World Cup Thread 2018

And so ends one of the more entertaining and memorable finals.

Didnā€™t have a single shot on target all tournament.

ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  spud

And World Cups.

Best Iā€™ve watched in 30 years.

1 Like

Goodnight boys, its been fun.

Back to the game day threads and the meltdowns

3 Likes

The final is the only game l have watched. Only found out l had cable TV today where l am staying.

1 Like

Oh fk. Donā€™t you hate that?

1 Like

Not really. l would have ended up with square eyes otherwise, and sat up half the night, every night for a couple of weeks. Time to sck out now.

2 Likes

Sigh, well a great game to end the world cup. Best final in a very very long time.
Iā€™m still on the fence with penalty, no chance that inital free kick was there.
Sad result for the team and country but they gave all they could and we are all proud.
This should be the advert to fix VAR or remove it all together. Review all free kicks leading to even a shot on goal.

3 Likes

The battles on and off the pitch against Melbourne Croatia were rather interesting.

Great finalā€¦I thought Croatia were the better team. First goal was certainly not a foul, then from the resulting kick Pogba was offsideā€¦considering ā€˜all goals are reviewedā€™ by VAR I am not sure how that was able to get by without a look as he interfered with play. The penalty I donā€™t think was thereā€¦when did the rule change from ā€˜intentā€™ to if it hits your arm itā€™s automatically called. There was no intent there to play the ball with his hand and it only hit him because Kante missed the header. If the referee has to spend that long looking at it, then goes back for a 2nd look, he to was unsure so he should have gone with his original decision of a corner. Pogbaā€™s finish was nice (would be nice if he could do that for United for a change) and Mbappeā€™s goal was a nice strikeā€¦have to wonder if the keeper was still suffering the injury he copped during the Russia game. Hugo Karius made the game fun towards the end, but the game turned when the crowd entered the pitchā€¦France were able to pick back up and Croatia were slow getting back into their rhythm. Great tournament though and farking Giroudā€¦a #9 with 0 shots on target all tournament is a World Cup winner!!

2 Likes

Couple of weeks? Try a month.

Some of us on here are ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  at the moment, body clock all out of shape

4 Likes

Donā€™t really get how you could argue that wasnā€™t a pen. His arms were flailing away from his body. Hearing some weird comments (even from Tim Cahill) like ā€œwhat was he supposed to doā€ and ā€œhe had no time to reactā€. Thatā€™s not the point.

Also VAR sucks

As long as it is only the clock that is bent out of shape, nothing much to worry about. This is the first game of soccer l have seen in years, it was v enjoyable, partly because l had zero emotional investment in the outcome, but l was barracking for the under dog.

My word France are an unlikable bunchā€¦ so much carrying on and so many punch-able facesā€¦ that celebration by Greizmann was embarrassingā€¦

2 Likes

Sigh

Thanks Rosso, I was just starting to get over that too

France were clearly the best team of the tournament, they deserved to win. Croatia had a hell of a run though

That was a great tournament, now what am I going to do late at nights?

Back to ā– ā– ā– ā– ? P O R N.

4 Likes

On paper yes, but not in practice. I thought they were rubbish but got through an easy group. Did not think they played anywhere near what they should have, and Croatia played a better 90 mins.

After rewatching parts again I feel a touch angry.
No Free, VAR penalty debatable and Pogba easily offside.
Mbappe goal was fkn sublime though. No chance of stopping that.
Ohhhh well. Still proud of our efforts.

4 Likes

They also knocked out Argentina in the rd of 16 (in the game of the tournament), Uruguay in the QF and Belgium in the SF. All in regular time. I donā€™t like the French team but they are certainly deserved winners.

Huge respect for Croatia though - so much ticker (and talent) in that team.

5 Likes

Easy. There was clearly no intent, and that is a large part of the law of the game. In this case it was clearly ball to hand rather than the other way around and should not have been a penalty. Remember, handball has to be a deliberate act to be awarded a penalty, and there is no way you could call that a deliberate act.

3 Likes