#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

I see Francis playing back, extra man back, wing, forward, center square, basically Goddards roll. In 18 months I see this as his position and he will be awesome.

3 Likes

Let it go, ffs!

6 Likes

Iā€™m starting to feel a more comfortable all of a sudden.

2 Likes

Agree with the last two points and I heard Mark Harvey say that was the main reason they played him forward. However at this stage being ā€˜unambitousā€™ is no longer a factor, I would be very happy if he became an upgrade on Gleeson.

1 Like

Adelaide or Melbourne will give us two first rounders in the MEGADRAFT if he plays next year as third tall defender.

3 Likes

If your a good player and understand the game, a defender will run less than a forward.

A good defender will cut off angles, theyā€™ll read the play earlier than the forward and run to where the ball will go. If a defender has a genuine understanding of the game they can see the game unfold from the midfield and make judgements on whether to run with their opponent or where the ball is going to go, or simply not follow their opponent because they have no f*cking idea about lead patterns.
Then a good defensive unit can also zone off, instead of being dictated by the forwards.

This is an example of a good defender, and one that clubs are willing to hand over 2 first round picks to get their hands on.

Francis has the footballing brain and ability to get to this level, he just needs to get his Body in shape.

3 Likes

I agree with your comment.

But an unfit defender will cost you more than an unfit forward.

In addition clubs like to have a settled back 6 / 7 who can back it up week on week.

The debate about which area of the ground you run the most is irrelevant compared to whether you have the ability to compete contest after contest.

If heā€™s still unfit next year he wonā€™t be getting a game and he probably wonā€™t make it

1 Like

I see Francis as a natural rebounding defender who can spend time on the ball, with the occasional spell forward for impact. Watching him play I think he gets a bit lost playing forward when he depends on the ball being delivered to him. Heā€™s an aggressive, confident footballer who reads the play better than most, and is best taking the game on. In time I can imagine him becoming one of the better intercept marks in the competition, and with his flair and kicking skills, setting up many attacks.

For now thatā€™s where Iā€™d like to see him settle. I donā€™t think weā€™ve done him many favours shifting him around. Let him own a position, and get promoted on the strength of that. With time and better aerobic capacity I can see him starting in the centre square for patches - much as we anticipate Stringer will - where his aggression and strength can make a real impact. When heā€™s on heā€™s very dynamic.

Disagree: Rance, Hurley, Gibson and Taylor have played this role and been super important to their teams.

The 3rd defender is no longer the weakest defender, it should be your strongest who then zones off and intercepts. Look at what Melbourne just gave to get Lever.

1 Like

Fletcher?

2 Likes

Iā€™d just be happy if he made it at this rate after his output to date. People putting him in their best 22, saying heā€™ll be a gun etc is just pie in the sky stuff and more hope than anything because the bloke hasnā€™t proved anything in 2 years

Heā€™s got a long way to go before heā€™s best 22. Iā€™m hardly sold in him but I hope like hell he makes it as a regular. I donā€™t dislike Francis, thatā€™s just the reality of the situation

11 Likes

The thing you are missing is they all learned to be the number 1 / 2 defender first.

Zerrettā€™s ironing is absolutely elite I hear but he needs to work on his mopping to take the next step.

3 Likes

This. You canā€™t carry someone who isnā€™t AFL fit in a team period. If he doesnā€™t have the endurance to play as a defender next season we wonā€™t be hiding him in the forward pocket (except in the VFL).

Is that a pressing need, or will we be taken to the cleaners?

1 Like

Who is he going to replace in the proposed forward line for next season? Right now, he would be about 10th in line for a spot there, if that.

1 Like

I say if he plays reserves, stick him in the guts and only the guts. I donā€™t care if the is detrimental to the side, he is not going to get fit as a third back or forward in the 2ā€™s.

If he plays seniors, playing him to his strengths will grow his confidence. Intercept back.

This year is imperative for him to show something. Either to show he will be a very good footballer for us, or bump his trade value if he still wants to go.

Having him rot away in the back pocket of the 2ā€™s next year is unacceptable.

2 Likes

We need to thinking beyond next season, an in particular a Hooker succession plan. Hooker is 29, and has a history of doing hammys. Outside Hooker and Daniher, we have very little marking power forward of the ball. By contrast, we have Hurley, Ambrose, Brown and Hartley available as tall defenders, and of course our best key defender in Hooker has been forced forward because of this imbalance.

1 Like