WTF is wrong with some teenagers?

Yeah, teenagers are the only people committing rapes like this.

Settle petal. No one has claimed they are.

thread title should read "WTF is wrong with rapists?"

Not that this makes what happend ok or make it the girls fault BUT what was a 14 year old girl doing walking around in the middle of the night in a well know dodgy area?

I don't get why woman in general still walk around at night, esp when having been drinking. Even Esp more since the jill meagher case.

Seriously guys? Women shouldn’t walk around at night?

Disappointed with some of the replies in this thread.

Why dafuq shouldn't girls/women be walking around at night? Especially in their local area! 

The Jill Meagher case was a tragic situation where a woman lost her life due to the judicial system giving that awful creep parole when he should already have been locked up for life. This does not mean that all women should be locked up at sundown and not allowed out again until it's "safe" to do so.

Absolutely horrible for the young girl in this case, but should we not be focusing attention on how a 16 year old boy thought this was an ok thing to do?

Hmmm… I wouldn’t let my 14yo daughter walk through a park by herself at 11pm, no.

Should I tell her “just walk home, it’s your right to walk home, don’t let the high level of crime deter you from your right, if you get raped it’s not your fault”?

And as for teenagers, when you say teenagers you think of innocent, wide eyed kids. There’s plenty of kids in Australia, especially in areas like Doonside that are not innocent, they have seen more than most of us here in their short lives.

This is a distressing event, I hope she gets through all of this as best as possible, that the perpetrators get punished and that it never happens again.

I’m at a music festival tonight and at a meet and greet an internationally known artist asks for the phone number of a 14 yr old girl. I know that he’s just humouring her because he’s not that kind of guy yet I am present when this girl full of youthful enthusiasm informs her parents. Dad immediately instructs said girl to return with “Dads” number for artist to call. An over reaction? Sure. But this is the sad reality parents face with the uncertainty of our modern environment.

Hmmm.... I wouldn't let my 14yo daughter walk through a park by herself at 11pm, no.
Should I tell her "just walk home, it's your right to walk home, don't let the high level of crime deter you from your right, if you get raped it's not your fault"?

It's got nothing to do with that. You have no idea why she was walking in the park. It's entirely possible she didn't want to be walking there, but felt she had no choice. This line of thought only goes to add further guilt to the victims of rape, it doesn't help anything.

Disappointed with some of the replies in this thread.

Why dafuq shouldn't girls/women be walking around at night? Especially in their local area! 

The Jill Meagher case was a tragic situation where a woman lost her life due to the judicial system giving that awful creep parole when he should already have been locked up for life. This does not mean that all women should be locked up at sundown and not allowed out again until it's "safe" to do so.

Absolutely horrible for the young girl in this case, but should we not be focusing attention on how a 16 year old boy thought this was an ok thing to do?

Hit the nail on the head. It is not about what the girl should or should not have been doing, it's about the education of the males.
Where do they learn such disdain for women? Why do they want to punish and degrade women? What in the collective psyche of young men prompts them to think pack rape is some sort of party trick?
Education, respect, and empathy are sorely needed.

While I agree it's no excuse, but surely everybody, male and female but probably more particularly female, should take a fair degree of care about where they go at night. It might not be a short cut if it's dark.

It's like swimming in an NT waterhole and not expecting crocodiles to attack you.

First of all, women know that they have to take extra care when walking alone, especially at night. It's drummed into us from a young age. We know. And it's not helpful to point out again and again at this point.

Secondly, I think comparing this to "swimming in a NT waterhole and not expecting crocodiles to attack you" is kind of gross. Swimming in a waterhole is not really an everyday necessity. Sometimes, for various reasons, I might have no choice but to walk around at night on my own. That's a pretty standard behaviour that a lot of men (not all) don't even think twice about, but every woman has to act like a potential rape victim and change their behaviour because someone might choose to violate their body and rape them.

I've always said that instead of women having to change their behaviour, every night at sundown, we should lock up the main perpetrators of rape i.e. men. Instead of women having to act like potential rape victims, let's just assume you're all potential rapists and you can be the ones having to change your behaviour for a while.

First of all, women know that they have to take extra care when walking alone, especially at night. It's drummed into us from a young age. We know. And it's not helpful to point out again and again at this point.

Secondly, I think comparing this to "swimming in a NT waterhole and not expecting crocodiles to attack you" is kind of gross. Swimming in a waterhole is not really an everyday necessity. Sometimes, for various reasons, I might have no choice but to walk around at night on my own. That's a pretty standard behaviour that a lot of men (not all) don't even think twice about, but every woman has to act like a potential rape victim and change their behaviour because someone might choose to violate their body and rape them.

I've always said that instead of women having to change their behaviour, every night at sundown, we should lock up the main perpetrators of rape i.e. men. Instead of women having to act like potential rape victims, let's just assume you're all potential rapists and you can be the ones having to change your behaviour for a while.

OK...I've heard some crap before but that's pretty crap. Change their behaviour = act sensibly.

You don't understand how changing our behaviour to 'avoid being raped' can be limiting and completely impractical?

And what about women who do everything they can to avoid being raped and still get raped?

Perfectly said. The fact that we are still having to fight this battle shows how little women have accomplished. Why should women have to change their behaviour and live in fear just because some men have no manners, no respect and believe violence and degradation are a way to demonstrate their prowess.
The solution is always going to be in the education of boys by men, not in restricting the freedom of women.

Still a stupid title for a rape by a teenager, from who knows what sort of African upbringing.  

Rapes are perpetrated by adults at a much higher rate.

More appropriate should be what's wrong with parents these days, they are the people supposed to be role models and nurture their children into solid teenagers and citizens.  Sadly rape is likely to happen by somebody known to the victim.

I was actually suggesting that everyone should temper their behaviour to avoid putting themselves in danger, regardless of whether it's being raped, mugged, beaten up whatever.

And going into environments where substances are taken to reduce inhibitions is one of them.

There are plenty of guys get beaten up by idiots full as a goog, and sometimes killed. Those same idiots are more likely to rape a girl than punch them. Same arguments would apply.

And that's ignoring the cultural issues imported here that say that raping girls is OK. Everyone seems to tread very carefully around mentioning that a lot of these crimes are imports committed against imports.

It's not just "men".

Right, only the coloureds rape. Glad we cleared that one up.

I don't personally know of any girl who has been raped by an "import". Know plenty who have been by good ol' local boys though.

Right, only the coloureds rape. Glad we cleared that one up.

I don't personally know of any girl who has been raped by an "import". Know plenty who have been by good ol' local boys though.

1. That's not what he said

2. You must move in interesting circles.

Male victims of assault rarely get the ‘why was he walking alone at night?’ treatment.

Male victims of assault rarely get the 'why was he walking alone at night?' treatment.

Nail. Head. Again. Not rarely either. Never.