#7 Zerrett in the beginning

https://twitter.com/JustineMB_29/status/781693107985199104

Wow, Zerret is shorter than I thought!!!

I think he’s on his knee

Took me several seconds to notice where he was in the photo.

I think he’s on his knee

Noooooo

I think he’s on his knee

Noooooo

Whose knee ?

Fits right in with the under 11’s

I think he’s on his knee

Noooooo

fkn cracked me up hahahahahahaha

Just to emphasize what a fcking star this kid is.

He is one of only 7 midfielders to be top 30 in the league for both clearances and metres gained. That is some elite company.

If we get a player as good as this kid with pick 1 this year you would be absolutely delighted. He is a genuine young star.

I reckon he’s at home watching the Bont get his premiership medal, planning his own.

I reckon he's at home watching the Bont get his premiership medal, planning his own.

The kid is going to take us to 17.

He is one of only 7 midfielders to be top 30 in the league for both clearances and metres gained. That is some elite company.

Look at Patrick Cripps

Crownbet Brownlow 2017 - Zach Merrett $51.
Will go well in a multi with the premiership @ $26.
BANG BANG

Look at Patrick Cripps

Good point - that is a brilliant graph and highlights the fact that Cripps doesn’t (yet) have a running game to contemplate his immense inside clearance work. interestingly, despite the love affair the media has with Bonetempelli, he is not even listed.

In 2016, Zac Merrett clearly had them both covered as an elite mid.

The top left quadrant clearly rates the best running HB. I suspect Johanissen is not listed because he did miss a stack of footy due to a bad hammy through the year.

Would be great to get all the names on the grey dots.

Does “metres gained” exclude clangers (e.g. 50m kicks to an opponent on their own)?

Does “metres gained” exclude clangers (e.g. 50m kicks to an opponent on their own)?

Metres gained is farking stupid, probably includes how far you can also kick the football towards the sky.

No. A fairly pointless stat.

Genuinely valid question, surely direct turnovers aren’t counted? It’s an interesting point whether long bombs to contests really ‘count’ as gaining metres as it depends so much on the work rate from the rest of the team as to whether you can capitalise. Can’t agree that it is a ‘pointless’ stat. Like all stats you need to pair it with actual observation but it’s a reasonable way of gauging the impact a player is having on the outside.

What I take from that graph is that so called “inside/outside” midfielders are really ■■■■■■ rare, much more so than regular discussion would have us believe. Furthermore, Zerrett’s progress is out of this world, with Shiel being the next youngest player listed in that bracket and he is 3 years older than him.

It’s one of the worst “buzz stats” going around and the commentators love it.

A 50 m bomb into the forward line gives you +50 even if it ends up coming back out, whereas a 50m switch across the ground that leads to an easy goal is worth 0 (or even negative if it goes slightly backwards!)

Look at Patrick Cripps

Good point - that is a brilliant graph and highlights the fact that Cripps doesn’t (yet) have a running game to contemplate his immense inside clearance work. interestingly, despite the love affair the media has with Bonetempelli, he is not even listed.

In 2016, Zac Merrett clearly had them both covered as an elite mid.

The top left quadrant clearly rates the best running HB. I suspect Johanissen is not listed because he did miss a stack of footy due to a bad hammy through the year.

Would be great to get all the names on the grey dots.

I think that’s a bit much, when you only base it in two stats and you can’t even really compare two dogs that easily (Zerrett has more meters gained but cripps is miles in front of him (and the entire comp) for clearances

Fair to say though the 2013 draft is shaping up as some kind of super draft that’s for sure (now that Tommy Boyd is showing why he was pick 1)

Metres gained is farking stupid, probably includes how far you can also kick the football towards the sky.

Gives fkwits like David king a reason for being.