#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

What I’m hoping for is to see him get senior games as a tall back pocket.

A back seven of…

Saad Ambo Francis
Gleeson Brown McKenna
Hurley as the 7th directing rebounds with either foot

…could work. Saad Gleeson and McKenna have plenty of speed. Francis and Brown are good intercept marks. Ambo is lock down on the no1 key fwd.

You must have missed the McGrathmobile

1 Like

That one is a bit from left field. It’s interesting. I still think Bags is best 22.

1 Like

I reckon he will struggle for games regardless of where he plays. If he manages 10 I’d consider it a big step forward.

We need be thinking long-term and post-Hooker with our setup. I reckon Francis is the most natural successor.

What players do you think Francis is well suited to matching up on as a defender?

Whatever sh*tty third-string opponent that Ambrose/Hartley or Hurley don’t take?

Who is a good match up for Gleeson? Doesn’t really matter, because he doesn’t play a lot of one on one defence.

He has to play a decent amount if senior footy this year, both for his development and for us to keep him at the club.

If he sits in the VFL all year waiting for Hooker to get injured, then we won’t have a long term option with Francis.

1 Like

Red menace, lol.

I really just don’t see him playing much this year.

Barring injury.

He’d need to improve dramatically and hope hurley improves his one on one stuff so that the 3rd tall spot his available. If they send hooker back it would make it really tough.

That said, I’m happy for him to see out his two years and then reassess. It’s all up to him

3 Likes

GET AROUND HIM!

Red October.

The crimson horror

Lets back this kid in.

I see him as a intercepting defender in the Hurley mould who could pinch hit forward as he can take a grab. If fitness increases perhaps pinch hit midfield too!

Worsfold could use the Switch with Hooker/Hurley/Francis.

Good Essendon utilities
Hird - Forward/Mid
Lucas - Forward/Defender
Hurley - Defender/Defender
Hooker - Forward/Defender

1 Like

These third talls that you propose Francis to match up on are typically running machines that cover midfield kms in a game. GPS showed Stewart covered more ground than our mids. Lynch (the Adelaide one), Westhoff, Darling, Curnow etc are all elite runners. I just can’t see Francis ever being able to go with those guys.

On Gleeson, he is capable of playing on any type between small forward to third tall. There’s always going to be players he can man.

1 Like

Well I cannot work it out; do you think that Brisbane would give up this years 1st pick for McGrath ? I would but if no-one wants Schache , except Dogs for second round pick at last minute, and no-one wanted Francis, Stringer went for two seconds etc. I am not sure how these guys work anything out.

Gleeson gets exploited for strength in one on one contests with bigger guys, and exploited for speed by smaller guys.

His strength is defending ‘space’ rather than specific opponents.

Francis is in a similar boat imo (although obviously with different deficiencies), and I reckon he’s the sort of guy to have an opponent follow him, rather than the other way around.

I don’t disagree that his fitness will be the biggest issue with him in defence, but it’s an issue wherever he plays.

Woosha’s plan A was more complex than this. Plan A involved putting Judd, Cousins, Kerr and Cox on-ball + Hunter back.

Woosha Plan A
Tippa Hooker Daniher Fanta Stringer Forward, McGrath Mid

Woosha Plan B
Hooker Back, Daniher Ruck, Fanta Midfield Tippa HBF McGrath Back Pocket

Woosha Plan C
Hurley Forward, Stringer midfield, Tippa CHF, Stewart Ruck

We are now a pretty versatile team. I believe last year Woosha didnt make many moves, as he wants to drill in Plan A, and it was really the first year he had the full list together.

things he did do was

• send Hooker back to try and stem the bleeding/change momentum.
  • Daniher in the Ruck give Bellchambers a breather and sometimes get him involved.
  • Tippa/Fanta in midfield to add pace
  • McGrath to midfield late in year
  • Hurley push forward from defence
  • Tried Stewart in the Ruck
2 Likes

TIppa CHF…

its a joke. like Davey CHF.

Francis has to look at it differently.

He has the luxury of being able to learn of some of the best Key Position players in the league and also versatile third tall in the likes of Hookers, Daniher, Hurley, Stringer and co.

He has to just look at what they have done and try to emulate it (minus Stringer).

2018 will be more of a showing the signs year but his goals needs to be to be able to show he can play and dominate in bursts with the goal in 2019 to be a regular.

The likes of Hooker, Hurley and co will also be injured and need breaks and he will have to be ready to grab that opportunity.

Huh? No

He should be showing a lot more than he’s shown to date. He’s 20 years old and been in the system two years, and he really should have produced some notable performances if he’s as good as he’s supposed to be.

1 Like

Plus pushed Parish out to the wing for 2 reasons I believe. Protect his body as he loves the inside game but doesn’t have the build for it yet, & give him a chance to improve his disposal skills with a bit more time & space.
He is going to be a classic Daisy Williams type rover in years to come.

5 Likes