Wrap Up v Richmond

This should be painted in one metre high font on the walls a TVS:

jonovdp34m
I have never liked the opposition having a spareman in defense.

Since the Hird era, it has hurt us every time.

Rarely have we ever been able to overcome it.

It happened under Hird. It happened under Thompson. And now Worsfold.

My thinking Is, that our midfield doesn’t hold up to opposition sides. So we need a extra man at the contest.

2 Likes

It’s almost like last weeks win was just to shut up the doubters who thought Essendon couldn’t back up a win.

Have the umpires been destroying us and costing us games for a decade +?

It was nowhere near as bad as you make out and we lost because they have generally better players than us and our coaching is suspect at best.

Good teams win anywhere, anytime and beat the odds and umpires etc. You could have doubled our free kick count and the result would have been pretty similar. Richmond just would have dug deep and did the same thing.

5 Likes

A sobering assessment of how far we have to go.

6 Likes

First half I wasn’t too upset. Started slow, but worked our way back into the game and had Stringer slotted that chance it would’ve been a 7-point game, instead it goes straight down the other end for a Tigers goal. Held firm until THAT free-kick against Hurls and from there it was one-way traffic. 2nd half was deplorable. Structurally we were all over the shop, Richmond held 3 defenders back every time yet we kept kicking it back at them. Didn’t we think to match them up and hold some forwards deep? The mistakes, overuse of handball, fumbling. The pressure applied to us was too much for us to be able to withstand. After positive strides the past 2 weeks this is a big step backwards.

Best for me was Bellchambers, absolutely dominant game in ruck. Some of his tapwork is as good as anything Ryder gave us in 2014. He’s having a great season. Stringer very encouraged with his game mainly in midfield with the ball he won. One thing he needs to do is stop being unselfish. You can kick it 65m. Just go back and have a shot when you’re at 50. Saad worked hard, Dea fought hard against the tidal wave of Tiger attacks. Langford did his bit too. But just not enough players who put in for 4 quarters.

13 Likes

fck my life

We were hanging on. (and getting the rough end of the stick), until we were broken.

This is about tonight, not the last decade.

They absolutely got critical decisions all night, until we were done.

7 Likes

I thought we we played pretty good, and the score is not indicative of the game IMO.

Essendon was mucked up on mistakes and missed goals. (Zaha out and razz was not quite the same)

Stringer and Stewart misses…

Guelfi spoil on Hurley!! (teammate spoil and tigers goal)

Martin free against hurley (another free goal)

Bad handpass by hurley (was kind of wishing ambrose was back)

Mkkernan didnt kick to the free man on the other side after a good mark…

Play on by Mkkernan… arnt richmond supposed to clear the mark? (i think it ended up a tigs goal)

Those were the ones when the game was in the balance… could have been a really exiting game if the score was closer…

Then the free to rance… ohhh myy… Jehova wont be happy with a liar, he will need to repent tonight.

There was a small period in the 3rd i think where we pressured… must have been 3 free not rewarded (langford pulled off the ball) and eventually despite all our hard work it ended up over the back and a tigers goal…

I felt the umpiring was below average tonight.

7 Likes

We are soft, we don’t want to hurt our opposition by impating contests and putting knees in their backs. McGrath needs to find a harder edge.

Adam Saad was immense and hard at it tonight but apart from that, we were meek.

4 Likes

Good teams don’t look for excuses, they just dig deep and win. You should follow their lead…

6 Likes

Yep, prob can’t blame Woosh for this, add to that Zaka out early and we probably needed the extra in the middle. Still robbing from elsewhere never good

Coaches ■■■■■■ me off letting rance or other tigers loose time and again.

We actually had some ok efforts
Stringer, saad, guelfi
Thought Laverde was good and used his muscle
Langford showed some in patches
Bellchambers was good again
Hooker went well down back
McgraTh has a good game in the middle.
Fantasia was good in spurts.
Tippa kicked some goals.
Mckernan was ok but he must’ve ■■■■■■ in the umpires bottles as they didn’t give him anything, probably deserved a couple of goals.

Baguley I question him as a forward again.
Hurley and Goddard were down and Ridley wasn’t great.

1 Like

They are a good team. I hate to say it.but Rance controls that.backline like a freak. They seem to have extra men out there.

We need another 5 hardish guys in our side. Id get Clarke back in to start with.

2 Likes

Thanks for the lecture.

You’re clearly so right. I don’t know what came over me.

6 Likes

Was the free for Rance against McKernan there? I know he milked the ■■■■ out of it but I’m genuinely curious as to whether it was a soft one or actually pretty blatant.

That would happen when you play 7 defenders against Essendon’s 5 forwards

1 Like

I’ve never understand the obsession with having a 13 or 14 to 12 numbers advantage in the middle, while being out numbered 2 or 3 to 1 up forward.

Reckon there always a net loss.

7 Likes

It was a 50-50. Not the worst tonight, but wouldn’t have been paid the other way

2 Likes

They don’t seem to have extra men back there. They do. They had two spare all night.

4 Likes

Everything else aside, structurally thats bot how they’ve set up the last 2 weeks.
They reverted back to what neeld got blamed foe.
Rance just stood in the center square by himself, and the had 2-3 loose players in the wall.

Our forwards were yet again all within 60 meters of richmonds goals.

Everything else aside, how can the coaches not see that as an issue and rectify it??

The rest , is just the same old stuff. 60 odd points is actually a good result, cos they shoule have beltrd us by 100 odd.

6 Likes