#7 Zerrett in the beginning

Do wonder if he'll keep polling so well with Heppell back.

Yeah, I think we’re missing the fact that players like Bont are surrounded by guys nicking votes off him left right and centre. Dogs had a good spread, as did GWS, reckon Zach wouldn’t mind sharing the love next year. Not to detract from a stunning FU to the AA ‘selectors’

Players in the winning team tend to pick up two or three of the three votes especially in a dominant win.

deleted

It is interesting to look at which type of “midfielder” wins the most Brownlows.

The classic rover, is a fast runner, a “follower”, who spends vast amounts of energy runs 18+km in a game and is everywhere from 0 metres out to mopping up in defence. Thats the role Zerret was playing. He even won best defensive player at the Crichton. Dangerfield is also a “rover”.
Or the ruck rover, ( follower) “big bodied mid” in current parlance this is a Jobe / Bontempelli sized body that just cannot run at the speeds of a Zerret / Dangerfield for a whole game, but has the power to beat bigger opponents and bust out of packs. Or the classic “centre” player who in the classic game was more the architect or “playmaker” at the hub of the wheel. Bontempelli and Zerret are different types of players. Bontempelli much slower, much less energetic, and because he is slower, appears to have “poise” and dramatically “beats his man” Bontempelli is certainly not a “rover” in the classic sense, more the ruck rover/ centreman.

I believe rover type players win more Brownlows. This puts Zerret and in the medium term Parish who is also a “rover” type player into the frame over and above Hepp. Happy whoever wins it. Thats just the way I see the most likely of our current players to win the Brownlow in the years ahead.

And someone saw it early on in Junior’s game — so they gave him Billy Hutchison’s number 7…

Yeah, I think we’re missing the fact that players like Bont are surrounded by guys nicking votes off him left right and centre. Dogs had a good spread, as did GWS, reckon Zach wouldn’t mind sharing the love next year. Not to detract from a stunning FU to the AA ‘selectors’

Players in the winning team tend to pick up two or three of the three votes especially in a dominant win.

I made this to show your point.

Footy is a simple game, so “See ball get ball” becomes , “See graph, ignore graph”.

I made this to show your point.

Footy is a simple game, so “See ball get ball” becomes , “See graph, ignore graph”.

Point taken.

The fact the umpires saw him this year indicates to me theyre only going to notice him more next year

He will average 30 again but will kick 20 goals as well next season.

Those numbers in a team that wins 12+ games will have him right up there on Brownlow night.

So lid off on this kid, The league needs a new Ablett, This is the kid.

deleted

Boo. Don't delete the graph!

To be up there with Nick Reiwoldt and Robbie Gray Zerrett is a Class A ■■■■, and we have him for the next 5 seasons.

19 votes!

Yeah but the Bont got 20. I mean 20 votes. How good is the Bont! No other young player is anywhere near as good as the Bont. The Bont is streets ahead.

Bont is an absolute champion of the game. Between him, Zerrett and Cripps (18 votes) we should feel very privileged to be about to watch these 3 20 year olds

Agree, but its pretty obvious Fairbread is talking about the massive hype that surrounds Bontempelli, while Zerret is virtually un recognised outside our club.
Part of the hype thing is having been seen to “impose himself on the game” at key moments. Bontempelli had many more opportunities to do that given the team he played in.

Yep, results matter. We win that St kilda game where zerret put us in front with a left foot snap people start talking about him as a ‘match winner’.

It is interesting to look at which type of “midfielder” wins the most Brownlows.

The classic rover, is a fast runner, a “follower”, who spends vast amounts of energy runs 18+km in a game and is everywhere from 0 metres out to mopping up in defence. Thats the role Zerret was playing. He even won best defensive player at the Crichton. Dangerfield is also a “rover”.
Or the ruck rover, ( follower) “big bodied mid” in current parlance this is a Jobe / Bontempelli sized body that just cannot run at the speeds of a Zerret / Dangerfield for a whole game, but has the power to beat bigger opponents and bust out of packs. Or the classic “centre” player who in the classic game was more the architect or “playmaker” at the hub of the wheel. Bontempelli and Zerret are different types of players. Bontempelli much slower, much less energetic, and because he is slower, appears to have “poise” and dramatically “beats his man” Bontempelli is certainly not a “rover” in the classic sense, more the ruck rover/ centreman.

I believe rover type players win more Brownlows. This puts Zerret and in the medium term Parish who is also a “rover” type player into the frame over and above Hepp. Happy whoever wins it. Thats just the way I see the most likely of our current players to win the Brownlow in the years ahead.

Not sure about this.

Fyfe, Priddis, Watson are all “Centreman” “Ruck Rover” types - and they have won 3 of the past 5 brownlows

19 votes in that season is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

I’m surprised the whole team polled 19 votes for the year.

What a friggin gun, and as others have mentioned, Zerrett, Bont, Cripps… It’s an impressive draft that one. Especially when Rory Lobbe and Josh Kelly aren’t even in this discussion.

19 votes in that season is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

I’m surprised the whole team polled 19 votes for the year.

What a friggin gun, and as others have mentioned, Zerrett, Bont, Cripps… It’s an impressive draft that one. Especially when Rory Lobbe and Josh Kelly aren’t even in this discussion.

Very true, fantastic draft class.

On a side note, I think Jack Billings will go on to be a fine player in his own right but can you imagine the tears on here if we had pick 3 as St Kilda did and picked Billings one spot ahead of THE BONT given how they have gone up until now hahaha.

Billings will be a gun bring him to a club that can develop players

From the EFC website.
Well done Zach.

Zach Merrett’s Brownlow Medal performance saw him join elite company.

The Essendon best and fairest winner polled 19 votes.

Only two players, Gary Ablett Jnr and Nathan Buckley, in the past 20 years have polled more votes in the side that finished last on the ladder.

Four years after the Pies finished last Buckley went on to win the Brownlow Medal and Ablett currently has two Brownlow medals to his name.

The Bombers won three games this season. Merrett was voted best on ground in two of those games and picked up two votes in the final victory of the season against Carlton.

Gold Coast also won three games when Ablett polled 23 votes in 2011 and Buckley’s Magpies won four games in 1999.

Most votes by a player from wooden spoon side (Last 20 years)

2016 – Zach Merrett (Ess) 19

2015 – Marc Murphy (Carl) 12

2014 – Nick Riewoldt (St K) 11

2013 – Jeremy Cameron (GWS) 6

2012 – Jonathan Giles (GWS) 7

2011 – Gary Ablett (GC) 23

2010 – Matt Priddis (WC) 13

2009 – Aaron Dvey (Melb) 6

2008 – Paul Wheatley (Melb) 5

2007 – Matthew Richardson (Rich) 6

2006 – Heath Scotland (Carl) 6

2005 – Nick Stevens (Carl) 11

2004 – Matthew Richardson (Rich) 10

2003 – Luke Darcy (WB) 6

2002 – Justin Murphy/Corey McKernan (Carl) 5

2001 – Peter Bell (Frem) 11

2000 – Stewart Loewe (St K) 7

1999 – Nathan Buckley (Coll) 20

1998 – Michael Voss (Bris) 7

1997 – Todd Viney (Melb) 9

1996 – Martin Pike (Fitz) 6

Imagine a time when Paul Wheatley was your top votegetter…

Wonder where they got the idea for that article…

Who is Zerrett’s manager? Seems like a good guy…

deleted

Boo. Don't delete the graph!

I don’t wish to upset esteemed members of blitz.

ESSENDON YOUNG GUN FINISHES SEASON ON HIGH

By Rocky IV
The Herald Age

In a season that saw young Essendon midfielder Daniel Merrett come of age, he has finished off the 2016 season on a massive high with a top 10 finish in the Brownlow medal count. The night caps off a massive season for the young midfielder in which he was somewhat controversially left out of the forty man All Australian squad.

In a season that saw Essendon players including Angus Monfries, Paddy Ryder and Stewart Crameri all forced to sit on the sidelines for the entire season and watch due to the ASADA 12 month ban handed down by WADA, it was Jacksons star that shone brightest. In a season that saw him pick up his second best and fairest award, he also accumulated the most possessions by an Essendon player in a season.

In a season that saw the Essendon Football club collect only three wins, it was left to some of the clubs younger players to stand tall and deliver. Merit did just that all season, along with star draftees Aaron France’s, Andrew McDonald-TopongTwutiTwinting , Darcy Parish and Joe Daniher, they formed a formidable formation that will give hope to the beleagured clubs fans of a bright future in seasons to come.

In a season that saw experienced coach John Worsfold take the helm and guide his young bombers to the wooden spoon, he said he couldn’t speak highly enough of the youngsters game this past season and said it gave hope to a whole new generation of Essendons supporters for seasons to come.

“Look I can’t speak highly enough of Rogers game this past season”, Worsfold said, “it really gives hope to a whole new generation of Essendon supporters for seasons to come” he continued.

In a season that saw 10 of the twelve suspended bombers re-commit to the club, the club was also thrilled last week to announce to their fans and members that Zack had re-signed with the club for the next five seasons, which gives a whole new generation of Essendon supporters hope for seasons to come.

1 Like

Really have to look at who’s posting before getting emotionally invested in an article.

Rocky, you had me at Daniel Merrett.