#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Hope the kid can get the best out of himself because his upside is huge. Please leave him down back he looks a natural

As frustrated as I was when I heard he wanted(rumoured) to leave I am glad he is still here

1 Like

I agree with most of what youā€™ve said there, especially about defence being easier to play. (How good would Joe look as an intercept defender?)

Thing is thoughā€¦ There isnā€™t a heap of room in our forward line, and while I can see Francis eventually taking Hookerā€™s spot, it wonā€™t be next year. So as far as opportunities go, heā€™ll get way more in the back half next year than the front.

Either way, I think they need to pick an end for him, and leave him there.

The kid needs confidence. Play him in a position he can dominate then challenge him as time goes on.

1 Like

Hookerā€™s 29 and could easily go back if Francis was to make it as a forward. Hurley and Ambrose are locks, and Hartley and Brown are ahead of him too.

Iā€™d play Hurley as a genuine key defender with Ambrose. Iā€™m not sold on Hurley playing loose. Brown is actually pretty capable as a third tall, while Iā€™d only play Hartley if Ambrose was injured.

So Iā€™m not sure there are more opportunities in the back line. As I said in my earlier post, finding a suitable matchup each week could be an issue. Looking at the Grand Finalists, Iā€™ve got no idea who heā€™d play on against a mobile forward line like Richmondā€™s got. Against Adelaide someone like Lynch or McGovern would run him up and down the ground for fun.

ā€¦and, in keeping with the tenor of the times, is 18 or older.

2 Likes

He has been a defender all his life and is a very good intercept mark. Use his strengths, settle him in and let him get some confidence and consistency

27 Likes

Woosha loves a swingman.

Remember when Plan A was Hunter back, and Plan B was Hunter forward.

Nothing wrong with playing both Hurley and Francis back, and capable of going forward.

1 Like

Teams need to re-assess using top end picks on key forwards - They need to carefully study the physical characteristics of big key forwards along with their agility, and better predict how these big forwards will transition from no zoning in the TAC Cup to the way forward lines are set up in the AFL.

4 Likes

dominating kids as a man child doesnā€™t translate well to being a dominant afl player.

that being said, these kids need a good 4-5 years to get ready.

2 Likes

I feel like you should be banned from this thread.

1 Like

Iā€™m only just softening up from that game saving mark in the vfl months ago

has got the hurley beast mode about him

1 Like

No tiene nada que ver!

1 Like

Question: Who would he replace in the forward line? l couldnā€™t see him displacing any of the players from this season, and now the forward division just got stronger with the arrival of Stringer and Smith, plus the continued development of Begley. l just donā€™t see any space in the forward half for me. Down back he looks like he could take Hartleyā€™s spot, providing his fitness is up to scratch.

l would like to see him matched at least for a little while with Stringer as his training partner. Both have the build but they both need to build their tanks. Francis could be anything in 2018. l think he will arrive, and force the league to sit up and take notice. He has all the attributes needed and hiring his own personal trainer is a step in the right direction, as it shows he is committed.

For the record l did not want him traded and was confident he would be retained. He is a required player who is just about to hit his straps. Get around him.

1 Like

Appreciate the intent of the post is to support Francis, but i think itā€™s a pretty significant exaggeration to suggest that the highlight of the clubā€™s most productive trade period in more than 20 years was retaining (primarily due to lack of interest from the SA clubs) a 20y.o. whoā€™s shown very little at either AFL or VFL level to date.

4 Likes

When does mongrel training begin?

I wouldnā€™t call Ambrose a lock. Still has a bit to show imo before thatā€™s the case. And while Mitch Brown is very handy, if Francis canā€™t push past him this year, then wellā€¦

Iā€™d also like to see Hurley play more lock down, and I reckon Francis could slot into Hurleyā€™s current role sooner rather than later. I canā€™t see him moving into Hookerā€™s spot this year, though.

Basically, I agree with you long term, but canā€™t see it happening in the short term.

3 Likes

I donā€™t expect a breakout year this year for Francis. Heā€™ll take longer. Iā€™ll be happy if he shows some genuine improvement and is happy at the club.

4 Likes

Do you work in banking ?

I hear heā€™s using this guy to train him

4 Likes

This is 100% Hookers moment. Heā€™s an enormous talent. Heā€™ll come back and have an unbelievable season. There is/will be a spot for his taking.

1 Like