Your favourite players

My first favourite player was (you guessed it) Ian Shelton.

Since then I haven’t often had a favourite player because I follow the team, not individuals. I did like Geoff Blethyn for a long time because he was so skilful and clever in a pretty hopeless team, and then recently I had a definite favourite in Scott Lucas. I loved how he played the game, always trying, never complaining, the absolute no bullshit, give 100% player.

Longy by a mile, no one has grabbed since he retired. Whenever he got the ball, or near it, the crowd lifted. 93 GF sublime.
Harvs and the big fish were both up there, as was boris.
Probably Pig of the current crop.
Oh, and fletch.

He is also one of the few players that could pull off harlem globetrotter moves like nobody else I've ever seen in the AFL.

But it has to be Hird or Bewick for me. Absolute magicians.

ken roberts attitude

vanda speccies

timmy jump 

the list goes on

Barry Davis- great skills and endurance.

Ron Andrews- a fearless player who inspired his team mates, would be rubbed out nowadays.

Simon Madden- greatest ruckman/forward ever.  

Paul Van Der Haar- a big mark, long kicking star who heralded the Baby Bombers and pointed to a future when we would be great.

Tim Watson- champion.

James Hird- best footballer I have ever seen.

Also had a soft spot for the big rhino.

1 Like

Favourite players, so many.

Loved Hardwick and Solly. Also Misiti and Mercs.

Big fan of Lucas too but overall favourite was probably Solly.

Terry Daniher.  He'd always have a chat with my mate and I after we had begged/sneaked/bluffed our way into the rooms after games at Windy Hill when we were kids.  We'd follow him around like puppies.  Loved the way he played the game as well.  Champion player and wonderful bloke.

Had a soft spot for Brad Plain after I watched him kick 8 or so goals one time in a reserves game and he spent quite a bit of time chatting with a group of us in the rooms later after the seniors game, even joking that he fluked all but one of the goals!  Pity injury wrecked him.  Had quite a bit of talent and was a match winner.  

On the current list, Jobe is the obvious stand out, but I have had a couple of opportunities to interact with Jake Carlisle and he is a real character. I think he will end up a Bomber great and I can definitely see him being a favourite of mine for years to come.  Reckon, he has a bit of Daniher in him in his playing and also in his personality.  

No one will replace TD though.

I had number 10 on my first jumper for Alan Noonan and also had a lot of respect for Gary Foulds as he came from my junior club (West Essendon)

Loved Ronnie Andrews, especially during the 70s when we were ■■■■...he just never took a backward step.

TD, Tim Watson (of course) and Merv Neagle from the glory years.

Hird, Long and Joe Misiti from the baby bombers of the 90's and then add Scotty Lucas to the super team.

Of the current crop, I love to way Heppell goes about his stuff and of course Jobe.

For me:

Long

Vanders

Merve

Both Watsons

Duckworth

Hardwick

Kickett

Lucas

TD

Bewick

All for various reasons. From the current crop:

Fletcher - legend!

Howlett

Carslile

Heppell

Pig.

I had number 10 on my first jumper for Alan Noonan and also had a lot of respect for Gary Foulds as he came from my junior club (West Essendon)

Loved Ronnie Andrews, especially during the 70s when we were ****...he just never took a backward step.

TD, Tim Watson (of course) and Merv Neagle from the glory years.

Hird, Long and Joe Misiti from the baby bombers of the 90's and then add Scotty Lucas to the super team.

Of the current crop, I love to way Heppell goes about his stuff and of course Jobe.

I also played for the Mini Jets.
Memory serves me Fould's brother Martin also played for West Essendon.

Mercuri was mine. Guys like Handwick & Rioli were up there too but Mercs was always my number 1!

My number one wore number 1.

Neville Fields.

Started watching the Bombers in '72 and he won the B&F that year.

Loved him.

Scotty Lucas. 

In chronological-ish order

- Salmon (the man responsible for me being a bombers fan)

- Bewick

- Lucas

- Ryder

- Watson

How come people keeping referring to Bewick as "10"?

- Bewick

- Lucas

- Ryder

- Watson

Because the answer to question No.10 is always Darren Bewick.

- Bewick

- Lucas

- Ryder

- Watson

CJ used to do a quiz and one day the answer to question #10 was Darren Bewick.

However, everyone knew that answer and in the space of about 5 seconds a lot (easily more than 10) said:

10. D Bewick

Then it just caught on from there.

Cheers guys :)

Ted Fordham played in the sixties. John Coleman moved him to the forward line during the '64 season and he kicked 7 goals in the '65 grand final against St Kilda. A true star was Teddy Fordham.

Watched an ANZAC 09 clip again the other day.
Lovett was so so so good. Since his first ANZAC Day I was a massive fan, really wish he was still around. If only we had the coaches to guide him post Sheeds.
Was also a big fan of Atkinson from that era.

Forgot the nimble young tank (also forgotten who christened him thus, but the description stayed with me), Moorcroft.

Loved him for more than just that mark.