Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Agreed.

I also love that he can win VFL games off his own boot. I like having our developing kids play in a competitive VFL side, and Smack really helps that.

2 Likes

Do some people actually think McKernan could be a regular in the senior team?

Gee whiz!

2 Likes

Sort of reminds me of a farewell letter a writer at an ad company wrote a few years ago. “I’d also like to thank the creative director for all his guidance on my career here. He once sat me down and told me about his vast experience in the advertising industry. It was the greatest 5 minutes of my life.”

2 Likes

I think if he plays well and stays fit…

…he could be a regular emergency

1 Like

Most unlikely, but never say never. Who knows what the future holds? Something might change for McKernan where he reinvents himself

Optimistic. Nice work.

While l would love for it to happen, you will understand that based on his previous history, l won’t hold my breath waiting for it.

How good was he round 1 tho…

4 Likes

That goal on the run to the Punt Rd end brought the house down. Goosebumps thinking about it

3 Likes

Can’t speak for NewLav, but if all Smack does is get Draper to have an impact forward he’s earned his spot.

Based on what?

Fantastic signing. As a depth player he is exactly what you want.

I hope he plays as a permanent forward in the vfl to.allow draper ans lavender to develop.

I also think he could still play a role as a forward at afl.level

Besides the insane amount of free kicks he gave away, he was pretty good. Would get more senior games if he could be more disciplined in that regard. Happy for him to have another year.

To me Smack as a rookie makes sense. It’s highly likely that at some point both Leuenberger and Bellchambers will be injured at the same time as they are old and frail. At the same time it’s unlikely that Lavender or Draper will be ready for AFL this year. Therefore he’s a no brainer rookie particularly as he can also provide kpf backup.

6 Likes

Yep. And given now Category A rookies can just play without being upgraded it’s a very justifiable decision.

Korn McShernan

Would be one of the best ruckman in the league if he had an extra 5cm. And not to his neck.

Cult Figure.

He lines up for a fourth season on our list.

I’m pleased.

1 Like

Is this true? The way I see it the opposite is happening, 5-10 years ago most teams played 2 rucks, which meant one had to be able to hold their own forward or back or whatever.
Not the case now, almost every team in the comp plays 1 ruckman, who’s either in the ruck or off the ground.

Obviously flexibility is always good but I’m not sure lacking it is the career killer it once was.