#10 Sam Weideman

and gives cover for a major injury

Heā€™s a depth weed

I would say the opposite about Jones. Seems like he has a huge tank but runs around without getting the footy much.

4 Likes

Agreed. He needs to learn to lead to the right spots and use that tank.

At the moment, heā€™s relying on either an unconventional crumb or a free run and jump at a contest as a floating tall.

He was doing that sort of thing a lot more regularly in 2000-03 ish. From memory.

Iā€™m not reading a lot into his 2021, he never really got into it. Kicking 13 goals from 10 pretty mediocre performances is a good sign but he clearly wasnā€™t at his best.

His 2020 season was excellent, particularly mid year, and showed what he can do with a bit of continuity in his football. Leading patterns were a clear strengths, youā€™ll probably find a fair bit of commentary on them if you trawl through this thread from that time. Good pre-season and we hopefully see that version of Harry in 23.

Thereā€™s eighteen players and only one ball, off-ball movement is absolutely critical to creating the space you need to score

3 Likes

Gets past his niggles, granted they were more than average niggles, heā€™s got serious class. Looked comfortable as a kid at the highest level, Iā€™m not worried about Jones coming on at all.

Both Sam Weiderman AND Harry have a chance to make it this next season and 2024. Whatever weaving leads or lines they take, whatever shaking off the big defenders or taking big speccies. Even standard chest marks they make its all fine by me. Coleman did it, Lloydy did it and our other champs like Ken Fraser, Blethyn and Hirdy did too.

Sam and Harry must find their own way ans support 2MP. But most importantly kick straight. Iā€™ll be cheering them on to the rafters.

3 Likes

Its genuinely hard to predict who will be our second highest goal scorer next year behind Wright. It should be Stringer if injury and niggle free and plays more forward, but it could also be one of a number of players. - Jones, Weideman, Tippa, Guelfi, etc

This year
Wright 53 AVg2.4
Stringer 25 avg 1.7
martin 19 avg 0.9
Guelfi 17 avg 0.9
Perkins 16 avg 0.9
Jones 13 avg 1.3

Weideman 13 avg 1.3 at Dees

4 Likes

If Tippa gets fit and holds his place itā€™ll be him. He is our most reliable kick for goal from 40m in.

6 Likes

Wouldnt come to Essendon if he was going to be a depth player

1 Like

If weā€™re fully fit, and he doesnā€™t improve his consistency heā€™ll just be depth. Thatā€™s what he was at Melbourne, and if we improve to that type of standard thatā€™s all heā€™ll ever be with us.

We might have told him heā€™ll get a game, but I think it goes with out saying heā€™s got to be a point of difference first.

Potentials huge.

1 Like

I think heā€™ll play most games. He hasnā€™t really got much competition for the ruck-forward role

3 Likes

Think we will go with 3 tall forwards, with one being the back up ruck

Wright
Jones
Weideman (2nd ruck)

Stewart will compete with Jones and Weideman for a spot

1 Like

I think theyā€™re going back to Stewart to defence to take some pressure off Lav

1 Like

Yes agree ā€¦ā€¦but I think Scott will make Jones earn itā€¦ā€¦if heā€™s not fit enough or strong enough or showing enough effort Jones will slip down the pecking order very quickly and I expect Weid and Stew will be picked ahead of him. From the very few picks Iā€™ve seen this week Jones still looks 8-10kgs under weight - which makes you wonder what heā€™s been doing in the off season. Time will tell

2 Likes

ā€¦and maybe Baldwin. I think heā€™s a reasonable chance to establish himself this year as the 2nd or third tall. Seems to work extra hard, does the on field 1%ā€™ers and also has smarts I think (hope).

Edit - bullish is too much, but if Scott can sort our delivery into the F50 and stop them getting in each others way, I think we could have a reasonably functional forward line next year.

8 Likes

The top priority for the forward line has to be improving the pressure. Was dogshit last year.

4 Likes

May be a bit fanciful to expect Sam, as a discard to have the same trajectory as Peterā€¦ we can only hope / dream. Heā€™ll be given every chance to succeed. New environment, new messaging, new development coaches. Cloke could be a positive influence as well? As a senior player heā€™ll certainly provide a different dynamic up forward, which can only be a good thing

3 Likes

Who is he replacing? BZK and Ridley were both far superior to Stewart.

Has he ever played it effectively himself?