#1 Andy McGrath loves finals football (Part 1)

Just talking makes me nervous in general not necessarily kicking. Like when he picks up the ball and turns back into traffic and tries to fend off a tackle, tries to go for a risky across goal kick or tries to run away from a chasing tackler. Heart in the mouth type of stuff.

Similar kicking skill to Heppell, really good with the short lead up kick. Forwards and others in front of the play have to position for the strengths of the kicker.
He is really strict on his positioning and now taking the game on which are great attributes to have for a second year player. Starts to shine when the game gets harder which is rare for a young player.
Heā€™s really clever with ball in hand, either makes the decision to attack, draw players in or moves to a safe position to offload. Worthy of number 1 pick.

Oh yeah.
But when the ball actually gets to boot, all ends up OK.

I think McGrathā€™s kicking is quite a bit better than what he seems to be getting credit for here. It lacks a little penetration, but he can still kick 50m.

Main issue to date has been that he has a tendency to often handball when he should kick. This will improve with confidence and i think the doubters will find he is actually an excellent kick.

Was awesome Vs North. Best game this year, and in a midfield-based role. It is the benchmark now and soon will become the norm.

6 Likes

I think his kicking comes down to not spending those vital early years in Australia.
Blame Canada.

2 Likes

What @Lars said

kicked an important goal

To me it seems that he is being guided and encouraged to take the game on with a bit more confidence, and you can tell this by the way he is starting to regain his burst from a contest to create space. He had lost this for a while, hand-balling instead - which he gets away with, because he is so so damn good at hand-balling.

Heā€™s been here since he was 5.

Any kicking skills learnt before 5 are probably worth abandoning anyway

2 Likes

Bugger. That time-frame includes my first lessons in mammary appreciation.

Oh hang on - kickingā€¦ I thought you said licking.

Highly doubt that. Moved here when he was 5 which is when most kids start to even kick a footy properly.

McKenna moved to Australia and first kicked a footy when he was 17 - and he is one of our longest and most penetrating kicks.

Some guys can kick it like a bullet, some canā€™t. Itā€™s not a be all and end all for a superstar player.

Thanks for that Barry.

He doesnā€™t kick them as far as others but he kicks them low and fast, and he is usually more accurate after a bit of a run and carry which will become more and more common as he gets comfy

Last year he kicked a goal from about 55m out

It bounced through though didnā€™t it?

Who cares if he can kick 45 or 50 metres. As long as he can hit targets (which it seems like he can).

3 Likes

Yeah, youā€™re right it bounced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OkccOSqcEM

I donā€™t really care about his kicking length.

How often does Zerrett kick it over 50m? Heā€™s by no means a Zerrett, but I think heā€™ll be a good solid kick and heā€™ll most likely improve over the next few years.

This kid learns fast!

Really starting to take the game on.

3 Likes