Your Essendon Habits

Everything football related seems to have been pretty dull this pre season, sorry saga included so thought a change of pace wouldn’t hurt.

Curious as to other peoples Essendon related habits. I know there was a match day rituals thread not long ago so this could be similar, but anything else you do as well, put your membership sticker in the same place every year, watch old games, buy the next door neighbours kid a membership each year etc, interested to here it.

To give you an idea of what I mean I religiously walk via the surface at Windy Hill when walking home from the gym, just love the aura of the stands and wish I could have seen a game there. Also I regularly partake in a bit of guerrilla marketing at rebel sports etc, put all the Essendon stuff to the front to saturate the joint in red and black if there’s time to kill (snippet below). No idea why. Gives me a false sense of achievement as though I’ve contributed to our next premiership. Was spotted by a staff member covering a fark carlton jersey once and was met with a “thats a very good idea”

The ceremony of cut and polishing the car and placing the the new membership sticker on the back window happened today.

Nothing beats hanging your scarf out the window and tooting the horn on the drive home after a big win, and then giving the thumbs up to the car in the lane beside you that is doing the same thing.

Placing the brand new Essendon calender in the dunny at the start of every season is a ritual of mine and I thoroughly enjoy turning over the page every month and seeing the player who will have to tolerate my stench for the next month.

Other than that I throw things and swear a lot on match day but that is about it.

Heap of beer and a empty pocket on match day.

Used to be before a Saturday night match my dad, my mate and myself would go to a kebab joint in Thomastown before heading to the game.

before??

Of course. Something to build a good session on, and not lose your ■■■■ too early.

Thats a wise father.

Have I missed something here?

Grab my Essendon Stein glass. Fill it with Cider and drink it at halftime.

The old days were to wake up at eleven, breakfast and shower, then walk to the ground by 12.30 to see some of the Ressies.
Half a dozen hot jam donuts and a can of coke as soon as I got to the ground.
Pie at Half Time.
When young, get home in time to watch The Big Replay if we won.
When older, Social Club upstairs.
Always wear club colours, making sure to never wear opponents colours. ie no Navy Blue jocks against Carlton.
You might think “who would see them?” Please refer to line 5. You never knew your luck from one week to another in the Social Club.

These days.
Try and find the day games that I can actually watch. (Night games are the wrong time zone for Canada)
Get on the Torrent thread to make sure the stream is working
If a Night game, find out if we won, then download the game off illegal pirate websites because the AFL website coverage is rubbish.
If we lost, get on Blitz to see whether it was worth downloading.
If possible watch the game at the same time Pacific as it was on EST in Melbourne. EG 7.30 start I watch at 7.30pm Vancouver (19 hours later)

Other stuff.
Bombers Calendar on office wall first day of the working year.

I have a small patch of turf from each of Windy Hill and the MCG that I keep in my fridge in a small plastic container.

If we’re playing at home I put the Windy Hill one on the coffee table. If we’re playing away I put the MCG one.

I don’t have one from Docklands cos they can GAGF.

Quoted Post

I have a small patch of turf from each of Windy Hill and the MCG that I keep in my fridge in a small plastic container.

If we’re playing at home I put the Windy Hill one on the coffee table. If we’re playing away I put the MCG one.

I’ve never been more serious about anything in my life. Particularly not my finances, job prospects or personal hygeine.

Quoted Post

I've never been more serious about anything in my life. Particularly not my finances, job prospects or personal hygeine.

I’m picturing you removing a mouldy, saggy chunk of grass from your fridge while wearing a hazmat suit or something.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I've never been more serious about anything in my life. Particularly not my finances, job prospects or personal hygeine.

I’m picturing you removing a mouldy, saggy chunk of grass from your fridge while wearing a hazmat suit or something.

Once they dried out they remained relatively stable. No fungus to be found.

About 12 years old now. I no longer handle or rub my erogenous zones with them.

Quoted Post

Wow… thats serious ritual. Kinda funny… but I “dig” it. :slight_smile:

It helps a little with the physical disconnect that comes from being in Adelaide.

In 5 years living in Melbourne I missed only one game: The loss to the Bulldogs in 2000.

Quoted Post

Now that is a freakish awesome ritual.

When I was a kid I had Essendon footy socks, one pair with black feet and one pair with white. So for home games I would wear the black ones and for away games the white ones.

In fact, I am now descending in to OCD type panic as I’ve just remembered my fridge is still in the home of my (insert generically bitter adjective here) ex.

■■■■.

Oh dear … hopefully she’s not that nasty & twisted as to deliberately turf them.