Would you trade the number 1 pick? Jackets wouldn't

We’re not guaranteed to get the spoon, but it still seems more likely than not, which means we probably get pick 1. Despite the way it gets fetishised, it’s still just a draft pick and the players it’s used to select are the same promising 18 year olds everyone else is picking from. So would you trade it out?

Obviously the answer is yes. If GWS said you could have Cameron, Lobb, Shiel, Coniglio and Whitfield for pick 1 you’d do that trade without a second’s though. But is there a realistic situation in which you’d trade out the number 1 pick?

Pick 1 gives you the best chance of getting the best player in the draft and that’s not to be sneezed at, but at the same times the absolute odds of getting the best player in the draft with pick 1 aren’t very good; it’s not a golden ticket to a great player. Over the last 20 years, the number 1 pick has never been the clear best player from the draft, and only 4-5 times been in the conversation as the best player from their draft. Yes, Freo messed up royally when they traded out pick 1, but that was hardly the first (or last) disastrous trade they made.

Given that, I would consider trading out pick 1 for a couple of reasons. Firstly there’s currently no stand out pick for #1 so far this year. That may change over the course of the champs and maybe a no-brainer clear best player will emerge, but at the moment there’s a few players in the race and not because they’re all flawless. Secondly, we’re in an unusual position for a wooden spooner for obvious reasons, so there’s less need for us as a club to give supporters the long term hope of a #1 pick rather than aiming for the highest chance of the best list.

As an example of the kind of trade I’d be interested in, GC have (based on the current ladder) pick 8, 10, 22, 26, 27 and Jack Bowes, who’s a potential top 5 academy player. For them pick 8 is a dead pick, and pick 10 would end up being more like pick 14. Pick 1 on the other hand is immune to academy bids meaning they’d definitely get to use it, so they might be interested in something like 8, 10 & 22 for pick 1. Or perhaps Prestia is looking to move, and we could get 8 and Prestia for pick 1.

Anyway, I’m not saying we should be actively shopping it around or that we should trade it just for the sake of it, just that I’d definitely think about it if an interesting opportunity came up. I guess this should be a poll?

Why do we want to win

Winning becomes a habit. So does losing

Coming last is not an option.

Difference between elite top 5 mid or a top 20 mid

So the conclusions to draw from that statement are that you can only get a top 5 midfielder with the first pick, after which you have to choose from outside the elite talent pool, and if we do start winning we’ll obviously finish on top of the ladder and have our first pick in the 20s…

Right?

I’d swap zerrett and parish to the top bracket. And go mc#1age

Hypothetically speaking only (always get best available at rnd 1 of draft).

If we were drafting for needs would we get Brodie to support

Jobe
Myers
Hocking
Heppel
Langford
Bird

Or mcclugagge to support

Parish
Zaha
Colyer
Fanta
Zerret
Laverde
Stants
Goddard

Feels like our core outside brigade is younger and that Brodie would be a better fit?

If Brisbane finish last they surely would trade pick 1 for two top 10 picks (if possible)

Why do we want to win

Difference between elite top 5 mid or a top 20 mid

Correct

Don't get too attached to McCluggage, kid will be heading North if he keeps pumping out these 30 & 3's.
Geez, we've endured the sorry saga for so long and now I find out Essendon is relocating to NSW/Queensland. Damn.
Why do we want to win

ACTING LIKE WE HAVE A CHOICE.

Why do we want to win

Are we a chance of beating gold coast, now Ablett is ruled out for the year.

Depends how the corrupt AFL instruct the maggots that day.

Except Ablett out. will likely improve them.

The marquee guys absence often makes the rest of the team come on more. It did the last time

Not sure what kind of spread of results they look at but the Lions have done the following over the past 3 seasons:

2015: 16th (4 wins 1 draw)
2014: 15th (7 wins)
2013: 12th (10 wins)

Average: 14th (7 wins)

If you compare to the Bloos who asked for a priority pick last season:

2015: 18th (4 wins)
2014: 13th (7 wins 1 draw)
2013: 8th (11 wins)

Average: 13th (7.5 wins)

I’d suggest if the Lions only come away with 2-3 wins they’d be in with a decent shot, factoring in the AFL history of being overly generous to the northern clubs, they might even get one if they win 4.

Melbourne since the end of the priority pick era (the last two years of which they were the wooden spooners)
2010: 12th (8 wins)
2011: 13th (8 wins)
2012: 16th (4 wins)
2013: 17th (2 wins)
2014: 17th (4 wins)
2015: 13th (7 wins)

Average: 15th (5.5 wins). It goes down the 16th and 5.1 wins counting 08 and 09. The AFL have shown no interest in handing out priority picks since the rules change, and I don’t think they’ll do it this year. Maybe next year if the Lions go 2-3 wins this year and the same again next year. Maybe.

Why do we want to win

Depends how the corrupt AFL instruct the maggots that day.

draft the best kid NOT managed by Shitstain Connors.

Don't get too attached to McCluggage, kid will be heading North if he keeps pumping out these 30 & 3's.
Thanks And Now Kick

*this is a code shhhh

Dont think so, Brisbane is our best chance of a win before the end of the year. Cant see them winning another game TBH

I’ve got us beating Richmond, Carlton, Gold Coast, Brisbane and we always win the return match with Collingwood.

Adelaide might be tough though, and Geelong aren’t looking terrific.

Don’t get too attached to McCluggage, kid will be heading North if he keeps pumping out these 30 & 3’s.

Best decision-maker: Hugh McCluggage (“you know when he has the ball he’s gonna find a teammate”)

Oh god we need this

Yep! Smart footballers please.
I think off the back of a good performance, people are being pretty optimistic that we will win a game. It was interesting when we got in front on Sunday, St Kilda then piled on 2-3 goals pretty quickly. I don't think we have the cattle to beat even Brisbane or GCS given they'll be up for beating us.

We will beat Brisbane comfortably IMO. They are horrendous.