#10 Franga: IN OUT IN OUT

Yep. Could be a bit of that going on…

I just thought it was interesting that Woosha chose to focus on size/strength issues… didn’t expect that.

He will be a lock in the team from round 15 onwards. Won’t play VFL again after that.

I was phrased as he has the strength to compete early, but cant maintain the effort for the whole game. The issue being repeat strength rather than repeat running. Interesting distinction.

1 Like

Francis has massive strength and explosive power below the hips, but his upper body strength does not match it yet imo. When it comes down to wrestling, thats a problem. Give him a run at it, he is a wrecking ball. I think one more preseason in the gym will help to redress the upper body issue.

There’s zero doubt that he has serious talent.

The fact that he seemingly can’t compete consistently for more than a quarter or a half at most, after 18 months is a legitimate concern though.

Even a 3rd tall fwd with average endurance would have Franga done and dusted by qtr time at the moment.

If there has been a player (or players) with a worse endurance base in the league over the last 15 or 20 years I’d love someone to point out who it was.

Lance Whitnall maybe?

2 Likes

Jay Neagle? Or maybe that was just laziness

Many of his most audacious plays have come in the last quarter of games.

4 Likes

There definitely is that.

It’s more that his endurance seemingly doesn’t allow him to do it at a consistent level for very long.

If he can ever get that bit sorted, he would be some kind of player.

But as we saw most recently on Anzac day, he is fair way behind even average AFL players in that regard.

Or maybe he’s just a 20 year old that might take a little bit longer to adjust to a full time strength and fitness program.

Some players never do and keep breaking down. Just look at Darcy Daniher or even Scott Gumbleton. I’m not saying that Francis won’t, but I reckon it’s worth taking it slow building up that upper body bulk so he doesn’t break down permanently. So he doesn’t end up being an extremely talented youngster who never reaches his potential, due to ongoing injuries like Darcy or Gumby.

2 Likes

Um… all his injuries have been to his lower body?

If he is having soft tissue injuries in his lower body, putting on more size is only going to cause him more issues. That’s why I said that it needs to happen slowly and intentionally.

1 Like

Majak Daw

Leaps over everyone in the first quarter
Has the coach pining for the sub rule by the second quarter
The commentators never stop fapping over how great an athlete he is though!!

1 Like

He’s carrying too much on the top half already IMO. Needs to slim down a bit. Players are conditioned a bit lighter than they were 5 years ago.

Yeah. Was watching him on Anzac day live at the G and he looked like he’d blown up by quarter time. Played well for that x1 quarter BTW.

Needs to seriously work on building his tank.

Round 15 2018

4 Likes

Has this bloke been on a treadmill for the past month?

he’s played the last 3 VFL games, so not sure what you mean?

Just some tongue in cheek. Some talk out of the club earlier last week that they’re still building his fitness.

I have to admit he’s my favorite player. And not just because we share the same birthday (albeit 13 years apart).

I love the way he plays.

I love the big marks, the heavy tackles, the agressive attack on a loose ball, the long kicking. Sure it has only been glimpses at AFL level, but I’m patient. I’ve been wrong before, but I’m pretty certain he’ll make it. Might take a couple more years though.

4 Likes

You’re only seven?

14 Likes