#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Best game by a small defender on Eddie all year. Possibly the best in 2 years.

A) the kid is a first year player
B) he actually isn’t even a small defender, he just plays it that fkn good. Imagine how good he will be as a midfielder by 2019-2020 after 50 games and half in the midfield!

2 Likes

Made a few mistakes early but did not let it bother him. He then blanketed one of the best small forwards of all time while being damaging himself. Best game he’s played.

4 Likes

Has to get a taste of the midfield this year, two games remain, let him free!

Just a joy to watch the start of a Bomber champion’s career.

2 Likes

One of his best games. Rising star possibly.

Surely his game last night would bring him close to the Rising Star. 1st year player keeping the best small forward in the game goalless!

Also there was play where he made a mistake, but his recovery was all class! Had everyone in my section up and about! Love him.

2 Likes

But but but he was the wrong pick so boring and vanilla and stuff?

3 Likes

I still think Clug will be a gun!

4 Likes

Not unlike Tippa in how he makes repeat efforts, you feel he is never out of the contest.

Yes, he will be no doubt, and was always predicted to take longer to develop. Both completely different types of players. Need to ask this question again in 3 years time. My money is still on MCG though.

Plus he plays for Essendon and automatically has to do 20% more than a player from any other club to win anything. AFL breathed a sigh of relief when Kennedy kicked 6 last night as they wouldn’t have fancied explaining to the public why Daniher didn’t get the Coleman even though he kicked more goals than the other guys.

7 Likes

Would love to say it but I threw away my paddle after we didn’t give the tin rattlers a paddlin’. If we make finals i’m sure I will go back and find it.

Nah ■■■■ it, he gave the best small forward in the game an absolute paddlin’ last night

4 Likes

Not the only question.
Will it be before or after Zerrett?

If we can adjust his initial instinct to attack rather than get the ball to safety I think he could become a top 20 player in the AFL.

That one on one recovery with a chase back to the goalmouth with a second Crows pursuant lurking, was as cool as you will ever see. He tidied up and turned it into an attack through Kelly. Rightfully drew a round of applause.

That kind of thing doesn’t win Mickey Mouse popularity contests, but it’s the type of thing champions like Fletch and Scarlett used to do at their peak under enormous pressure. This kid has a genuinely impressive head on his shoulders, wonderful instincts and a work ethic to go with it.

6 Likes

Sam Powell-Pepper will win the rising star. Its already stitched up. All the journos (mainly slobbo robbo) have already written their “rags to riches” stories about him. Never mind the award though, Andy is easily the best in his draft crop. His speed and quick decision making is only going to improve and we’re going to have an absolute gamebreaker on our hands.

2 Likes

Behind the goals everyone was on their feet applauding.Noise was off the charts.We are incredibly lucky to observe the progression up close.

1 Like

I reckon the guy you didn’t mention deserves to win it and will, Ryan Burton.

5 Likes

Burton will rising star, and be deserving.

McGrath is a clear second, and should be seen that way.

Im not in the habit of complementing Hawthorn

1 Like