#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

I just gottaa knoww

IS HE OUT OR IS HE IN

Has similar stats to Jake Stringer in his first few games.

Jake didnā€™t really start hitting his straps till about 20 games or soā€¦ Letā€™s assess frang after he plays at least another 15 games!

BTW I think he is most similar to Stringer and Darling of current players.

5 Likes

Solid post. Needs more likes. Stringer is the test case for Francis, the template we need to follow. Explosive power athletes, as opposed to endurance beasts. Capable of taking games by the throat through a 5min patch of explosive brilliance, will never accumulate bulk possessions through huge workrate. I think heā€™s a mile off Stringers fitness level at the same time and will take longer again, but thatā€™s what this kid can be.

Absolutely - the other test case is Jack Darling.

But donā€™t go looking at his statsā€¦ he kicked over 50 in his second year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Darling was known to have elite endurance when drafted. Was the kpp size who could run like a midfielder.

Francis is not that. Poor comparison.

3 Likes

Correct.
Ditto on Langford, except hard balls instead of tank. Weā€™re not a finals force this year.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. Not a good comparison except perhaps in size where they are about the same.

1 Like

Dropped.

Give him some ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  consistentcy in the 1ā€™s and he will flourish.

I canā€™t beleive bl o o dy is censoredā€¦?

1 Like

Thread title needs an extra OUT on the end

2 Likes

It canā€™t be helpful, one game up then out. Very surprised he was omitted ahead of McKenna and to a lesser extent Zaharakis, who was poor in the 2nd half v Freo. 0.3 from 13 disposals, not massive but at least he got some looks at goal. Just hope he plays a full game, get a ton of the footy and get another chance. Maybe some ā€œtough loveā€ from Woosha?

He was omitted because, at present, he canā€™t run out of sight on a dark night.
Heā€™ll be back again.
And gone again.
And back again.
Itā€™s a process.

6 Likes

That might suck if you werenā€™t sure your position in the team was safe, but Francis would know that his spot on the list is in no danger and he has nothing to prove except heā€™s improving his tank, for this year at least

I like Franga on the ball when heā€™s on the ball but Frangas gotta come off the ball when heā€™s off the ball.

You all realise giving him one week in one week out is a brilliant way of phasing his fitness to an afl level, rather than blowing him to injury in econsecutive games because he is a beast competitor.

5 Likes

How is it so hard for people to understand that the least fit bloke on the list is NOT going to play every game in the seniors? Heā€™s a mile off it still, but his obvious talent and ability is seeing him picked here and there when heā€™s not really ready.
Sit, wait, and behold when he is picked because he is fit enough.

2 Likes

Needs consistency in his games. More than any thing, just a consistent performance and he keeps his spot. Doesnā€™t have to be brilliant, doesnā€™t have to be goals. He just needs to be in the action for 4 quarters.
He does this, he secures his spot and starts to flourish at the top level.

Which ainā€™t happened at the top level with his current level of fitness.

I still think he adds more value as a backman.

One thing Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle did for us was not only nullify the opponent but often out mark them, giving us back possession for a counter-attack rather than just setting up another stoppage.

Ambrose plays his role perfectly, but after that Iā€™d have Hurley then Francis as the tall backs.

This may be a fitness issue currently, but come 2018 thatā€™s how Iā€™d play it. Unless the plan is for Francis to stay forward to allow Hooker to return back.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to see him given a go down back too.

Heā€™s had limited impact as forward so far (from very limited opportunities). The Blitz consensus seems to be that this is due to poor fitness. I wonder whether it might also have something to do with him having played most of his footy as a defender. I think we should be giving him a go down back with Brown and Ambrose injured. Perhaps heā€™ll find a bit more of the footy?

Ultimately I think heā€™s competing with Stewart and Langford for the 3rd marking forward role AND/OR with Brown and Hartley for the 3rd tall defender role. (Iā€™m assuming Hooker stays forward, which is likely given the forward line is working for the first time in about a decade.)

This is rough. Canā€™t run around at night, and because heā€™s a ginger he canā€™t get out during daylight hours either.

8 Likes