4. The Drones - The Millers Daughter
  5. Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
  6. Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
  7. Radio birdman - Radios appear
  8. Dinosaur Jnr- where you been
  9. The Bronx - Bronx 1
  10. You am I - Deliverance
2 Likes

Damn, l knew there was one l would forget.
Paris 1919 - John Cale. Only short but totally gorgeous and lush, the effect is still haunting decades later.

If Electric Ladyland was a single album, it would be in here as well somewhere.

The Cale is possibly my favourite of all time, at least vying strongly. Strange dream of a record.

1 Like

U2 - Joshua Tree
Dire Straights - Communique
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Beatles - White Album
Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Led Zeppelin - IV
Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
AC/DC - Highway To Hell

It could change on a daily basis but there’s a handful of lock-ins and sentimental nods.

In no particular order…

Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller (beautiful, super atmospheric, gave me solace during a period of isolation and suited my mood)

The Blackbyrds - City Life (has my most favourite song in the world)

Oval - Diskont (bought on a bit of a whim 20 years ago and it still feels the same every listen as to when I bought it. All those Glitch styles that have become popular in the past few years, well this is the guy who pioneered all that and this is his second album)

Lord Finesse - The Awakening (he’s an idol and this is peak 90’s)

Ween - The Pod (got me through art school)

Pink Floyd - Animals (in the 90’s used to smash a lot of Championship Manager 93 on my Amiga 500 and rotate this album)

Spermbirds - Something to Prove (teenage punk days, underrated Reagan era punk)

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (the day I broke up with my first proper girlfriend, we were gutted but I bought this and it reintroduced hip hop into my life)

Nirvana - Bleach (used to smoke a ton of weed in Dicko’s garage aged 15 cos his Mum had a dayjob and no husband. Dicko would play The Doors, when it was my turn I’d play this)

MF DOOM - mmm Food (the avatar, all killer no filler, all caps)

Didn’t manage to squeeze in Boards of Canada’s masterpiece Geogaddi.

3 Likes

Good to see High Violet get a run. I hadn’t heard the album when I compiled my list but a nice musical change up.

Yeah that live Built to Spill is great.

This Heat are post-punk with a strong krautrock influence, more on the experimental side of things than dancier stuff like Gang Of Four or PiL. Deceit is brilliant from start to finish.

2 Likes

Had me with the first two. Excellent. Have been close to starting a Ween thread a few times.

1 Like

Spermbirds! I love that album, skatepunk at its finest.

Helmet - Betty, pushes its way into mine, at the expense of, Cult - Electric.

Such a time and place.

I know why it’s a deserted island.

6 Likes

Coz everyone gets bent while listening to Ween, … then tops themselves listening to Radiohead during the come down??

1 Like

Allmusic described it as Brittle Fractured Ramshackle Cerebral Confrontational Fiery Indulgent Messy Rambunctious Visceral. No Spotify but caught a listen on Youtube and Allmusic weren’t too wide of the mark. My wife would throw a shoe through my speakers if I played this in her company but one that’s a trip on headphones. I can hear some Can in there but it reminded me also at times of the best Models album, Local & or General. One to spend some time with. One I overlooked The Wedding Present - Bizarro.

1 Like

Oh man, I’m bummed cos The Wedding Present are touring here in Japan soon but playing Tokyo only (I’m in Osaka). I saw them 10 or so years back in Prague, it went off. I could picture myself shaking the life out of a coconut tree on that deserted island while Brassneck blasts on my portable turntable.

I found this extremely hard as I have over 1800 albums in my collection and I listen to a LOT of music…
However I managed to bring the list down to 25 and still many classics missed out.

Alice in Chains - Unplugged
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
The Beatles - Help! (Hard to pick just one Beatles record)
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
La Dispute - Wildlife
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Low - I Could Live in Hope
Mac DeMarco - 2
Mark Lanegan - Field Songs
Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
Mississippi John Hurt - Today!
The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas
Nas - Illmatic
O.C. - Word…Life
Portishead - Dummy
Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers
Rodriguez - Cold Fact
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Steely Dan - Aja
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

1 Like

Now that’s just cheating but OC Word Life and Steely Dan Aja means you can have em by me.

I’d have put one of Royal Scam or maybe Gaucho though on another day but forgot.

That’s also my favourite Elliott Smith album, Between the Bars is an amazing song. Great eclectic list. I lived in Beijing for 12 years and there used to be an amazing electronics market full of incredibly random stuff (including t old movie projectors from scrapped/refurbished 747’s) There were a number of stalls there that had boxes upon boxes of CDs that had been drilled conveniently missing the CD. You could pick up some fantastic stuff for a buck or 2. I grabbed a lot of Mountain Goats there but not the one you mentioned so I’ll need to track it down. They also had a ton of stuff with JB Hi Fi stickers all over them surprisingly.

China is an absolute headtrip. I played in a band there for a number of years and at one stage we ended up supporting Soundtrack of our Lives in a bar inside the only Drive In theatre in the city, at a prawn festival, in a government park as part of a Swedish national promotion (though none of us were Swedish) as well as a punk bar built into the wall of the forbidden city that held at most 8 people. Brilliant fun.

2 Likes

You’ve got it the wrong way around. The reason for the selection, is because it’s a deserted island. No need to gives toss whether anyone else will like it.