World Cup 2014

PLEASE DON’T SELL CABAYE

France 6 - Australia 0
Conceded 12 in last two games, didn't watch the game but most write up's were horrible. Hope they find some fight or it could be embarrassing on the big stage.
Would be a shame for those going over, I know a couple of guys who are, they might have to entertain themselves with the local sights.

Obviously tanking

At least Benzema is in form.

Holger has just been sacked.

9 months away from the world cup. What a debacle.
Happens regularly in World Soccer, 9 months is plenty of time to turn things around. New coach with new ideas and several more friendlies coming up means it all isn't doom and gloom.
Would love to see us grab a big name coach even if it was only on a short term period until the end of the Cup next year. Throw a stack of coin at someone like Sir Alex, imagine the interest and support if we landed a big fish like that, might be the kickstart required. The FFA have got plenty of coin so lets attract a big name
is 9 months plenty of time to develop a whole new batch of as yet unknown high-quality players and get them playing as a cohesive team?

Happens regularly in World Soccer, 9 months is plenty of time to turn things around. New coach with new ideas and several more friendlies coming up means it all isn't doom and gloom.
Would love to see us grab a big name coach even if it was only on a short term period until the end of the Cup next year. Throw a stack of coin at someone like Sir Alex, imagine the interest and support if we landed a big fish like that, might be the kickstart required. The FFA have got plenty of coin so lets attract a big name
is 9 months plenty of time to develop a whole new batch of as yet unknown high-quality players and get them playing as a cohesive team?
Yep sure is.
Soccer is a lot differeant to football, regularly see crap soccer teams turn around poor form with a change of coach and maybe only 2 or 3 players coming in. Add 3 or 4 players to that socceroos side and the results would be differant, may not win but atleast would be competitive and wouldnt cop 6-0 hidings.

Think we have to be realistic. Won't get out of the group stage at the World Cup, and I douby very much that we will qualify for the 2018 World Cup. We need to take the slow path and target the 2022 World Cup. I am unsure whether there are deep-seated issues with the talent base or whether its a cyclical issue.

Think we have to be realistic. Won't get out of the group stage at the World Cup, and I douby very much that we will qualify for the 2018 World Cup. We need to take the slow path and target the 2022 World Cup. I am unsure whether there are deep-seated issues with the talent base or whether its a cyclical issue.

I am realist and know we havnt got much chance in Brazil but I have hope we can atleast make a game out of our fixtures and not be totally embarassed. Whatever happens ill be there cheering them on

Yep sure is.
Soccer is a lot differeant to football, regularly see crap soccer teams turn around poor form with a change of coach and maybe only 2 or 3 players coming in. Add 3 or 4 players to that socceroos side and the results would be differant, may not win but atleast would be competitive and wouldnt cop 6-0 hidings.
That could easily happen with a club side, but with a national team the options for new players are somewhat limited! I hope I am wrong, but I don't think we have the cattle coming through at the moment.

I am realist and know we havnt got much chance in Brazil but I have hope we can atleast make a game out of our fixtures and not be totally embarassed. Whatever happens ill be there cheering them on

I agree. Best option is to get an overseas coach for the world cup campaign, and then get an Aussie coach.

We have to appoint the next coach as a 4-5 year appointment to sett he whole thing up, from youth level. Getting a big-name on big $$$ gets us in the headlines but they will only move on to the next big paycheque. I like Ange, I think he would covet the role and do the best thing for Australian football. Go to Brazil, do the very best we can with the players at our disposal, then once that ends we have to plan for the future.

I tend to think we have a problem with talent, rather than being a cyclical issue, seeing that the Youth teams have been non-competitive in the last 6 years. But we will know more in 6 or 8 years.

Was incredibly entertaining listing to Ralf and Bartlett talking about what they think is wrong with the socceroos, this morning.

So far out of their depth.

Yep sure is.
That could easily happen with a club side, but with a national team the options for new players are somewhat limited! I hope I am wrong, but I don't think we have the cattle coming through at the moment.

Frank Farina finished as socceroos coach in 2005.

2006 world cup we went OK IIRC.

Few different players, much different coaching set-up and different selections can make a big difference.

Post world cup I think we should go for Ange. He's typically taken a year or two to teach his club sides to play the way he wants, so might not be the best idea for a quick 9 month run-in.

Right now I think we should just get the best available, Guus or another Guus with experienec on the world stage.

Nothing coming through the under 20s ethier they just got done 5-1 by Vietnam afew weeks ago

One of the main things which gets overlooked in a national head coach IMO, which the Australian coaches don’t have is; finding opportunities for players to join clubs through out Europe.

Hiddink was instrumental at telling players to leave Low level clubs for opportunities at Eredivisie. Hiddink had the networks with clubs throughout Europe who would try Younger Socceroos.

This pretty important ATM, with so many young players chasing coin in UAE or Qatar.

One of the main things which gets overlooked in a national head coach IMO, which the Australian coaches don't have is; finding opportunities for players to join clubs through out Europe.
Hiddink was instrumental at telling players to leave Low level clubs for opportunities at Eredivisie. Hiddink had the networks with clubs throughout Europe who would try Younger Socceroos.
This pretty important ATM, with so many young players chasing coin in UAE or Qatar.

Agreed. Not enough players plying their trade in Europe. The A-League is an absolute joke, and not really sufficient for developing players to compete at the highest level.

I would go a step further and find a way to get Aussie coaches employed in Europe. The experience of,man management and tactical acumen, would be invaluable. Think our coaches need to show more ambition.

We have to appoint the next coach as a 4-5 year appointment to sett he whole thing up, from youth level. Getting a big-name on big $$$ gets us in the headlines but they will only move on to the next big paycheque. I like Ange, I think he would covet the role and do the best thing for Australian football. Go to Brazil, do the very best we can with the players at our disposal, then once that ends we have to plan for the future.

spot on. Whoever they get needs to be in it for the long term. Can't be afraid to axe veterans from the "golden generation".

They need someone that will teach the team to play the right way, keep the ball on the ground. Introduce some pace into the team.

They shouldn't be concentrating on the WC imo, but the Asian cup. This is probably are only legitimate chance to win a cup. The World Cup should be about giving the guys that are going to be in the Asian cup first 11 as much international experience as they can get.

If Ange is the best fit then pick him. The national team is more important than the lge. If you go the other way and have the lge pulling the strings it ends up very badly. Just look at what's been happening with England for the past 3+ decades

I don’t care who it is, I just want ten to sweep a broom through the squad. I’d go as far as not taking anyone over 27 to Brazil; it’s already a write off, use the experience to blood kids for 2018

Is Ange the best coach for the Socceroos? I know he was/is majorly successful in A-league but is it best to get a local coach? Does he have that experience and the mind that can take AUS out the slump? Genuine questions, but I never thought that a local coach is better than an international one..