Would you trade the number 1 pick? Jackets wouldn't

I know that pretending we've got everyone else outsmarted is one of the core pillars of the Essendon Football Club but again, I don't know what was gained by being coy about putting it on the market.

I also wonder if there’s a larger discussion to be had about the value of one very high pick to the worst football club each year. Surely that’s almost always of more benefit to the top clubs where the bottom clubs would almost always be better suited with multiple picks. We were the most unique wooden spoon team in league history though given the calibre of players we have coming back of course.

Can you stick your bottom lip out any further? Do you want the dummy stuck back in so you can spit it out again?

not sure how he is spitting the dummy, he is just questioning the club and how they went about things. Just because you don’t agree with him doesn’t mean he is spitting the dummy.

Make no mistake, it’s a dummy spit.

We gain lots of media coverage. The sponsors would love it. And it’s fair to say we need the money…otherwise we may need to borrow the tin rattlers tins!

Just brought this over as I found it interesting. Sounds like we were keen, just couldn’t do it.

If true Gold Coast did the right thing. To get 4 players in the top 10 Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodia and Bowes is exactly what they needed.

I did make this call a long time ago, though mine was Brodie/English.

Not complaining with McGrath but McCluggage is really developing into a star player. Watched a bit of that game from the weekend, reminds me a bit of Mercuri. Just classy, always has time and makes the right decision. They’ve got a super crop of kids there, Berry, Hipwood, Witherden, Rayner & Taylor to name a few. Lions finally coming good.

5 Likes

Don’t be afraid to say what you really think, you wouldn’t be the only one.

1 Like

SHOULD’VE TAKEN TARANTIO LIKE I ■■■■■■■ SAID.

Should have done the Brissie deal if it was available. Pick #1 for #3 and #16.

1 Like

McGrath starting to look pretty impressive in the midfield.

Pace, contested ball, smarts, defensive mindset and leadership give him another off season or two and he’s going to be a beauty. People obsess over attacking mids I reckon he will end up a really unique player that will be extremely valuable.

2 Likes

I think all 3 who went first are going to be special.

2 Likes

It was never available. Well not to us anyway.

McGrath averaging 24 touches the past month, Just wait until he’s played 50 games through the middle, Kids gonna be a serious weapon for a long time.

2 Likes

Clug looks like he’s put on 10kg since being drafted.

MCG has way more improvement in him than Mcclug and Taranto. The top 3 do look like the most dynamic of this draft though. MCclug will be a 30 possession accumulator with good skills. Taranto will be a 30 possession, 1 goal a game mid. MCG will be a 30 possession line breaker. Any would have been fine though.

McCluggage is the goalkicking midfielder out of the three, I don’t see him as simply an ‘accumulator’. Has a proven history of hurt factor as a junior which looks like it will translate just fine to AFL.

I’m absolutely rapt with McGrath who looks an absolute beauty, but I won’t be downplaying Taranto and McCluggage if they turn out to be ‘better’. The need to ‘win’ in these draft revision conversations becomes so puerile.

5 Likes

mcclugage has the most improvement.

wtf are you smoking?

3 Likes

He could start nailing easy shots for a start.

Sure. I still hope we get the best player.

McLuggage is a natural point-kicking midfielder

Wow that makes me feel better about the 6 kg I put on since he was drafted.

18 Likes