Would you still love footy if you were born in 2004

Funny, I was reading this thread then came across this:

http://tbldaily.com/back-then-the-afl-was-simple/

Back then, the AFL was simple…
By Daniel Clark | July 9, 2014

AFL_Image.jpg

The AFL/VFL has been the pinnacle of winter sport in Australia since 1897, continuing to grow from strength-to-strength, developing passionate fans like no other sporting competition this country has ever seen. The other respective football codes in Australia had pockets of popularity spread out across this great land, however as far as a true national competition went, the AFL/VFL was certainly the widest-reaching and ultimately became the most popular.

From its small, humble beginnings in suburban Melbourne, the League expanded and continued to flourish for almost 120 years, attracting record crowds who blindly idolised their heroes both on and off the field. Players were household names and not too long after the middle of the 20th century, players could earn a living from playing the sport they loved – and rightly so.

As a child growing up in the outer suburbs of Melbourne in the 1990′s, all my mates and I ever dreamed of was running out onto the famous MCG, in front of 100,000 screaming fans and kicking the winning goal after the siren, to deliver our faithful a premiership win for the ages.

Back then, nothing else really mattered. The mood of my whole 48-hour weekend was decided upon what happened in the three hours in which the Essendon Football Club was playing. If they won, life was grand. If they lost, I‘d spend hours-upon-hours in my room crying and wondering why the world was so unkind. This was not uncommon for a child back then, in fact I‘d even argue it was the norm.

Back then, the media focused on strongly built, power forward superstars such as Tony Lockett, Jason Dunstall and Wayne Carey. If players, superstars or not, performed well and went out that night to celebrate with their teammates over a few beers, passers-by would approach them, congratulating them and sometimes, if they were lucky, they‘d even get an opportunity to share a beer with them.

Back then, the game was simple. Gain possession of the ball and kick it long to a one-on-one contest, backing your teammate to beat his opponent, before going back to kick the goal from 40 metres out. The forward, who‘d often only have seven or eight kicks a game, would make them count and usually slotted the ball straight through the middle at post height. Players rarely had 40 possessions and teams rarely had more than 400 disposals as a collective group.

Back then, a score of 60 points would usually result in a ten goal flogging and games frequently had each team scoring in excess of 100 points. The focus was on attacking game plans and efficient use of the ball - move it forward and get some points on the board.

Back then, footy stickers were sold for 90 cents a packet and when you opened it up and revealed a player from the team you supported, it was sure to be a wonderful day. The only sour note was receiving a sticker you‘d already had, but even then you‘d trade it with your mate and help each other complete their own collection. A scarf, a footy, a home-knitted jumper and a footy sticker album was enough to make any child happy.

Back then, heading to the footy was a family event like no other. Mum and dad would take some food, usually a mixture of something healthy and a snack for the later moments of the game. Alternatively, you could buy a meat pie and soft drink and still expect change from a five dollar note. The entire outing was an affordable experience which brought families closer together. The prices were fixed and it allowed families to budget and plan their weekends in advance – the process was simple, yet very effective.

Back then, just six umpires walked out to officiate a game and enforced a set of rules which had hardly been altered for 100 years. At times mistakes were made and of course the crowd boo‘ed, however the game was generally well umpired and the focus was on protecting the player who attempted to get the ball. The approach was understood and the media focused on the costly mistakes made by players and not that of the men in white. Yes, the men in white – not yellow, or green, or pink or red.

Back then, the game grew from strength-to-strength and most years, the footballing public would respond to annual fan surveys with the overwhelming majority usually noting that the game was in a better state than it was the season prior. The footballing public was, in general, proud of their game – a unique game played only in our country with no need to experiment in overseas markets.

Last week, after yet another weekend where my social media feeds were filled with many ranting a raving fans about various issues in the AFL today, I asked a simple question…

Factoring in quality of play, standard of umpiring, fixturing, media coverage and affordability, is the AFL in a better or worsestate compared to what it was two years ago?

Many responses were obtained and the results were nothing short of alarming:

BETTER – 3%

WORSE – 96%

NEUTRAL – 1%

Back then, I‘d never have imagined seeing a result like this.

Don‘t get me wrong, the AFL is still a wonderful game and for the foreseeable future, it is likely to remain Australia‘s most popular winter sporting code. However, as soccer continues its rapid rise in Australia and as many young fans start taking an interest in sporting leagues all around the world, the next twelve months are as crucial as any in the last fifty or more years.

Judging by the results of this survey, it is clear to see that there are many fans out there who are not happy with the way in which the game is heading and something needs to give.

Personally, I think it‘s time the AFL went back to its roots and made the game more entertaining for the fans. It‘s time attending the footy returned to being an affordable family outing and not one which can only be attended by those who are lucky enough to afford to do so. And finally, probably more importantly than anything else, it‘s time to change the way in which this great game is covered in the media.

At a seminar I attended a few weeks ago, the guest presenter (a former high-profile AFL footballer) told the audience that there were approximately 1,000 accredited media personnel covering the AFL. This figure, if correct, is absolutely absurd when considering there are less than 1,000 players in the AFL at any given time.

The AFL has a new CEO and with this, comes an opportunity for change. Andrew Demetriou delivered some great outcomes for the League, in particular spreading it to parts of Australia in which it had previously never been done before. In his decade-long tenure he also attracted new audiences, especially women, and for that he needs to be applauded for.

It‘s now it‘s over to Gillon McLachlan to return the game to a fan-friendly experience. McLachlan, a very intelligent and highly-regarded businessman, must surely be aware of the significant challenges which await and on behalf of all football fans, I wish him well in his endeavours.

AFL is not a sport. Is a league.

No chance.

not as many streakers as there used to be, cant have a kick after the game, pretty sad state of affairs imho.

I found myself sitting at Etihad a few times this year thinking along these lines. I’ve been going to the footy since I was about 5, 2001 and then going most weeks since 2004 probably, and even I found myself looking around thinking this isn’t how I remember it. Mostly it’s a reflection of the sad state of affairs we’re in at the moment, but I look around and wish I could see a 50,000 full crowd and Matthew Lloyd in the goalsquare, Hirdy floating around infront of him but it’s just not how it is any more. The positional thing makes the biggest difference, looking at 3qtrs of the field being bereft of anyone standing there.

But there’s no doubt when we start winning regularly and the crowds come back the game will look just as good to me as it did when I was 8 years old with the number 5 on my back.

I like it better when we play consistently well. We haven't for a decade.

The lucky thing for ten year olds is all they see is the football.

they don't see all the stuff done behind closed doors. and afl corruption etc.

But if kids don't get teased wearing Essendon jumpers and have people saying the bombers cheat why would you follow them.

Or didn't you have your injections today, or references to supplements.

That would give me the ■■■■■...With no success since 2004 and the drama, it would be tough to be a young bomber fan....

But we have arguably the best young KPF in the game coming along and the best 21 year old heppell and the best 39 year old in the AFL. We still have the equal most premierships 16...going by most peoples tallies of AFL/VFL premierships.

And our team looks like playing finals this year and in the future.

whereas a ten year old supporting Brisbane or StKilda or the Bulldogs would be tough times. It would be hard to get excited about st Kilda if I was a young saints fan....

As for the state of the game I will give a rating out of ten for the following indicators

Umpiring  3/10  thought the game was umpired better in the 90's & noughties

Coaching 5/10  a lot of the weaker teams employ coaching tactis to limit damage rather than win game. (Dees) Beat us!

Excitement 9/10 Essendon  5/10 other teams

Crowds  6/10 

AFL Administration 2/10  

The AFL used to mean the 16 clubs to me or 14 or whatever there was at the time....I used to love the AFL symbol and what it meant the top football league in Australia. Now I just think of Vlad, corruption putting tv rights before fans...selling the games soul to fatten their pay checks and Bonuses.

The Crowds are hard to gauge as haven't been to a game this year yet but Crowds are down, due to a number of things scheduling/pricing system & cost. but Adelaide Oval has been a good story.

The last two years now we are getting better the amount of close games we have had has had me on the edge of my seat. 

Unfortunately the rest of the competition is less exciting than it used to be. More teams probably = less care factor. Like I used to watch every game on tv now I just watch Essendon and the Friday/Saturday night game if can be bo

Yep, I love footy. Always will. Il be that type of bloke to HAVE A FEW BEVVIES in my lounge chair when im old still watching footy and loving it, yelling at the missus (or mutley the 5th) about some crap.

I reckon so.  Most of the BS that's wrong with the game at AFL level kids wouldn't care about or understand.

and yeah, the game isn't the same, but if you were a kid growing up with it today you wouldn't know any different.

This is why I prefer watching the VFL, more classic style, more open, more space, the older style is just more fun to watch.

My favourite era was the late 90s into the early 2000s, for obvious reasons, more offensive then defensive game. Better commentators. Listening to Landy, etc. all those classic commentators that actually talked about the technicalities of the game.

Fingers crossed it returns to that style some day.

This is why I prefer watching the VFL, more classic style, more open, more space, the older style is just more fun to watch.

My favourite era was the late 90s into the early 2000s, for obvious reasons, more offensive then defensive game. Better commentators. Listening to Landy, etc. all those classic commentators that actually talked about the technicalities of the game.

Fingers crossed it returns to that style some day.

Have to disagree on one point. Peter ■■■■■■ Landy. Worst common potator l have ever heard, for any sport, aka the inaccurate one. On average he probably got some fact wrong about every 5 minutes, throughout his entire career. He was hopeless. lt wasn't just the footy he managed to stuff up either, but the Ozzie open tennis also suffered from his continual blunders. To be fair he was good at calling the rowing in the Olympics, that was one sport that he knew something about, every 4 years. Correction it was the only sport he knew something about. 

I recall in 2000 the flooding tactics and the commentators groaning about what it was and might do to the game. Can't recall if it was much of a thing before then often but certainly recall it being attempted against us a fair bit. Tactically, I think this was the beginning of when that pure attacking, one on one spectacle started to recede. That's the aspect of the game that I fell in love with and I really appreciate it these days when there is more of this in a game regardless of who is playing because we just don't see it enough anymore. 

I recall in 2000 the flooding tactics and the commentators groaning about what it was and might do to the game. Can't recall if it was much of a thing before then often but certainly recall it being attempted against us a fair bit. Tactically, I think this was the beginning of when that pure attacking, one on one spectacle started to recede. That's the aspect of the game that I fell in love with and I really appreciate it these days when there is more of this in a game regardless of who is playing because we just don't see it enough anymore. 

WILSON: HIRD FORCED REST OF LEAGUE TO DESTROY GAME

While I supported Essendon, The game that won me over to football as a child was the Salmon vs Ablett game.

My 7 year old nephew’s father goes for Melbourne… Much to his disgust and my sister’s pleasure he chose Essendon without us having to do much at all.

He’s really into footy at the moment so I don’t think we are seeing a downturn in passion. A big issue with modern footy though is the terrible timeslots. Correct me if I’m wrong, but have we had a single game yet start before 4.40pm aside from anzac day in Melbourne? If they fix this up next year we’ll see more families start to go.

While I supported Essendon, The game that won me over to football as a child was the Salmon vs Ablett game.

Great game.  

Go the Big Fish!

Had I been born in 2004, I would think the game I'd grown up with was how it was supposed to have been played, and therefore, yeah, I would probably still love it, because I wouldn't know any better.

Having been born in the 60s, grown up with it in the 70s and 80s, I am more and more disappointed by it. 

And mostly that's been since the AFL took over the running of the game.

I have lived in many countries and adopted their sports culture; cricket, tennis, rugby, American football, baseball, soccer etc. but Aussie rules football is my favourite for no other reasons than the players. AFL politics certainly made the game less enjoyable to me now than, say, 10-20 years ago but without the benefit of hindsight, footy is still the one for me.

I had a VFL game on while I was home on the weekend (I think it was Williamstown versus someone) and even though it was a cold wet day, it was really good to watch.

More open, more long kicking to a contest, and tougher than AFL. Less staging. Also at that level, the umps seem more willing to say "you ducked into the tackle, play on". In the AFL, any player who falls or dives into high contact gets paid the free even though they instigated the contact, and in lots of cases the contact was minimal or non existent...

You stated in your OP that umpires don't pay enough free kicks - Now at this VFL game the umpires let the game go. Which one is it ?

I grew up in the 70's where umpires routinely paid 80+ free kicks and sometimes a hundred - It was hard to watch because the game was stop/start - less free kicks the better.   

No real issue with the game - There have been plenty of 8 goals vs 7 goal games in the history of the VFL/AFL - There have always been attacking teams and defensive teams, though we think footy has only got defensive in the last 10 years - There has always been versions of zones/floods/loose man in defence etc ( though not done as professionally as now ) People rave about defensive pressure But I remember the Carlton mosquitp fleet of the 70's and 80's placed lots of pressure on defenders, though not necessarily for a full game like today - All the defensive tactics of 2014 are themes from the past.    

Well I'm nine years old so I guess if I was born in 2004 my love of the game wouldn't change much. I never watched footy in the 90s or earlier because I didn't exist yet. And I don't watch Footy Classified because it's on past my bedtime and I don't read the newspapers because I'm not a ■■■■■■■ nerd.

Footy is awesome.