoying her

But seriously it should be the team leaders/managers that should be stepping in. As a contractor its sometimes difficult to know where you stand.

It may be worth having a quiet word with the commercial manager just to let her know if she is planning on taking it further she can count on your support.

the above is what we would all want to do but obviously no
doing nothing is just as bad

speak to their team lead explaining the behaviour is unacceptable and point out the room provided for this type of work. remind him that its his/her responsibility to ensure his team use it etc. Most importantly he must apologise to the commercial manager.

If this does nothing write it all down and contact HR.

If you can’t be comfortable in your work environment its not worth turning up

Stab him in a particularly bleedy area of the body, with a stanley knife.

Then tape over the wound.

If he screams, pretend you can’t hear him.

Surely there is someone above you can go to.

Or I would do ■■■■ to annoy him back.

I had something similar where a co-worker was taping a box up. I asked, she said she will be a few minutes so I moved the box for her.

Problem solved

So why didn't you help?
Part of the reason I'm posting.

What should I have done? I was 30m away with about 20 people between me and the incident. Does that make my inaction OK?

And does a non-involved man interjecting reek of patriarchy? She was handling it very well. Far better than I would have in her place.

And what should I do now? Should I contact HR to advise them of my account of the incident?

I don’t have the answers to these questions. So what would other people do, looking at this from the outside?

Is she a member of a Union and does she have a Delegate?

IT guy in our office isn’t a bad bloke, despite being a wog, and by extension a ■■■■ Carlton supporter.

If he brought lunch from home and put it in the work fridge, eat it.

Speak to their boss politely. Then follow it up with an email detailing your discussion. Explain to the affected person what you intend to do, so they don’t get blindsided or accused of doing it.

Looks like there’s gonna be a showdown at some stage, and you want HR in your corner.

We had a ‘motivational’ speaker talk to us recently. She described it as ‘the bacon wars’ (long story…) this is your Bacon War.

■■■■ on his desk

Keep an incident log, taking note of the time and place 0f what happened, who was involved and what was said. HR love that kind of thing if the proverbial hits the fan later on.

Take a leak in his coffee

Or worse

Take a leak in his coffee

Tea bag his mug

Glad wrap on the toilet seat.
Just make sure everyone else knows about it.