#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

Schache will be better when he gets to Melbourne next year

Schace wanted to go, & AFAIK, still wants to stay in Brisbane, his Dad played for the Bears, and he said he wanted to “Finish Off” what his Dad started… That’s why they picked him, a KPP prospect that would not “want away” like other young guns before him.

"I think that’d be pretty cool if I ended up at Brisbane. I could go back to where dad was and finish off what he did there," Schache said.

He will be one they build their next tilt around.

My understanding is things have changed and he wants out, preferably to a Melbourne club. Collingwood are keeping very close tabs on him

1 Like

Schache’s dad played for Essendon (seconds and thirds).

Where’s the loyalty?

What’s happened to the old attitude that if a child wanted to follow a team different from its parents, well, what are wolves and hillsides for?

2 Likes

Yeah I did and was a worthy winner.

Woah easy there partner.

1 Like

I had heard something spouted by a media flog,… but that would be strange seeing how the AFL have put their men in, and heaps of dollars, and things seem to be on the up there now, … on top of his clearly expressed sentiments.

I think it more likely it’s a manager foxing for a better deal, and the Media flogs creating a story.

Would be terrible for Brisbane if so. It can’t keep happening or they will never rise off bottom.

Draft picks should have clauses that they can’t leave within 4yr period from being drafted. By then they should have established strong friendships within club and also a position in the team.

Only under extraordinary circumstances should they be able to leave before then.

1 Like

Laurence Schache kicked 25 goals for us in an u19’s game vs Sydney in round 2 1985.

5 Likes

My personal opinion is they can leave but no choice where they go.

I can’t see how they should be able to force a move to a club of choice.

That doesn’t help the club really outside of selling off to highest bidder and being compensated accordingly.

It still doesn’t arrest the player churn however.

Lions had desperately needed a kpf. They got the best one of the draft in finishing 2nd last. They can’t afford to have him go.

1 Like

I think they would have second thoughts about leaving if it was up to the club who they traded with.

Cant put Francis up against Lloyd/Lucas…they played in the old era of stay at home forwards. Francis has to play up from the goal square to the half back flank as needed in the press. I think he would probably get asked to do a few more k’s than those two blokes

Partially.

But if he wanted to come back to Victoria because of homesickness (diddums) then so many clubs possible.

Obviously the Boyd deal after his 1st year when he had done farking nothing and then got himself $1mil and a flag would have every highly touted young kpf considering their options as soon as drafted.

1 Like

Except maybe a special exception for Setterfield.

2 Likes

According to this person he was very close to walking last season. Was a huge rift between several of the younger players and Rockliff and he didn’t like the direction the club was heading. Obviously things have changed up there and he might be enjoying it again but he will definitely get a couple of sizeable offers from a couple of Melbourne clubs which would make him atleast look. Probably the smartest move for him is to sign up there for another year or two on average money and if he has a couple of ripping years he would be able to command a far higher price. The kid has the goods but he is still a work in progress

2 Likes

BRING. HIM. IN.

So we can ditch them, but they can’t ditch us? Nice

You’d find most draftees last 4yrs minimum, especially top picks given the investment made.

It takes 4yrs before these 17-18yr olds development is such that you know they capable or not.

Only time they get the chop early is generally due to complete lack of professionalism and so deserving of ditching.

We however like to hang onto players past 4yrs even when we know they aren’t up to it, or drop them to rookie list, and then ditch them eventually.

1 Like

Perhaps such a thing could apply to first round picks only. 3 years for 2nd round. 2 years the rest.

1 Like