Your favourite players

Over the years 1957 to today have seen some brilliant players for the Dons. In the '50s it was Reg Burgess and Johnny Birt, in the '60s Hugh Mitchell and David Shaw. In the '70s Graham Moss, Geoff Pryor. In the '80s Vander, Tim Watson.etc. You get my drift. But apart from the really gun players there where many that I loved to watch each week just because of who they were. Would love to hear your thoughts. Don Mc kenzie, Alec Epis, Nev Fields, all worth catching a Flemington Rd.Tram every Saturday.

Roaring Greg Brown fan here. I still remember those raking drop kicks from Full Back. And Russell Blew.

And David Grenvold.

And the list goes on really.

Alan noonan was a superstar was  my all time favourite by a mile.

Tim watson#2 he was the best player .

James Hird… Daylight.

Then, Scott Lucas, Jason Johnson, 10 Darren Bewick, Daisey Williams.

I was also a massive Scotty Cummings fan.

Lloyd, then it was Rioli, then it was Jetta (lol). Now DELL HOLE.

Scotty Lucas, then probably Hille.

Now it's Browne, hope he gets a spot in the best 22 next year.

Timmy Watson was mine. When he left I switched over to Chris Daniher. Then Watson came back. Then when he retired, I switched back over to Chris Daniher. When he was done, I really didn’t have a favourite until Blumfield was given Watson’s 32. When he was traded, I switched over to Danny Jacobs. When he left, I gave up bothering to have a favourite. If I had to choose one now, I’d probably lean towards Ben Howlett.

Longy by a mile, no one has grabbed since he retired. Whenever he got the ball, or near it, the crowd lifted. 93 GF sublime.

Harvs and the big fish were both up there, as was boris.

Probably Pig of the current crop.

Oh, and fletch.

Scotty Lucas, wheel onto the left within 70 and BOOM.

Before that it was always the big fish for me.

I must have been a fickle kid, because I reckon I chose a new number every time I grew out of a jumper.

5, 6, 18, 27. 32.

Loved 1 and 33 too, but don't think I ever got their number on the back.

More cultish players I loved as a kid were Budgie, Copping and Justin Madden.

As I got a little older, Merrett, Salmon, Thompson.

Then Bewick and Long.

Then Fletch, Lloyd and Hird.

Then Jobe and Reimers a little bit.

Plenty of great players not mentioned; Wanganeen, Mercuri, Lucas, Hardwick, Rioli, I could go on.

But those were the players that I took to heart.

Liked T Buhagiar, because he was from WA. And D Bewick, because I saw him when he played for Tuart Hill against my junior club The Cardies (clap clap) and he no bullsh*t marked his own kick. Twice. Plus his brother Corry was awesome. Loved Bill Duckworth because he came from West Perth. Also because he was a tough c*nt. Liked Leon Baker. The only non West Perth player to receive applause from the Unofficial West Perth Cheer Squad (clap clap). Liked Roger Merrett, because he was a tough c*nt.

loved Greg Anderson. that shimmy he did with the mullet, and the fact he wore number 11, reminded me of spinal tap everytime.

probably made one of the least successful career choices when he went home at the end of 92.

loved Greg Anderson. that shimmy he did with the mullet, and the fact he wore number 11, reminded me of spinal tap everytime.

probably made one of the least successful career choices when he went home at the end of 92.

He was Essendon's Mr Fixit there for a while. Played forward, back, midfield. Anywhere that was required.

You're right about screwing up at the end of '92 however, had he stayed, who would have missed out?

He was Essendon's Mr Fixit there for a while. Played forward, back, midfield. Anywhere that was required.

You're right about screwing up at the end of '92 however, had he stayed, who would have missed out?

bit pie in sky but they probably wouldn't have talked timmy into coming back for starters.

hills wouldn't have had as much opportunity so ill go with him.

Mercuri and Wanganeen.

Honestly not sure these days, prob Ryder.

Tim Watson was my first favourite. Then it was Lloyd. Current fave is Jobe, no suppress there. I doubt I’ll like anyone as much as I do him, especially after this year.

Special mention to Hird and Fletcher.

Neil Daniher and Geoff Blethyn

1: Paul Salmon- loved the guy. Was so glad when he came back in 2002, as it was the first chance i had actually got see him play in the Red & Black

2. Lloyd- just loved the guy and still do. Just so proffesional, so classy, loved him. His bump on Sewell, and how it turned the game on it's head is one of my favourite all time memories watching footy. Best hit of have seen on a football field, for half a second I legitimately thought he had killed him.

3. Hurley- tough, strong, agressive. Doesn't take a backwards step.

4. Hocking- tough as nails, great workhorse, always does the team thing. One of the only players at our club who will go out of his way to shepherd for a team mate.

I haven't ranked Fletch because he is too awesome to put a number next to.He is just a really nice guy, classy guy, and the best backman I have ever seen play the game.

Neil Daniher and Geoff Blethyn

Geoff Blethyn, now there was a real one out of the box. Slightly built, like Heppell, could mark like Howe, deadly kick and wore glasses. One of the few apart from Coleman to kick more than 100 goals in a year.

Have liked so many, that I cannot list them all, but will name a few.

Simon Madden, Tim Watson, Gavin Wanganeen, Terry Daniher  (my favourite captain), Billy Duckworth (that grin).

Jobe Watson (2nd favourite captain), Michael Hibberd, Dyson Heppell.