#10 St Francis de Agressi - up to 2021 round 2

Hird era Ambrose?

2 Likes

Joey played the first half of ANZAC day at half forward.

1 Like

Joe works best getting up the ground. Sit frang in the goal squares.

4 Likes

At best Azza is a HFF who gets 5-10 possessions and impacts with long straight kicking for goal. At worst, he fails to apply enough defensive pressure and the ball exits our forward line too easily. He is not a replacement for Mitch Brown, but might be able to replace Stringer if Jake is needed in a different role. Prior to selection in the 1s Azza might need a run of games in the 2s playing forward to work on leading patterns and defensive pressure.
Playing forward is obviously a much more difficult task for him than playing 3rd tall back. But he has star qualities and the backs are settled, so hopefully he learns quickly.

Youā€™d think the natural match ups would be:
JoeDan v Blicavs
Stringer v Stewart
Frang v Henry

So plz woosha give me some sweet Francis v Henry 1 out in the goalsquareā€¦ Ooooh baby

Didnā€™t think Francis was anywhere near the top 3 or 4 demanding an AFL game, irrespective of how we go about covering anyone who canā€™t get up after ANZAC day.
Draper, McNiece, Ham and Begley looked more intent on making a claim today.
Langford needs some serious one on one with Hepp about intensity and where he wants to take his footy career.

4 Likes

Surely he gets a game, heā€™s a better forward than Clarke and youā€™d also say Draper. With no Brown and McKernan he gets the nod.

Harry Taylor is the other tall who could play on Francis.
I agree with your other 2 likely match ups.

1 Like

Yep, I thought similarly. He looked better when he ranged higher up, actually.

Geelong play a tall back 6. Taylor, Bliczavs, Henry, Kolodjashn, Stewart. Maybe Toohey and Clark are the nearest they are likely to play to small defenders. We are unlikely to worry them with height.

Itā€™s clear what youā€™re saying.

Bring in Mozzie!!

3 Likes

Weā€™re capable with only JD and Stringer as our marking targets given Jake is pretty much a small KP.

But I would rather bring in Francis.

1 Like

Tbh, Iā€™d probably go with Langford as a lead up forward over Francis.

Or we could go abit smaller, by having Begley come in to the side.

3 Likes

Apparently, Francis trained with the forwards today.

2 Likes

BRING

tenor

17 Likes

Could Always move hurley forward and put francis in his spot,
Franga isnt as good a 1on1 player but he does intercept and read the play almost as well.

I would normally suggest throwing hooker forward but to me he is too good in the backline because he can play on almost anyone and beat them in a 1v1 marking contest

We do have plenty of options in terms of throwing the magnets around but Iā€™d prefer to leave the defence as is to give them the chance to gel further and bring in Franga to play forward

2 Likes

Fair call :slight_smile:

1 Like

Francis could become a really interesting prospect as a perm forward. Iā€™ve mentioned previously that I think he could be a good forward. He has wonderful tools to be successful.

My major concern is does he have the fitness required of a creative modern forward?

I donā€™t know the answer to this question.
I feel like when he is involved in games, his effort goes up along with his impact.
But when he isnā€™t near the ball his interest fades.

He is a natural footballer and does almost everything instinctively exceptionally well although when he isnā€™t in the play, he can appear disinterested and even lazy.

If he is involved in the game and kicks goals / sets up teams mates I reckon he may get over this apparent ā€œfitnessā€ issue. This issue I feel is partly conditioning, but predominantly a mental hurdle.

Itā€™s like my own situation, I donā€™t exercise enough.

When Iā€™m involved I feel my limitations but when itā€™s fun I just throw myself at it and grow. I extend myself heaps. I can get way more out of my body when Iā€™m simply in the moment going for it and not caught up in reflection.

I think that Francis will actually become a very dangerous forward, although letā€™s be honest he wonā€™t be a great defensive forward. Will he provide more than Zac Clark defensively? At this stage, I would say about the same, but he offers so much upside as a fwd than Clark with his kicking, marking, contested game and footy nous.

Begley is another guy we could bring in offering something a bit different who may be able to do occasional mid field forays.

Iā€™d be very happy for Francis to play a role up front. Going on his training loads, impact and performance in the 2s Begley is well and truly ready for a sustained senior football match.

Both are way too good for VFL.

1 Like