Your preference for pick 1

I think McQuade implied it earlier, but FFS the "leadership" of Private School kids has to be one of the most overrated things ever.

This is not a comment on McGrath, as how would I know, but a general comment on Private Schools and the perceptions that are reinforced over and over in this society.

Just because someone was a “BGS Boy” does not make them inherently any more of a leader or a more worthy member of society than someone who went to (insert name of some state high school that people think is not great quality). Being a “prefect” at one of these schools generally is helped a lot by performance in sports/academics/music/drama that gets noticed. And then it becomes self fulfilling. But the thing is this “leadership” is based on perceptions of the 15 and 16yo version of the person, and is not in any way related to what the person may be at 23 or 50.

Yet our society seems to put the fact that someone was well respected at a “prestigious” private school on a pedestal.

It’s complete rubbish.

Now McGrath may be a fantastic leader (he certainly seems to have a bunch of the qualities), and he may grow into a great leader, but the amount of “Captain of BGS” stuff is off the chart. (and forgetting the BGS “issues” this year hey…)

Judge the person, not the title.

(and really, let’s judge the footballer)

Does being a good leader at TAC or for Vic Metro count for anything?

I think McQuade implied it earlier, but FFS the "leadership" of Private School kids has to be one of the most overrated things ever.

This is not a comment on McGrath, as how would I know, but a general comment on Private Schools and the perceptions that are reinforced over and over in this society.

Just because someone was a “BGS Boy” does not make them inherently any more of a leader or a more worthy member of society than someone who went to (insert name of some state high school that people think is not great quality). Being a “prefect” at one of these schools generally is helped a lot by performance in sports/academics/music/drama that gets noticed. And then it becomes self fulfilling. But the thing is this “leadership” is based on perceptions of the 15 and 16yo version of the person, and is not in any way related to what the person may be at 23 or 50.

Yet our society seems to put the fact that someone was well respected at a “prestigious” private school on a pedestal.

It’s complete rubbish.

Now McGrath may be a fantastic leader (he certainly seems to have a bunch of the qualities), and he may grow into a great leader, but the amount of “Captain of BGS” stuff is off the chart. (and forgetting the BGS “issues” this year hey…)

Can somebody from Brighton Grammar School please translate this for me into the Queen’s English?

Ha!

Needs to be CLUGG.

Check your e-mails. That last quote. We're going with McGrath.

Don’t have email access right now - what does it say?

“And what he has got is what’s between his ears… that you don’t measure… it is elite”
I don’t know how we know it’s elite if we don’t measure it, but that’s a question of semantics I suppose.

Still could be any of the 3. Im not reading much into anything I have heard, and as for our needs, they all offer things we need.

does connors manage any of Clug, McGrath or Setterfield?

Yes, McGrath

It’s over. McGrath has been picture in Essendon gear.

Yes, McGrath

oh no.

Get Rodski to give Connors a Bomber top asap- that will make him friends with us

Ainsworth and McGrath I Believe

I still remember someone (don’t worry - I know who it was) trying to read things into statements made by the club when Jobe was appointed captain. He was convinced that the words they used meant he was only getting the gig for one year.

Message is…don’t over-analyse club statements. They’re so sanitised you rarely can draw conclusions.

You take the best player right now. McGrath is the no risk pick. You dont want to end up with Aaron Fiora or back in 2009 when people thought Martin didnt have enough upside so the went for those with more improvement left in him.

McGrath can walk in and be a good player in his first year, he has upside and improvement. Just being the safe option doesnt make it the wrong one.

Consensus draft from hurlingpeoplenow

I thought that “leadership” potential in AFL meant the the kid has a bit more than half a brain and can express some ideas and feelings with words, unlike most normal laconic teenage boys why can only just articulate “yeah”, “nah”, “not much” and “yeah alright”.

I thought that "leadership" potential in AFL meant the the kid has a bit more than half a brain and can express some ideas and feelings with words, unlike most normal laconic teenage boys why can only just articulate "yeah", "nah", "not much" and "yeah alright".

Whatever! Or is that just girls?

It’s complete rubbish.

Don’t agree with that at all. If he was his school captain he must have some sort of leadership qualities. I think his leadership “runs on the board” have extended beyond school too.

Consensus draft from hurlingpeoplenow

https://hurlingpeoplenow.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/cpdfinal.jpg?w=656

I would lose my mind if we got McGrath and SPS!
You take the best player right now. McGrath is the no risk pick. You dont want to end up with Aaron Fiora or back in 2009 when people thought Martin didnt have enough upside so the went for those with more improvement left in him.

McGrath can walk in and be a good player in his first year, he has upside and improvement. Just being the safe option doesnt make it the wrong one.

I think he is the best of the 3 (not by much) but fail to see that he has any less upside then McC, Both have just as much potential, with McG been the more flexible of the two position wise at this early stage, but who knows latter on.

On the flip side I think McC’s game will translate just as well as McG’s as a first year player. I know he is not as physically ready, but he is more of an outside player who’s reading of the play and the game will have him in good stead immediately.

I think McGrath is the lowest risk pick. I also don’t think he’s the best player right now.

i still remember Lee thinking that a journo was bagging out Lloyd when they wrote that he retired ‘nominally in disgrace’ for his hit on Sewell. Lee just didnt understand the word nominally, poor guy.