Your preference for pick 1

It’s just jackets being jackets, all said with tongue in cheek… Will bid for Setterfield and if it’s matched take Clug.

Listened to the Dodoro interview. It does strongly give the impression that we will take McGrath. Even ignoring the part where Berry mentions McGrath and Dodoro says we think he is the best (whether he is talking about McGrath or another option is not crystal clear). He talks about the fact that the player they chose is a leader and can lead the football club similar to Hodge.

I’m 99% certain we are picking Andrew McGrath.

I’ve been meaning to point out that something in the way he moves reminds me of Hodge but I thought that’d sound lame - especially if we didn’t pick him.

But now that he’s ours. Yes he reminds me of Hodge.

He doesn’t seem flakey. Not sure I like flakey at No1. I want a dead set certainty to be good and consistent and strong.

He’s still 6 hours away from being ‘ours’, and even then it may not happen.

Hodge and Judd are tall but McG is one seriously driven individual who will inspire others in an overtly/dynamic way

Quality young man We think he can slot in to the side from round 1 Just a natural footballer Takes the game on

That sounds like McCluggage … natural footballer

We haven’t had enough Andys over the journey.
We need players with sensible names like Andy and David.
It’s the next best thing to a sensible haircut.

McGrath is very good and could be the best in the draft but we need a player with a natural goal sense and that is why I believe Hugh is best for us. I’m sure I will be disappointed by night’s end.

Prepare to be dissapointed then.

As to the leadership thing, well it may be different in various schools but my sons went to a well known private school. The Head boy / School Captain was “selected” by the Principal. During the course of Year 12 in one year, the principal had talked up the qualities and exploits of the Head Boy to such an extent, I am fairly sure almost all the students were sick of hearing about him. Not the kids fault actually, but to this day, I still dont know if he is actually a leader or just good academically ( there is not dispute about this) and in some areas of sport as well as being the son of one of the senior teachers.

Check your e-mails. That last quote. We’re going with McGrath.

The outstanding footy player at our school at the age of 18 was "head boy" (called them "prefects" in those days) physically precocious ( mans body) at 18, good at all sports played centre for the school footy team then tried out for StKilda Under 19s in 1967 . Played 2 games. Not good enough. The surprise package was the slow to mature kid in the forward line who went on to play over 200 games at AFL level kicked over 250 goals, spent a couple of years in the backline and played full forward in a premiership team. Just sayin.

The ‘ready made’ v ‘potential argument’ is an interesting one and it is my biggest worry with McGrath as well; is he really that quick compared to other elite athletes? There have been a handful of ‘ready made’ busts over the past decade, with Rhys Palmer being the poster boy for a first year jet turning out to be a pretty mediocre player over the journey. On the flip side, there have been plenty of ‘ready made’ players who had great first years and then kept developing (Joel Selwood and Dustin Martin probably the best examples). The thing I liked most about McGrath in those highlights was his sheer competitiveness - it reminded me of Zerrett, some people just live for the contest. I really don’t think we can go wrong with him.

That said, I will not be unhappy if we take McCluggage. The only thing that would perturb me is if we took the risk on Settersfield.

All the phantom drafts seem to have us going McGrath :/.

Check your e-mails. That last quote. We're going with McGrath.

Yeah.

lol at how bored everybody looked in that meeting.

Totally. Especially with the quote on the video “fascinated by ball movement and his early and quick decison(sic) making” compared with the radio interview quotes.

I feel like GSW are sucker punching is coz they really want McCluggage

GWS have been pumping up McGrath’s tires all year so McCluggage gets through.

Surely he cops the nickname ‘Roger’ or ‘Ramjet’

I think McQuade implied it earlier, but FFS the “leadership” of Private School kids has to be one of the most overrated things ever.

This is not a comment on McGrath, as how would I know, but a general comment on Private Schools and the perceptions that are reinforced over and over in this society.

Just because someone was a “BGS Boy” does not make them inherently any more of a leader or a more worthy member of society than someone who went to (insert name of some state high school that people think is not great quality). Being a “prefect” at one of these schools generally is helped a lot by performance in sports/academics/music/drama that gets noticed. And then it becomes self fulfilling. But the thing is this “leadership” is based on perceptions of the 15 and 16yo version of the person, and is not in any way related to what the person may be at 23 or 50.

Yet our society seems to put the fact that someone was well respected at a “prestigious” private school on a pedestal.

It’s complete rubbish.

Now McGrath may be a fantastic leader (he certainly seems to have a bunch of the qualities), and he may grow into a great leader, but the amount of “Captain of BGS” stuff is off the chart. (and forgetting the BGS “issues” this year hey…)

Judge the person, not the title.

(and really, let’s judge the footballer)

Totally. Especially with the quote on the video “fascinated by ball movement and his early and quick decison(sic) making” compared with the radio interview quotes.

Although re-watching it, that quote “he quite possible in 5 years time… could be the best player in this draft pool” , kind of makes me think they’re throwing in quotes on all 3 players and not just who we will pick.

All the phantom drafts seem to have us going McGrath :/.

Hope it turns out that way.

Don’t have email access right now - what does it say?

I think McQuade implied it earlier, but FFS the "leadership" of Private School kids has to be one of the most overrated things ever.

This is not a comment on McGrath, as how would I know, but a general comment on Private Schools and the perceptions that are reinforced over and over in this society.

Just because someone was a “BGS Boy” does not make them inherently any more of a leader or a more worthy member of society than someone who went to (insert name of some state high school that people think is not great quality). Being a “prefect” at one of these schools generally is helped a lot by performance in sports/academics/music/drama that gets noticed. And then it becomes self fulfilling. But the thing is this “leadership” is based on perceptions of the 15 and 16yo version of the person, and is not in any way related to what the person may be at 23 or 50.

Yet our society seems to put the fact that someone was well respected at a “prestigious” private school on a pedestal.

It’s complete rubbish.

Now McGrath may be a fantastic leader (he certainly seems to have a bunch of the qualities), and he may grow into a great leader, but the amount of “Captain of BGS” stuff is off the chart. (and forgetting the BGS “issues” this year hey…)

Judge the person, not the title.

(and really, let’s judge the footballer)

Can somebody from Brighton Grammar School please translate this for me into the Queen’s English?