Yr Favourite Sporting Moments

Bombers winning another premiership before I cark it or I'm too senile to notice. Get a move on Dons..

Freese's home run, 2011 World Series, Game 6.

All the more bittersweet considering his performance in the most recent one.

im not much of a cricket fan, but Bevan with a four off the last ball to beat the Windies in 96 (after the Aussies slumped to 6/38!)

back when people actually took interest in the one dayers.

Already mentioned but Perkins in Atlanta. Barely qualified for the final and was in horrible form. I remember almost being to scared to watch it as a kid as I did not want to see a champion get smashed. By the end of the first lap the race was over.

The other one for me is Mears smashing Pendleton in London. She didn’t just beat her she destroyed her mentally that day and did it in front of a hostile crowd.

Steve Bradbury winning gold at Salt Lake City was pretty impressive.

had to win a heat, a qtr final, semi final and a final. on the way beating the reigning world champ, the reigning olympic champ, and various other medalists.

first person outside of the northern hemisphere to win a gold at a winter olympics.

Already mentioned but Perkins in Atlanta. Barely qualified for the final and was in horrible form. I remember almost being to scared to watch it as a kid as I did not want to see a champion get smashed.

Anyone who watched that swim is a ■■■■■■.

I listened to it at Punt Road as our reserves played Richmond, before the main game at the MCG. My outrage above may be neutered by the fact I can't remember who won the reserves game. I just remember hating that era as the people who watched the reserves didn't get the best seats at the MCG.

Already mentioned but Perkins in Atlanta. Barely qualified for the final and was in horrible form. I remember almost being to scared to watch it as a kid as I did not want to see a champion get smashed.

I listened to it at Punt Road as our reserves played Richmond, before the main game at the MCG.

I was twelve and living in rural Tasmania

I listened to it at Punt Road as our reserves played Richmond, before the main game at the MCG.

I was twelve and living in rural Tasmania
OK… you've suffered enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWc0O08lhmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zYaMf0AS0

Cadel Evan's rides in the 18th, 19th, and 20th stages to win the  2011 Tour de France.

Virtually unsupported, chasing Andy Schleck and Contador through the Alps. He put in superhuman efforts to stay in touch with the leaders in the 18th and 19th stages, and I was afraid that he might have pushed himself too hard, and be unable to make up the time he needed against Schelck in the time trial. But he came out and crushed it. One more amazing effort to take second in the stage, and year the yellow jersey into Paris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXV68wJw1Gc

Andrew Lloyd had been involved in a car accident in which he was badly injured and his wife died.

It was seen as a miracle that he got into the Commonwealth Games team.

In the 5000, he was up again John Ngugi, who was later accused of being a drug cheat was the Olympic Gold medalist two years earlier.

Also in the field was world record holder Ondieki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQt0eTknxY

Yeah, Andrew Lloyd sticks in the memory. It's not every day a World War Two POW beats the field.

Cadel Evan's rides in the 18th, 19th, and 20th stages to win the  2011 Tour de France.

Virtually unsupported, chasing Andy Schleck and Contador through the Alps. He put in superhuman efforts to stay in touch with the leaders in the 18th and 19th stages, and I was afraid that he might have pushed himself too hard, and be unable to make up the time he needed against Schelck in the time trial. But he came out and crushed it. One more amazing effort to take second in the stage, and year the yellow jersey into Paris.

This. Absolutely amazing. The great man will be TDU this year... 

Doesn't that performance bring the drug question with it?

Who are we as Essendon supporters to doubt whether Cadel was clean? His effort on stage 19 to Alpe d'Huez was one of the most gripping nights viewing. Never been more proud of an Aussie.

Sorry Matt. Just curious. I really have no opinion.

As for pics, just cut and paste the url into the image box (icon 11, after the bolding etc, on the bottom toolbar when you are replying) and it should happen.

Virtually unsupported, chasing Andy Schleck and Contador through the Alps. He put in superhuman efforts to stay in touch with the leaders in the 18th and 19th stages, and I was afraid that he might have pushed himself too hard, and be unable to make up the time he needed against Schelck in the time trial. But then the gear kicked in and he came out and crushed it. One more amazing effort to take second in the stage, and year the yellow jersey into Paris.

edited for the fictional-truth.

For what it's worth, I believe he's one of the few riders who is clean. Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but there's a lot of evidence in his favour.

Probably the most compelling is that guys like Tyler Hamilton, and George Hincapie, who both helped blow the whistle on Lance Armstrong have both stated publicly that he's clean.

It's also worth noting that overall, the times in the 2011 Tour were significantly slower than the times in 2010, which was the Tour where Contador had his win stripped after a positive test.
Additionally, he has always been a freak athlete. The first time I remember taking notice of him was when he was 16, and racing in the national MTB championships in Canberra. Despite still being a kid, he was lapping faster than the pro-men. When he went to the AIS, his test results were off the charts. I forget the exact details, but essentially he was as well, or better, than most riders would if they were doping. This was long before he switched over to road racing.

Finally, the public perception has always been (generally) that he's clean. I know that it doesn't count for much, but it was for example pretty common knowledge that Armstrong was doping long before he was found guilty.

And at the end of the day, even if he was doping, that was still an amazing three days of riding.

Who are we as Essendon supporters to doubt whether Cadel was clean? His effort on stage 19 to Alpe d'Huez was one of the most gripping nights viewing. Never been more proud of an Aussie.

The best stage was the Galibier when Evans had to ride down Schleck to have a chance to win.  Did the whole climb on his own, with wheel-leeches like Voekler offering no help at all.  The cycling thread on old-Blitz was a fantastic read to follow the emotional roller-coaster of Blitzers who were watching and posting at the time. That whole TDF was a ripper (unlike the last couple of yawn-fests).

For what it's worth, I believe he's one of the few riders who is clean. Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but there's a lot of evidence in his favour.

Probably the most compelling is that guys like Tyler Hamilton, and George Hincapie, who both helped blow the whistle on Lance Armstrong have both stated publicly that he's clean.

It's also worth noting that overall, the times in the 2011 Tour were significantly slower than the times in 2010, which was the Tour where Contador had his win stripped after a positive test.
Additionally, he has always been a freak athlete. The first time I remember taking notice of him was when he was 16, and racing in the national MTB championships in Canberra. Despite still being a kid, he was lapping faster than the pro-men. When he went to the AIS, his test results were off the charts. I forget the exact details, but essentially he was as well, or better, than most riders would if they were doping. This was long before he switched over to road racing.

Finally, the public perception has always been (generally) that he's clean. I know that it doesn't count for much, but it was for example pretty common knowledge that Armstrong was doping long before he was found guilty.

And at the end of the day, even if he was doping, that was still an amazing three days of riding.

A good mate of mine at school won the national downhill MTB champs one year and got to go to Vail for the World champs.  When I congratulated him on winning the nationals, he laughed and said "I only won because Cadel Evans got a puncture!".