#10 Nicholas (Nick) O'Brien

Keep, but please cut out the blind handballs backwards over his shoulder to no-one in particular. Seems to panic and do that every time he plays seniors.
TIPPA did one of them in the prelim. Hit the target perfectly, it was awesome.

If he doesn’t get another year then I don’t know what a player has to do to keep his spot this year. We already have 6 delistings with possibly more to come.

People bang on about his pace, but that is not necessarily the problem. It's okay to be slow, but you have to make up for it somehow. His problem is he is slow and, despite his weight and height, not that strong.

To become a solid AFL player, he’ll need to do two things imo:

• Become strong. Either hit up Dank, or have a big pre-season in the gym. Needs to get stronger so that he can win the ball enough on the inside that his lack of pace on the outside won’t be an issue. It’ll also help him stick the tackles he has been missing.
  • Use the ball more aggressively. He has a reasonable kick on him that he needs to use to hit up leads more, rather than perpetually switch play with. His instinctive handballs backwards (often to someone who isn’t even free) have to stop. Yesterday was the first time I’ve seen him get the ball and look forward first up, and he had the best game he’s played at the club as a result. Really hope he can do that consistently, though I’m worried that it’s still an issue 4 years in.

He’s up against it, but at the same time if he works on those two things then it’s possible he can become a best 22 player.

He is strong and does win the contested ball. 30+ possies at AFL level confirms this. But he will get stronger

People bang on about his pace, but that is not necessarily the problem. It's okay to be slow, but you have to make up for it somehow. His problem is he is slow and, despite his weight and height, not that strong.

• Become strong. Either hit up Dank, or have a big pre-season in the gym. Needs to get stronger so that he can win the ball enough on the inside that his lack of pace on the outside won’t be an issue. It’ll also help him stick the tackles he has been missing.
  • Use the ball more aggressively. He has a reasonable kick on him that he needs to use to hit up leads more, rather than perpetually switch play with. His instinctive handballs backwards (often to someone who isn’t even free) have to stop. Yesterday was the first time I’ve seen him get the ball and look forward first up, and he had the best game he’s played at the club as a result. Really hope he can do that consistently, though I’m worried that it’s still an issue 4 years in.

He’s up against it, but at the same time if he works on those two things then it’s possible he can become a best 22 player.

He is strong and does win the contested ball. 30+ possies at AFL level confirms this. But he will get stronger

I’d love him to spend the off season with Jobe’s boxing coach. He has that same slightly chubby look that Jobe had despite his clearly elite fitness. A solid few months focusing on contested strength could make a massive difference.

He got it so many times against Williamstown if he can become an ELITE kick can have a future.
Sam Mitchell is slow model your game on him .

If he doesn't get another year then I don't know what a player has to do to keep his spot this year. We already have 6 delistings with possibly more to come.

6 delistings? The 3 retirees plus Dalgleish and Aylett. Who is the 6th?

Well, Carlol for a start, & you could add Melksham to it & make it 7 now.

They’re not delistings

Ahhh … you say semantics … I say pedantics. . :wink:

They’re not delistings

Ok call is list changes then.

I’d love him to spend the off season with Jobe’s boxing coach. He has that same slightly chubby look that Jobe had despite his clearly elite fitness. A solid few months focusing on contested strength could make a massive difference.

I reckon that would work wonders for Tippa as well

Ahhh .. you say semantics .. I say pedantics. . ;)

Settle guys, let’s call the whole thing off.

They’re not delistings

Funny thing is, aboods calls it only 6 delistings because players leaving/being traded are NOT delistings, yet includes retirements as delistings … which they categorically, by his own definition … are not.

Take a bow aboods, that shitt is as cheeky as anything I’ve seen here.

They’re not delistings

Funny thing is, aboods calls it only 6 delistings because players leaving/being traded are NOT delistings, yet includes retirements as delistings … which they categorically, by his own definition … are not.

Take a bow aboods, that shitt is as cheeky as anything I’ve seen here.

haha. fair enough.
I’m still hoping the new coach convinces Carlisle to stay, which is the real reason why I don’t want to count him yet :slight_smile:

Bump. Two year deal coming up.*

*I have no sauce. Just wishful thinking. Really want him to get two years. Also BUMP.

Momentum PEOPLE.

Agree. This guy is a 22 year old prototype Joe Misiti. No way they can de list a ball magnet who has leadership qualities, is a fast thinker, and has a big tank. Its just a matter of how long a contract . The current crop of draftee mids will be coming through within 2 years . If they go past him so be it. .

I didn’t follow footy in the time of Smoking Joe - tell me more!

With Craig Bird and hopefully a fair suck of battered sav for David Myers, Jobe Watson and Heater injury-wise next year, I envisage he won’t play many games next year. Which I why I want him to get two years. It may take another year for him to crack into the team. He’s a late developer.

I didn't follow footy in the time of Smoking Joe - tell me more!

With Craig Bird and hopefully a fair suck of battered sav for David Myers, Jobe Watson and Heater injury-wise next year, I envisage he won’t play many games next year. Which I why I want him to get two years. It may take another year for him to crack into the team. He’s a late developer.

No one could understand why Joe was so good. He was slow and not flashy at all. But it amounted to this: he played centre. He found the ball a lot, and he handpassed with devastating effectiveness to players like Hird, Mercuri, Johnson, Long and so on. Say no more.

Gawn

Nope.