World Cup Thread 2018

Stupid question, but I assume that all domestic leagues would be in recess whilst the WC is on. Or would they go as per usual sans any players in the WC?

All leagues must cease whilst the WC is on.
Will mean the season must start earlier or finish later as they still need to get the same amount of games in

Some similarities to our saga in that a corrupt organisation is known to be in the wrong but there is no real outcry other than a select few to out them and change the result. I know some FIFA execs have been brought to light for the bribes, but for me this WC should have been removed from them a while ago.

1 Like

So for the Semi the entire country basically shut down, hardly anything was open, it was a business ghost town. Almost the entire population were glued to a TV or in public spots to watch it.
If you haven’t seen the footage on Optus of the zagreb reaction you should check it out. Otherwise I can. Post some videos from my parents.
4m Croats and 3.5 would have been watching the game.
Try to Imagine what the next AFL premiership will mean to Essendon supports after everything. Now imagine that 85%+ of a tiny country will feel like that.
I can’t really put it into words.
Regardless of the side the Yugo breakdown was a fkn nightmare in the region, we all lost family and friends and you can still see remnants of the war all over the country. There are still landmines and shells in the smaller towns.
Btw: I actually support Australia first and love my home, so I can only imagine how my dad and uncle and rest of my family that actually lived through that feel.

9 Likes

I guarantee you every player on the team would say the exact same thing.

Is the story of that guy on the Croatian team who got sent home after the first game legit?

Yups, it is I am not 100% sure on if he was injured or the full details, im sure will get the rest of the info post tournament.
However whatever it was they sent him home and we’re a player down on the squad after game 1.
Amazing.

Kalinic? It was because he refused to come on as a sub in the first game so they sent him home.

Good call by him.

4 Likes

I heard a few whispers he was having back spasms or something similar.
Yes idiot call.

Just can’t bring myself to support Croatia so hoping the French win in a canter

1 Like

Why not?

croatians.

the dogs fans of soccer.

I don’t want to see croatia win but the thought of pogba with a world cup winners make me feel physically ill. A ‘world class’ player manmarking fellaini. Something seriously wrong with that sentence. France it is then!

???

Too many brawls against the Croats in the old NSL days. Adelaide City and Melbourne Croatia fans had some big dust ups before, during and after the games. Have a couple of nice scars still as a reminder of my misspent youth

5 Likes

Aceman - a rabble rouser in the nsl days lol.

One in all in. Melb knights and Perth used to have some epic dust ups.

1 Like

I have stories about the smfc and melbourne croatia games but I’m not going to go there. Needless to say, theres carnts on both sides of the fence. Honestly surprised adelaide had dust ups with them

Only against the Croats and Hellas from Melbourne :rofl:

2 Likes

Even hellas? Really? Guess I was young and may have forgotten.